Early weaning

mush23

Reaction score
Dd is 4 months old and has bad acid reflux. She's on max doses of ranitadine 3 times a day and domperidone 4 times a day but still vomits loads of milk even 3 hours after feeds so we've decided to slowly try weaning. Today I offered a small amount of baby rice before her 9 am 1 pm and 5 pm feeds, it seemed to go well even though she only took a tea spoon each time followed by the usual 4-6 oz of milk. Does anyone have any tips for early weaning and weaning reflux babies? I want to make the transition as easy as possible for her and I really don't want to irritate the reflux. I know to stay away from carrots apples and pears but is there anything else I should know? Thanks in advance :D

I really done have any advice! I seem to just make things up as I go along!

When I started weaning my lo was also 4 months I only offered food at tea time about a week til she ate more than a spoon full! Then after about a 3/4 weeks I added a smaller amount for breakfast and then another week or so I added the lunch in! In was really slow and mess! But now she eats from spoon with little mess! Give her a rusk tho and she's filthy!!! Lol

Good luck! I was also told when u start introducing other foods to try stick to that 1 food for a few days incase of allergies?! And someone told me it can take baby 13 try's of food for a baby to decide if they like the taste of something so if she doesn't like something on first try don't give up it might just be something that needs a few attempts! If I had things she really showed no interest in I would put a tiny amount in rice then up the quantity next time xx

Not a lot of advice I'm afraid but just wanted to say that our lo is 5 months and has silent reflux, on maximum dose of ranitidine also. Dr has advised us to start weaning. I tried baby rice once a day but that constipated him so I have switched to baby oatmeal porridge in a morning, just a couple of teaspoons. It's been a week now and he eats it well. Next week I may increase the portion and mix in a fruit purée (pear is low in acidity and digests well), the following week I might add a veg purée in the afternoon (I think I'll start with sweet potato as this also is more easily digested). His reflux flared up and he woke loads in the night when he had the baby rice as I think he had trouble digesting it.

Why do you have to stay away from carrots apples and pears? I would stick with fruits and veg rather than rice, grains are harder to digest that veg.

Apples and carrots can cause heart burn as they are acidic apparently

I'd look into foods that are gentler on the stomach. My kiddo still won't touch cereal but is great with fruits & veg.

It's normal for your baby to start on a teaspoon or so- it's better not to let them eat too much too fast, it can cause tummy troubles if their tummy isn't used to it. When LO started getting the hang of food and ate a bunch in one sitting, up from about a teaspoon at a time to about an ounce, we had an awful night because his tummy did NOT like that!

Have you considered avacado or banana? Neither of them need to be cooked, and banana can aid in digestion. https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyfirstfoods.htm#.UpFnH-IQPtg That site has a suggestion of first foods for your baby. :) I'd look into each of them to make sure that they're safe for a baby with bad reflux- fortunately that's not a problem we've had with our little one, so I really don't know much about it. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadleyfai
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->