Early scan showing only gestational sac worried

mommasboys2

Reaction score
So I have had 3 previous mc and went today for my early scan. I am measuring 5 weeks 6 days but she only seen a gestational sac no yolk sac like I assumed should be there already. She drew blood to get my hcg beta and I go back again Friday to see if it's doubling. Then back Monday for another scan, but I already feel like I know what is going to happen. Any other ladies been in this situation and it turned out good? I can't help but to think the worst is happening yet again.

Attachments

• IMG_20150204_180752.jpg
    IMG_20150204_180752.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 29
I guess with 5 week scan I also saw only sac and then with next week further you'll see yolk sac and fetal pole etc so n also ur blood work will show hcg doubling fx hun

I had an early scan at 5.4 with my first because of heavy bleeding. They didn't see a fetal pole or yolk sac. It was just too early. A midwife even told me I was probably miscarrying. Luckily she was wrong. The bleeding was just a subchorionic hematoma. I hope your hcg results are good. That's what the real indicator is at this stage.

I had a scan at 6+1 that only showed a gestational sac that was measuring 5+5. I went back at 7+4 and LO caught right up to where he/she should be. Everything looked perfect with a heart rate of 150 bpm.

My levels were over 18,000, and, according to Dr. Google, anything over 10,000 should show gest. sac, yolk sac, and fetal pole with heartbeat. I thought for sure we'd have a blighted ovum based on that alone, but it goes to show that pregnancies are rarely textbook.

Some see a lot at that stage, some have gestational sac only and still go on to have healthy pregnancies.

I know it's scary, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Keep us posted on your scan! :hugs:

I had a scan at 6+1 but at the scan was pushed back to 5+4 and they could only see a sac and nothing more. Combined with my really low hcg everyone just assumed I would miscarry. But had my scan last week, measured a day ahead this time and saw a lovely little baby with a heartbeat. Some babies just take longer to her started I think.

Mine was exactly the same at that stage only gest sac. Two weeks later there was a baby with a heartbeat. I was so so worried like yourself and all turned out to be fine. Early scans are usually more worry than they're worth z

Thanks ladies that makes me feel a little better. I'm just going to put it out of my mind and see what she sees Monday and go from there.

Well just left the doctors office and my hcg level was 9000 Wednesday so she says we should have seen more than just a gestational sac. Now all I can do is wait for Monday's scan and pray everything is ok.

5 and a half weeks is VERY early and more often than not I hear of women only seeing a sac. My cousin went at 6 weeks and only saw a sac. It's just too early to see anything for majority of women. Her son is now 2 :)

Don't worry (impossible I know) your beta levels are great, that's what's more important. Your next scan will be great ♡

FX

Well just left the doctors office and my hcg level was 9000 Wednesday so she says we should have seen more than just a gestational sac. Now all I can do is wait for Monday's scan and pray everything is ok.

Not true! Not at all. While yes, you're levels do need to be at a certain point to see certain things, but just because you don't at a certain level doesn't mean anything!

At this early stage it's most definitely possible, especially if there was late implantation.

At 6 weeks, my levels were a little over 18,000, so by 6+1 they should've been about 23,000 (given the doubling rate from the beta I had a couple days prior). Knowing how high my hcg was and based on everything on the internet saying anything over 10,000 should show a gest scac, yolk sac, fetal pole and a heartbeat, I only at hag a gestational sac at 6+1 which measured 5+5.

Because of all the information I read, I truly believed I had a blighted ovum and was basically a mess. 10 days later later I had a baby measuring spot on where he/she was supposed to be and everything looked perfect.

It really boils down to if you had late implantation or if baby is just a little slower at progressing, which doesn't mean anything bad.

Even with my hcg and a gestational sac only, nobody ever said that they should have seen more because of my hcg. I even asked the tech about it because I felt so devastated. She said it's just early and this is what they expect to see (granted I know she couldn't really say anything re: levels).

I've read so many stories online about women wither higher hcg levels that only saw a gestational sac and saw a baby with a heart beat from anywhere within a few days to a couple of weeks (their scans could have been spaced out, so that's probably why the weeks).

Well hun good your hcg is great that's one thing which is required for viable pregnancy and the numbers are unique for each pregnancy only thing is that it should be doubling so feel good about that and m sure ur. Eat appointment ull see everything u want to : fx

Thanks ladies for all of the encouragement all I can do now is wait and pray.

Do you have a tilted uterus by any chance? This can often delay seeing the baby until it's much bigger. Sometimes not until 8/9 weeks along.

I did have a blighted ovum with my first pregnancy and while my hcG was progressing normally (even quickly!), we never got to see a baby. BUT that was much later that you are. I was 7w2d when I went in for the first scan that showed no baby, and had another one a week later at 8w2d, and then again at 9w, the day I ended up doing a D&C. Just to cover all bases and be certain there was no baby in there. But at less than 6 weeks along, don't worry just yet, and don't write it off.

Also, I have a friend whose first pregnancy was also a blighted ovum, like mine. In her second pregnancy she had early scans and she had one at 6w5d that only showed a sac and nothing else! Imagine her horror and pain when she thought she was having another blighted ovum. She had to wait 2 excruciating weeks to go back and find out what was up, but then she went in at 8w5d and they saw her little baby, heart beat and all. This baby is now a healthy 2 year old girl.

So, unfortunately it's a wait-and-see game at this point. Hopefully your next scan will prove your doctor's office wrong. Fingers crossed for you and let us know how it goes.

I have what they call a retroverted uterus idk if that has anything to do with it or not I didn't think to ask.

I have what they call a retroverted uterus idk if that has anything to do with it or not I didn't think to ask.

Yes it does! I have that too. It means we are harder to scan and we will show later in pregnancy because the uterus is tilted more towards the back. A sure possibility of why the baby at this stage would be harder to see than with a woman with a 'normal' uterus! ♡♡♡

I never even thought of that because with my two sons I had a normal uterus. It wasn't until I miscarried my first time and had a d&c done that my uterus tilted. I'm guessing something with that pregnancy or the d&c itself caused my uterus to tilt towards the back. When were you able to see the yolk sac and heart beat in your pregnancy? I am suppose to go back Monday for another scan and will be 7 weeks based off of when I Ovulated. I am positive of the dates bc I take opks and also track my temp.

That may definitely have something to do with it. Unfortunately not all doctors know (or admit) that. But don't let them scare you - at least not yet, as it's early. And yes, a uterus can change position at any time for many reasons. I had a retroverted uterus at some point (discovered during a routine pap smear, because it was harder for them to get the sample), but later on it just fixed itself, because now it's 'ante-verted'. Many times a pregnancy can 'correct' the uterus positioning too. But the way your uterus is positioned doesn't affect your ability to get pregnant or to sustain a pregnancy, so it isn't really a problem or a defect. Just more challenging to scan/examine.

I will mention it Monday at my appointment. I did some googling last night about this and it seems many women with a retroverted uterus didn't see their baby until 7+ weeks and one lady was almost 11 with all 3 pregnancies before they found her baby reach time!

It is very early. I know tons of people who didn't see anything until 7 to even a bit past 9 weeks! Some doctors don't even do scans that early. I have had a miscarriage and understand the fear and intense pain. Pleased try to enjoy your pregnancy each day. You know you have been through hell before. Wake up in the morning and think about caring for yourself and your enchanting little guy. Do that until you know different. That ultrasound means nothing right now.

Had another ultrasound today The baby is measuring 6 weeks 2 days so only 4 days behind which they said could be because my uterus is tilted towards the back and they said the heartbeat looked great for the baby's size. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->