Dummies... Yay or nay?

Few pages back i mentioned i took it off Oscar because he got Thrush ...

Well consider me a weak mummy !, After the last 3 hours of constant screaming for it (I knew it was that he wanted he was clean fed cuddled) i gave in and give it to him , Now i have one sleeping quiet Oscar at last phewwwwwww .

We gave Charlotte one, but until she was 6 months old she couldn't have cared less about it. She would just spit them out. Once she hit 6 mo. I offered her one on a whim and she LOVES it all of a sudden. She isn't overly attached, I can take it away from her and she doesn't have a freak out, she can sleep w/o it, she just prefers to have it and I think it looks cute so she'll have it until she's about 18 mo...then it's going to go away with the Binky Fairy

Woohoo I was a crack whore :happydance::happydance:
This thread is sooooooooooooo freaking funny.:rofl::rofl:

I was 19 when my mum had my brother and she was adamant that he didn't have a dummy. I didn't and she didn't either. I didn't suck my thumb and neither did my brother. I do remember wondering why she wouldn't give him a dummy when he would cry for what seemed like forever but she was determined and she went through it. He never ever had a dummy.

What I don't like about dummies is that I think they cover such a large part of the baby's face you can't see them properly, I know friend's who have children who just have to have their dummy all their time or else they are not happy, and finally the worst one of all for me is watching is a parent/grandparent/whoever is looking after the baby putting a dummy in it's mouth when it's perfectly happy! I know there is probably no harm but it's just my opinion - I don't like to see dummies given to babies for no apparant reason.

So all in all whilst I am not 'against' dummies, I fairly certain my baby won't be getting one, though hubby is a bit less sure than me at this time!

ok i'll elaborate....

child asleep quite happy with dummy in... child wakes up screaming. parent says oh shove dummy in it'll go back to sleep / shut up and parent continues to ignore baby... WTF! i live on a scummy council estate where most parents are either drunk or drugged up to bother with their kids and use dummies to make their child silent so they can continue to go about their dealing/ injecting whatever they do all day. they have babies to get money for their habits . when us parents who arent into that kinda crap report parents like that, soc services just say oh we're too busy. (i live in doncaster, google doncaster soc serv im sure you'll have some fun reading). oh and this estates rife with ppl who when babies drop dummies on street they lick it and put back in babies mouth. OMG how revolting!

oh and round here playgroups and sure start centres wont let a child (toddling age +) in if its got a dummy in. they have to hang their dummies on a dummy hook if they wont give to parent. wassat about? surely thats gonna get germ covered just hangin there on a hook on a wall? cant be sanitary.....

I am not on drugs. I am not an alcoholic. I have given my kids a dummy but not to shut them up.

Thank you for grouping everyone who uses a dummy in the same outrageous sweeping generalisation.

Just read this whole thread........ what in the Lord's name is that?! Lisa, I completely agree...... I am gobsmacked!! Which is a good job because I must be a smack addict too...... I'm going to be as ineloquent as the author of this incendiary post and say..... piss off... you do not have the right to judge me or anyone else who uses a dummy. Pah! Off with you...

It's every parent's choice whether to use a dummy or not and when used sensibly in moderation when necessary there is nothing inherently wrong with them. I apologise if anything I said caused outright offence, I was simply stating my personal reasons for not liking them and I did try to do so in a non-offensive way :blush:

both my kids are finger suckers so a dummy seemed ideal although Lilly's going to be weaned off hers soon (theres gonna be tears!)

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not but they actually reccomend soothers now as it has been proven to reduce the risk of SIDS. MAM give them away free in magazines to promote this.

Austin had one for his colic- would scream in pain and get windy and in such a state that he would bring up his milk, give him a dummy as a pain relief soother and he stated to put weight on and stayed calm between feeds. Never slept with it in can self sooth and go without now he is out growing his colic. Life saver for my sanity and stopped my little boy stessing out- cant be bad

Wtf :rofl:
Can i just say holly had a dummy and can talk great robyn on the other hand didint and she as seech probs so i just think that is a load of shit :rofl:

OHHH i must be a crack whore aswell as i grew up on a council estate and give my kids greggs :rofl:

ok i'll elaborate....

child asleep quite happy with dummy in... child wakes up screaming. parent says oh shove dummy in it'll go back to sleep / shut up and parent continues to ignore baby... WTF! i live on a scummy council estate where most parents are either drunk or drugged up to bother with their kids and use dummies to make their child silent so they can continue to go about their dealing/ injecting whatever they do all day. they have babies to get money for their habits . when us parents who arent into that kinda crap report parents like that, soc services just say oh we're too busy. (i live in doncaster, google doncaster soc serv im sure you'll have some fun reading). oh and this estates rife with ppl who when babies drop dummies on street they lick it and put back in babies mouth. OMG how revolting!

oh and round here playgroups and sure start centres wont let a child (toddling age +) in if its got a dummy in. they have to hang their dummies on a dummy hook if they wont give to parent. wassat about? surely thats gonna get germ covered just hangin there on a hook on a wall? cant be sanitary.....

I am not on drugs. I am not an alcoholic. I have given my kids a dummy but not to shut them up.

Thank you for grouping everyone who uses a dummy in the same outrageous sweeping generalisation.

Just read this whole thread........ what in the Lord's name is that?! Lisa, I completely agree...... I am gobsmacked!! Which is a good job because I must be a smack addict too...... I'm going to be as ineloquent as the author of this incendiary post and say..... piss off... you do not have the right to judge me or anyone else who uses a dummy. Pah! Off with you...

I wish I hadn't started this thread! I just assumed that people wouldn't have been so narrow minded. Crack whores indeed....

deacon never had one, wouldnt take it, but winter has had one from 2 weeks old. she was comforting on me a lot, i thouhgt she was bfing for like 2 hours at a time, my hv suggested to try her with the cherry shape as its easier for her to hold on to, and she started to feed more proficiently and used the dummy for comfort. when she gets a little bigger i will try to wean her from it, shes using it less and less anyway, or if she does want to still have one, ill get a teeth friendly shape one

The stuff said by icculcaz has really p'eed me off..... what a friggin joke... im amazed anyone would have the ordacity to make such a huge generalisation like that.
Its a joke that anyone actually stereotypes to that extent. Its seriously offended me.

Erin was a very sucky baby - tried giving her a dummy, she spat it out and wouldn't take it. Tried several times - no luck. However she did find her thumb and sucks it when she is tired and to help her drift off to sleep, then it falls out and she sleeps happily. I have no problem with her doing this if it helps her settle and sooths her.

shifter - firstly i didn't find your opinion hurtful at all, i thought your put across your own point in an excellent manner :)

to the original qu - i love dummies! for us they are great! maddi's not obbessed with her's, but she does like it for comfort. i couldn't breastfeed so wasn't worried about nipple confussion and it really helped. my dummies come straight out of my milton solution, into my freshly miltoned holder, and i can ensure anyone who is concerned, maddi too is well milton's :rofl: (in fact you all no i'm obbessed with the stuff!) i choose to use them as i didn't want her sucking her thumb or hands, and i had read into the link with SID and how they regulate breathing, and she likes it and finds comfort from it, imo :)

icculcaz - i think you're comments were rude and completely uncalled for, (bexy was simply asking what others thought, she asked for no rudeness) and i, although probably not in the best of moods, certainly took offensive, there are ways of saying things, and at the end of the day, a forum is about different opinions, you might not agree with them, but judgement is not called for. if your interested, i am certainly not a lazy mummy, maddi is progressing beautifully and ive very proud of us both, i own my own house, my OH works hard, and we don't live on a council estate - but if we did, so what! i could still be and i would still be a good mother, dummy or not.

Well said Carly :) I always take Grace's dummy out when she doesn't need it, I don't let her keep it in 24/7. And you're right, I DID ask for no rudeness!

There is nothing wrong with pacifiers. I gave Peyton one for the first month or two but he never really needed it so I quit trying to give it to him. Now, I just don't want to start it because then that would just be one more thing that I would have to break him of. It's just a parents choice to use them or not, what's the big deal? :shrug:

Becky has one, we started using it about 4 days ago, she gets very tired in the evening and its the only thing that will stop her screaming long enough to get wind out of her...shes not allowed it in the day tho or at night, only in the evening....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->