Early potty training

Angel2Fire

Reaction score
I asked in another section of the forum but thought there might be more like minded people in here :)

I would like to start getting Chaise used to the potty. I'm not planning to have him out of nappies in 2 weeks or anything, I would just like to "start" it. In my opinion (and this is just my opinion so please don't shout at me) it seems that the norm is to leave toddlers quite late to begin potty training. I know a lot of people like to wait till they can walk and talk but that just doesnt feel right to me.
We do baby signing with Chaise and he is very good at telling us when he wants his nappy changing, so I dont see why I couldnt begin teaching him how to sign to us before he fills his nappy. I'm not expecting miracles or anything and if it does't work then there's no harm done.
I've also heard of a method (I can't remember the name though) where you can train them from birth. I'm thinking of using some of that method along with baby signing. Chaise is a very bright baby and has picked up signing very quickly.
I've also heard some people say (basically) Whats the point when they can't walk because you still have to take them to the potty... but I don't see it like that. I see it as preparing him for the future. I probably make a lot of things harder for myself because everything is about Chaise and whats best for him and will prepare him for the future, rather than the quickest or easiest method. (I'm not saying people who do that are bad, its just that different things work for different people :) )

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I was just wondering if anyone in here has started potty training early? And if you got any results from it?

Thanks for reading :)

Elimination communication is what the method. It is about learning the cues thatt the baby has when they need to go to the toilet.

https://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com/elimination-communication.html

This website has taught me a lot about it. Mostly because it uses the mothers journey of it.

Starting potty training earlier not only is great preparation it also means, if it works out, you baby can be nappy free a lot sooner and that is always good.

There are other forums you can find that have entire sections on EC (Elimination Communication). Just google it!

We aren't going to do EC -- at least not anytime soon. But I have read that some parents have great success with it.

I've heard of this and hope to start preparing Ruby at around 6-8m. We want to do the baby signing, too. What age did you start and how quickly did Chaise start picking it up? x

We'll be potty training "early" too. I can't stand seeing 3 year olds still in nappies and know I'd rather not still be changing nappies on a child that old. I can't share any tips though as we haven't tried it yet lol! I think we'll probably start when he's about 15-18 months with a view to having him out of nappies by the time he is 2 years. I thought about doing EC from birth but with one thing or another we never got into it. No reason not to start now/soon though :thumbup:

wow, just had a read of that website... looks great! What a fantastic idea! can imagine its a lot of hard work tho!

I can't pass any information on to you about it but I just wanted to say that I had heard about early potty training and was going to look into it too. The way I see it is there is no harm giving it a go and with any luck it will make life easier for everyone involved if it works. :thumbup:

wow, just had a read of that website... looks great! What a fantastic idea! can imagine its a lot of hard work tho!

Not with a newborn. It's harder to start with an older baby but if you do it from day one it looks pretty easy to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->