early crawling

kmac625

Mom to baby Clara
Reaction score
So, Clara started pushing herself backwards at 4 months and is now doing a hybrid of commando and bear style crawling forward at 5 months. Being the proud Mommy I am I thought this was all good (yet scary as I'm nowhere near baby-proofed yet). However, I had a friend tell me that it's bad for her to be pushing herself up the way she does (she does the downward dog position of yoga all the time when down on the floor playing). According to this friend it will make her ankles and wrists have problems because they shouldn't be taking the weight of her body so young (she doesn't weigh alot mind you, 14lb 3oz at her 5 month appointment). I think my friend is talking out her a$$ personally, but it has me a little worried that she might be right. Anyone else ever heard of this. Here's a picture so you see what I mean.

Attachments

• Trying to stand.jpg
    Trying to stand.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 15
Thomas does this too!! He has done it infront of loads of health visitors at a local baby cafe and nobondy has said anything. Thomas weighed 17lb a month ago! If your friends statement were true he'd be screwed!
But I very much doubt she is, if they werent ready to do this they wouldnt have the body strength to do so! I'm not worried! Shes probably jealous her lo couldnt do it at such an early age!
xxx

my LO was proper crawling at 5 months and 3 weeks and he weighed nearly 20lb! done him no harm at all that I am aware of and besides, its impossible to stop them!
cute pic xx

Very doubtful, I think your friend is talking out of her ass too :haha: she's just a very clever baby!! x

Daisy crawled on all 4s and 5 1/2 months, she's fine! And she was about 23lbs :lol:

My LO crawled at 5months and hes got no probs at all! xxx

Very doubtful, I think your friend is talking out of her ass too :haha: she's just a very clever baby!! x

WSS

I wish my son would crawl. I just want him to do it before I go back to work lol don't want to miss it

I agree ur frind is full of £$% When i was lil i walked at9months and my mum kept sitting me down cus her mum told her ide have bow legs?! lol and so she did then when she saw HV tol her and she said "if a baby does something they're ready to do it. Leave her alone"

I agreee. If they wasnt ready/it hurt they wouldnt do it!

Be proud of ur LO. She's very clever :)
and ignore ur friend.

probably another of those old wives tales along the lines of not letting them 'stand up' supported on your knee as they'll end up bow legged, I'd say your friend is talking rubbish

I don't think she'd be physically able to do it if she wasn't ready to do it. Babies all do things in their own time when they are ready. She's just advanced! Very cute picture :)

I'm pretty sure people say these things sometimes because they don't want your child crawling/standing/walking earlier than theirs did :rofl:

It won't do any harm. A has always liked standing up and was crawling at 6 months and now walks with one of those pushalong toys - he has no problems at all.

And as for getting bow legs - it's the muscles getting stronger that straightens the legs so they are more likely to get straight early!

Thanks eveyone! I was sure she was full of crap, but she has three older kids so I thought maybe she knew something I didn't.

She doesn't know more than you... She just listened to all the old wives tales.

I can't believe Clara is crawling already. I wish my son would.

I don't think she'd be physically able to do it if she wasn't ready to do it. Babies all do things in their own time when they are ready. She's just advanced! Very cute picture :)

I agree. My Sophie was also doing this at just before 6 months. She started standing at 8 months, and the first couple of times she did it, she looked like her ankles would snap!! But like katy says, she wouldnt do it if she wasnt physically able.

rubbish!
if it wasn't comfortable LO wouldn't do it - simple.
if LO's body wasn't strong enough, again, wouldn't do it.
you should see the funny movements mine makes with her backwards crawling, bum shuffling and army crawling but with her left arm and leg lame.
they are stupidly flexible, dont worry x

What are you supposed to do? Put a brick on her back to stop her doing it?!

If it was bad and hurt them they simply wouldn't do it lol my lo did this at 5 months and started crawling at 8 months and She is fine!!!( saying that she was born with a dodgy ankle but nothing to do with pushing herself up)

I agree. My Sophie was also doing this at just before 6 months. She started standing at 8 months, and the first couple of times she did it, she looked like her ankles would snap!! But like katy says, she wouldnt do it if she wasnt physically able.

Don't get me started on standing lol. Clara's favourite position is standing while holding onto us to keep her balance. She started doing it just before 3 months!!! Now I'm gonna start boasting heehee. Here's a pic of her just before she was 3 months old with my dh's hand at her back to stop her from toppling over.

Attachments

• Standing mostly on her own.jpg
    Standing mostly on her own.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 2
If she didnt want to do it, she wouldnt! Go her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->