Dummies... Yay or nay?

Wow...can't believe some of the comments...LeeAnne uses a dummy but she only takes it for a few minutes and then falls asleep and she spits it out so it's like she just needs it to put herself to sleep then is done with it..

still baffled as to why people are so rude and judgemental and feel the need to say what they do! :dohh:

I didn't.. did try him once but he always spat it out so been quite lucky there.

I cant believe Ive actually seen some of the things I have on here today.

Seth uses a dummy but he only has it at bedtime. I wouldn't give him it through the day and I under no circumstances give him it to 'shut him up'.

xxx

firstly this thread is funny :rofl:

secondly i also must be a crack whore :rofl:

my son had a dummy and hes now 7 and doesnt have "bucked teeth" or any other problems for that matter!!!

infact i found some comments on here rude, unsensitive, uncalled for and sterotypical,

if you cant say anything nice then dont say f' all

may i please join the whore club?? :blush: i love greggs to :rofl:

:shock: Some of the stuff posted, I'm appalled at. :nope:

I cant believe how some posts have escalated lately, it feels like it is starting to drag down the forum... :(

About pacis or dummys, yes we use them. I have pics of Erica in the hospital with a paci in her mouth, when she was a couple of days old. She generally has one when we are in the car, since we are unable to give her constant attention while driving.. Or going to bed sometimes. Basically if Erica wants one, she can have one, but we dont force it on her. I thought we would wean her from it at 1, but since we dont seem to have a problem with her using it too much, I'm not worried about it yet. I've never used drugs, I'm not an alcoholic, and while I dont own my own home yet (simply because the median home value in town we live is $1,000,000 and we cant afford that), we do have a nice home, in a safe area. Erica is probably one of the happiest babies you will meet. She is not neglected or ignored in anyway. There are a lot of benefits to pacis, like reducing the risk of SIDS, and we use the orthodontic pacis. I sucked my thumb until I was like 5, and had to go through 3 years of braces because of it. I dont want Erica to have the same problem.

Hahaa! Well then, I must be a crack whore lazy mum that cant be bothered to find out what is wrong with my baby. How rude can you be?!!?
YES my son has a dummy and Im happy about that!! My parents never gave me a dummy and guess what... I STILL suck my thumb because of it and Im 19 next month. Its very embarressing staying at someone elses house and they see me sleeping with my fuckin thumb in my mouth and I dont want my son to have to go through that, so I gave him a dummy.

I dont SHOVE it in his mouth to shut him up. I know when theres something wrong with him. I simply give him the dummy to settle him. He will take his dummy at night to get him to sleep, then he spits it out and will sleep up to 11 hours without his dummy. So I dont see the problem in it!

And wtf is all that about Greggs?? Crazy.

And I dont live on a council estate but I live in a rough area and yes Im a teenage mum but I am a GOOD mum and so f*ckin what if my baby has a dummy - Im not a druggy, Im just a mum who's baby takes comfort from a dummy.

Enough said :)

x

I totally didn't read the whole thread before I posted my answer... :rofl:
Boy did I miss out on lots!
I think it is ridiculous that someone could have an opinion like that. I realize some people are either for or against paci's, just like BF'ing, or co-sleeping, etc.. But to say the things you did about those that use paci's?! MY GOD!
If I were to let my little guy comfort suck on my nipples when he wants to - nearly all day long i'll add - the bloody things would fall off!!!!!
I think things should be thought over much better before saying something like that, that obviously would offend/anger a lot of people!

all my boys had one and i'll give this bubs one.

some of the comments made on this thread have been plain rude and dissapointing !!!

I didn't read through all 17 pages, but got to about page 5 and wow I can't believe some people. Just going from what was said at that point....

Yes all 3 of mine had pacifiers AND we never let them cio, I am very attentive andalways know why my kids are crying...it was never a reason to shut them up..thanks :) First of all, it reduces sids so there are pluses to it, not just negatives. And germ covered? I don't know where some pacis have been but I can say ours aren't lol. It's a natural reflex for babies to want to suck even when they aren't hungry, which is why we gave them to them, we didn't want them to end up sucking their thumbs because that is a much harder habit to break...and personally I think that would be germ filled considering everything kids touch (not putting down any kids that do suck their thumbs, just making a point lol). Also I did nurse and I didn't just rely on the pacifier for comfort for them, they nursed for comfort alot but having more than one child it makes it very hard to have a baby attached to you at all times, there is nothing wrong with a pacifier

Oh hell yeah! We use a dummy/pacifier, Dummy = godsend, whether this make me a junkie, I dunno!

ok i'll elaborate....

child asleep quite happy with dummy in... child wakes up screaming. parent says oh shove dummy in it'll go back to sleep / shut up and parent continues to ignore baby... WTF! i live on a scummy council estate where most parents are either drunk or drugged up to bother with their kids and use dummies to make their child silent so they can continue to go about their dealing/ injecting whatever they do all day. they have babies to get money for their habits . when us parents who arent into that kinda crap report parents like that, soc services just say oh we're too busy. (i live in doncaster, google doncaster soc serv im sure you'll have some fun reading). oh and this estates rife with ppl who when babies drop dummies on street they lick it and put back in babies mouth. OMG how revolting!

oh and round here playgroups and sure start centres wont let a child (toddling age +) in if its got a dummy in. they have to hang their dummies on a dummy hook if they wont give to parent. wassat about? surely thats gonna get germ covered just hangin there on a hook on a wall? cant be sanitary.....

I am not on drugs. I am not an alcoholic. I have given my kids a dummy but not to shut them up.

Thank you for grouping everyone who uses a dummy in the same outrageous sweeping generalisation.

Just read this whole thread........ what in the Lord's name is that?! Lisa, I completely agree...... I am gobsmacked!! Which is a good job because I must be a smack addict too...... I'm going to be as ineloquent as the author of this incendiary post and say..... piss off... you do not have the right to judge me or anyone else who uses a dummy. Pah! Off with you...

I wish I hadn't started this thread! I just assumed that people wouldn't have been so narrow minded. Crack whores indeed....

you started a perfectly acceptable thread... shame some narrow minded person had to make it so vindictive... xxxxx

Yep we use a dummy, no I don't think I'm a lazy parent (well most days :rofl:) it's comfort item, and all in all considering what other crap she puts in her mouth these days her dummy is one of the cleaner objects :lol:. We could have let her suck her hands but honestly she's quite a drooler and her hands stay really cracked, red, and sore already from it so I'd much rather she used a dummy

haha so true about "the other crap she puts in her mouth :lol:

Alexa doesn't take a dummy, tried several times, but she wouldn't take! She does put lots of things in her mouth throughout the day, last pediatrician appointment, she was trying to eat the footstool lol-Her pediatrician just laughed and said that it's okay, and actually good for a baby/toddler to suck on/put in their mouth, random things, because it helps build their immune system-yes, I did take the footstool from her, but my God, this is a germ filled world, can't live in a bubble your whole life!

I do have some slim fast in my fridge. My OH's little brother bought it hahah and left it here. I have never tried it, is it any good?

OT but If you add icecream and whisk it up it tastes much nicer!!

Woow..touchy subject for some I see!

I gave Kyle a dummy when he was a few days old because of the amount of times he was being held down and blood drawn from him and at that point he hadn't found comfort in anything else, even although I was BF at the time, he never found comfort in it and the nurse suggested a dummy. And he loved it!
Now he only takes it whilst he's going to sleep or if i'm having to leave him with someone as he's going through a very clingy stage :)

Ahh well.... I guess all those sleepless nights, nights I spent rocking her, comforting her, cuddling her, soothing her didn't happen.
I didn't really get up at 3 am every night until she was 4 months old.

It must have all been a crack induced hallucination.

:dohh:

words are getting a bit twisted I think! Icculcaz didn't say any of us were crack whores so why keep writing as if she did she meerly pointed out about the families and what they're like where she lives as it also says about where she lives! I also think it was a bit wrong to say for her to piss off when certain people keep bringing it up! This is a strong subject because there is no right or wrong, some people use dummys some don't! Maybe Reading someones post better would be better everybody else got to express their opinions so why not just leave it as it was left

Claire will only take a soother if she's super sleepy. If not, forget it. I personally don't think that there is anything wrong with using them... if it helps a baby to calm down how is that bad?

words are getting a bit twisted I think! Icculcaz didn't say any of us were crack whores so why keep writing as if she did she meerly pointed out about the families and what they're like where she lives as it also says about where she lives! I also think it was a bit wrong to say for her to piss off when certain people keep bringing it up! This is a strong subject because there is no right or wrong, some people use dummys some don't! Maybe Reading someones post better would be better everybody else got to express their opinions so why not just leave it as it was left

I think sometimes Caz doesn't word things in the most tactful way. I understand why people have been offended by the way she put her point across, but I think it's important to recognise what she actually said. As you say Deb, she was simply stating what her experience has been of the people around her and stating that she is not like them.

Still a horrendous generalisation though.

Not everyone is council estates are like that, in fact Im almost certain its only a minority. And I wonder how many drug users/dealers own their own homes?

Not everyone who lives in these estates have children to claim benefits

Not everyone who uses a dummy is a lazy parent, as a few girls have stated in here their reasons for using a dummy.

My father brought me up on a council estate and worked his arse off, I used a dummy, he claimed benefits that he was entitled to, and worked 2 jobs as well as studying a masters degree at university whilst bringing me up on his own.

If you get my drift, the way she spoke was offensive and upset me.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->