Early scan left me confused

SleepyBaby

Reaction score
Going by my Lmp i should be around 7 weeks, i went to scan today ( early scan due to previous pregnancy being blighted ovum) and all went well, first she pointed out a little small itty bitty baby, then a little flicker of the heartbeat! :) so happy!!

But then she said ive to go back in two weeks for another scan because baby is measuring 4 weeks, she said that its nothing to be concered about BUT baby is smaller than it should be.

That means there is 2 1/2 - 3 weeks differance in what should be seen and what was. Does anyone have any experiance with this or know anything about it?

Babys heartbeat shouldnt develope until around 6 weeks so it has to be around 6 weeks+ now as we seen it flicker?

She probably meant 4 weeks gestation so 6 weeks instead of 7

Never thought about it like that, i seen baby and a heartbeat so thats alot more meaning that a few numbers i guess :)

it was amazing to see, just a little flicker!

Yea I'm pretty sure that's what they meant. And I'm happy for you glad the baby is healthy!!! I have to wait until June 14 to get my scan :(

Do you know exactly when you ovulated? Because if not, maybe you ovulated and implanted later in your cycle. Coupled with scans can sometimes be out by a week or more (I had several scans with ds and dd2) and I remember the sonography saying It can be easy to measure inaccurately.

You have a heartbeat and that's a really healthy sign. Try not to worry :flower:

At 4 weeks they wouldn't really see anything on a scan, nevermind heartbeat. She must have meant GA rather than LMP. Early scans can be a bit out either way because they are working on such tiny measurements.

sounds like baby actually measured 6 weeks. I know at 4 weeks the baby is sometimes not even visible, certainly not a heartbeat. Seeing a heartbeat is always great news! :D good luck!

Do you have the actual crl (size of baby). Cos mine only measured 3.8mm which is fifth percentile for 6 weeks 3 days, but she kept saying she couldn't get a good view. I am going to go back in a week to see if the measurement is closer to the dates.

As for sizes, there is a chart by days of gestation so you can check how many days gestation you are from LMP and the size from the chart.

https://www.fetalmedicine.com/synced/fmf/2010_27.pdf

At 4 weeks they wouldn't really see anything on a scan, nevermind heartbeat. She must have meant GA rather than LMP. Early scans can be a bit out either way because they are working on such tiny measurements.

Exactly this! There is nothing to see at 4 weeks pregnant. The baby is a (very, very) tiny ball of cells. She probably meant gestatonal age rather than what you would be going by LMP. That would make the pregnancy (baby) measuring at 6 weeks instead of 7, which isn't totally off base-- especially since the measurements are SO tiny at that stage. Seeing the heartbeat was a very good sign, in any case. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thankies all, i did wonder if how we saw bubs hb at 4 weeks so 6 weeks would make it a couple of days off rather than alot more, calmed down now, get another early scan in 2 weeks to make sure all is good, must say the hospital im going to really are trying to make things easier this time round, i text on friday asking for an early scan due to past pregnancies and they booked me in for on oday so that wasn't even a weeks wait where as my doctor had told me i wouldnt get one until 12 weeks! so glad my doc was wrong :D

the midwife gave me her mobile number the last pregnancy and told me to text her when/ if i got pregnant again and she would make things go as easily as possible!

all in all im a lucky duck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->