Dummy addict!

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
DS1 will be 2.5 later this month and is absolutely addicted to the dummy. From Christmas to March he only had it at bedtime (not even naptime) but since then he constantly either had one in his mouth or is asking for one. His dummy is taken away from him every morning when he gets out of bed but he'll steal his little brother (who is almost 9 months old) right out of his mouth. He'll even steal his brother's dummy if he's already found one and then put two in his mouth. It's driving me insane. His speech is fantastic so I'm not worried about that but I'm desperately trying to ditch the dummy.

I've tried talking to him about how he is a big boy, his brother is a baby and dummies are for babies. He definitely gets the concept but he ignores me and still steals the dummy anyway. I take it away from him and explain it's his brother's but two seconds later he'll take it again - even if his brother is crying/sleeping.

I'm sick fed up of this stupid dummy situation and looking for any suggestions of how to get rid of it. I would love to go cold turkey but with his brother teething and using one it's just not possible.

I took my son's away just before he turned 2, I cut a bit of the tip off the teat and he spent 10 minutes doing a cycle of sucking it, giving it to me, taking it back and then he left it and wasn't bothered again. I was terrified for the first night but there were no issues, it worked amazingly well for him!

My two was hun! My daughter was 2 and gave dummy to the dummy fairy, well she had no choice I binned it and she had to deal with it! My son was even worse I think he just turned 4 when he got rid of his, in the end I just binned it aswel because it looked vile at 4! They got over it pretty quickly, surprisingly my son got over it quicker considering he was more of an addict!

DS1 will be 2.5 later this month and is absolutely addicted to the dummy. From Christmas to March he only had it at bedtime (not even naptime) but since then he constantly either had one in his mouth or is asking for one. His dummy is taken away from him every morning when he gets out of bed but he'll steal his little brother (who is almost 9 months old) right out of his mouth. He'll even steal his brother's dummy if he's already found one and then put two in his mouth. It's driving me insane. His speech is fantastic so I'm not worried about that but I'm desperately trying to ditch the dummy.

I've tried talking to him about how he is a big boy, his brother is a baby and dummies are for babies. He definitely gets the concept but he ignores me and still steals the dummy anyway. I take it away from him and explain it's his brother's but two seconds later he'll take it again - even if his brother is crying/sleeping.

I'm sick fed up of this stupid dummy situation and looking for any suggestions of how to get rid of it. I would love to go cold turkey but with his brother teething and using one it's just not possible.

Hi my dd is 4 now. When she was 2 years 8 months i told her she had to get rid of it as it was yucky but we would have a party to celebrate. We got her a cheap birthday cake. Made a picnic on the floor and put all her teddies around to join in. Then we made a chart and put a happy face sticker on it each day to praise her. 4 days later she had forgotten all about it. She occasionally puts her 1 year old brothers in to be a clown now. I tell her its yucky and to take it out.

Maybee its worth a little bribe x

my DS is 3 and he's absolutely obsessed with dummies. He has to hold one in his hand as well as having one in his mouth. I've been trying to take them off him a bit in the day and tell him that he needs to give his mouth a break, lol. He will still have them at night for quite a while I imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->