Early Weaning Support Thread

Little update on Max and his weaning... thanks to the omeprazole he's like a different baby. After just a few days he was draining his bottles, he'd gone from screaming at least 10+ hours a day to barely crying at all! His day time naps have gone from 10-30 mins to 60-90 mins, he's less fidgety at night... he's having a little relapse at the mo but we think it's cos he had a massive growth spurt (put on 2.5lbs in 3 wks!) and the dose needs upping! We called the GP and he's given us the ok to go from 5mg to 7.5 so hopefully that'll help!

With his improvement I stopped giving him porridge and just reverted back to milk, his constipation and severe vomiting came back so he's back on some solids again. I've reduced it from a few spoonfulls after every day feed to two larger feeds and he seems to be doing well on it.

Also, as he's so close to 4mths a few days ago I started him on jars. I never wanted to go that route and favoured BLW but as he's on solids anyway i'd rather he have something a bit more nutritional than just porridge. He has 1/2 of a fruity type jar for breakfast (thickened with porridge) and 1/2 of a savoury jar (also thickened with porridge). He absolutely loves them. I guess all the different nasty tasting medicines he's had since birth has got him used to different tastes and textures. He now has 3 decent size and coloured poohs a day when before he'd struggle to have 1 hard, dark green pooh. He's still sickly after the feeds that he doesn't have food after but not nearly as much!

Early weaning really has worked for us, I was so completely against it, but as they say, every baby is different and some babies really do need it. I'm doing a lot of reading on BLW and still fully intend to start that once he's 6mo. I know the most change has been because of the medication, but early weaning has also played a part, and as he's only on a maximum of 28oz a day, I think he needs the extra cals.

Good luck with your own early weaning issues! This is a great place to ask Q's and discuss them!

Wow this is a great thread. I think we are going to have to wean early as James has a lactose intolerance. He was originally gaining weight ok but his last 3 weigh ins he has gained less than 1lb and is barely on the 9th centile. He is on a lactose free milk so there is no hungry baby alternative so I'm not sure where we go from here. Taking him to get weighed today but he only weighed 11lb 4oz at 11 weeks. He seems alot happier on the milk but he is now downing roughly 6oz every 3 hours but won't take any more per feed than this. Going to speak to the HV today about it.

Hi everyone :hi:

Weaning is going really well with Pops, she loves savoury food although doesn't seem to like anything sweet (fruit, baby breakfast cereal or puddings). I do seem to be feeding jars more often than not though as she really likes strong flavours and rejects my purees as "too bland" (thats the conclusion I have come to!!) She loves the baby cauliflower cheese and anything that has a tomatoey sauce - does anyone have any ideas of what I could make her at home?

I am wanting to make my own cheese sauce for her, do you think it would be ok to use low salt butter? I live in Germany and I can't find an unsalted version. Also, do we have to use full-fat milk in cooking or can we use skimmed? Also, can I start using any herbs in cooking? Or can anyone think of anything to add flavour to veg?

On a plus point she did gum a piece of apple today :happydance: and swollowed some chunks (the apple wasn't that sweet which is why I think she liked it) she sucked and sucked and then chomped and bits just kept disappearing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->