Eating out - what kit do you recommend?

Helen76

Mummy to Luke
Reaction score
Hi,

We've just started to wean and I am thinking about when we are out and about. I was wondering if I need to buy a cool bag and some little pots.

I'm guilty of buying a lot of stuff that doesn't turn out to be very practical so I thought I would ask what essential kit do you recommend? It's basically for if I'm out meeting friends for coffee etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
H xx

I guess it all depends on what kind of foods you want to give your LO. We have plastic pots for snack foods, raw veg, fruit etc. these are good for warming food up in and feeding from as well! and a cool bag is a great idea for yogurts and things, I can fit food for the day pretty much in our cool bag. I would recommend both of those items. I don't really use anything else major other than spoons and sippy cups, but my baby is almost 1 now so I may be forgetting something from starting out!

This is a list of what I find useful however what I actually need to take depends on when we are going out as I do finger foods at lunch and puree at dinner.

Bowl with lip and a spoon attached (for when we are using puree)
Bibs
Little pots (for storing puree or bits of food
Sandwich bages (for storing food)
Insulated bottle bags (I use these for keeping puree cool as I already have them but any cool bag will do)
A bag for dirty bibs (carrier bags will do)
A flask of hot water and a jug (I use these to warm up puree as I already take them out for warming up bottles)

I find having one bowl for taking out is enough because she has finger foods first so I just use the same bowl again for her puree however you might find it easier having more than one depending on how you plan on weaning.

We used to take (and still take some of it now they're 2 and 4!):

Bib, maybe two if we'll be out a while
Small cutlery as not all cafés/restaurants have child size stuff, I'd maybe take a small plate if LO was prone to throwing stuff, or just put food on the table.
Empty sandwich bag for food we've ordered for the kids but they've not eaten! Yes a bit stingy but the other day both kids asked for full kiddie meals and didn't eat it, so I brought it home and they ate it later.
A few small snacks, in plastic tubs or bags if not individually wrapped, to keep LO happy while waiting for food.
Something to wipe up with if they make a horrible mess, usually just baby wipes.

We did BLW so no purées or anything, but even if we had done TW I wouldn't have bothered with it when out, far too much hassle! So the kids just eat what we're eating, either in a café or restaurant, or a picnic we've taken. I've never been anywhere that had nothing that was suitable at all.

The only thing we really use is bibs and something to cover or clean up the floor with (it will get messy!) and then pots if I'm bringing something with me. Don't get the super tiny puree pots because even if you do purees, it won't be for that long. Get something you could put snacks in, like rice cakes, cut up fruit, veggie sticks, etc. Then I just bring it with me in my changing bag, not a cool pack. It would sit out for a bit at home while I'm getting her ready to eat, so I don't worry about that. Of course, if it's going to be hours and hours or you're leaving it in a hot car, you might want to refrigerate it somehow. Soon enough, she'll just be eating what you eat anyway and if you do BLW, she will be from the start, so you don't need much kit. We do BLW and I do tend to bring some things if I don't know what there will be (cucumber sticks or rice cakes with something), but usually I just give her something from my plate, so no need to pack anything. I find things to protect/clean clothes and the floor (muslins, bibs, wipes) more useful.

Ikea plastic food bags!!

2bibs (coverall type once finger foods started)
Bowl and spoon
Food/purée pouch
Finger foods in smaller bag

When started out just didn't have finger foods. Was doing home made purées and found tesco weaning/freezer pots were great

X

Thanks Mindutopia, that's a really good point he'll be eating what we are before too long.

Thanks everyone else too.

H xx

At 5 months, my LO was eating a fruit or veg puree as well as her bottle and not much else.

I would bring a bib, a plastic spoon and a jar / pot of puree and whatever milk you are giving them and muslins.

Now I bring pretty much the same thing but a full meal (so what ever you give them for lunch / tea / dinner), a few spoons and whatever milk you are giving them as well as a sippy cup with water.

We usually give her bits off our plate but not all that we eat is suitable for her as restaurants tend to put a lot of salt / sugar in the dishes which is why we bring a full meal with us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->