EBF longer than 6 months?

Pink Petals

Reaction score
In Canada, we are told not to feed solids until 6 months.

What are the pros and cons of waiting even longer? Could it be harmful? Beneficial?

At about six months their iron reserves run out so they need additional nutrients from food. I think research generally suggests that if you leave weaning later than six months it can be abit harder to get them to accept new foods and textures.

I've not heard of any reasons that it would be beneficial if I'm honest x

Iron reserves begin to reduce at around 6 months, but there is no great rush to get onto solids. I don't think there are any benefits in waiting longer unless you feel that your baby isn't ready e.g. isn't sitting yet or still has the tongue thrust.

I dont think there are any benefits to waiting longer than 6 months. There isnt a rush to get them on 3 meals a day but like the others have said BM isnt enough nutrition wise from 6 months onwards.

Oh ok, thanks! That is helpful! 6 months it is then.

My baby is big (19 pounds already). Could that affect his iron levels earlier?

Canadian here, was told 4 months for solids.. But we waited until 6 months. By 5.5 months our daughter was showing signs of being ready/interested in foods.

If you don't feel your little one is ready wait, they show signs when they get ready for food. They start reaching, start copying you with movements. You'll bring food to your mouth, they will bring food to their mouth.

Read up on baby led weaning BLW, it'll help you recognize theses signs.

As for weight, all babies are different sizes. I wouldn't worry to much :)

Thanks! Maybe the 6 month recommendation was a provincial guideline. I don't remember!

Got BLW! Just have to read it. :thumbup:

Their iron stores start to deplete at 6 months they don't suddenly run out then. There is some suggestion that in some babies iron stores don't even start to run out until 9 months or even later. One of mine simply wasn't ready or interested when it came to solids, at 6 months, I waited until 7 months even then he struggled with solids xx

Milk is perfectly sufficient past 6 months. Yes, iron can run lower, but you don't see a lot of anemic babies running around at 6 months and 2 weeks or anything.

In fact, my baby was preemie (not as much iron stores), we started tasting solids around 6 months, but he is just now starting to eat more than two bites a day, and his pediatrician said he wouldn't worry if he wasn't eating too well at a year, as long as he was getting plenty of breastmilk. He said the will do a blood test for it at 12 months, but no need to worry.

Although breastmilk has less iron than formula, the iron is significantly more digestible than iron from other sources.

I wouldn't wait longer than 6mo to offer. Aside from the iron issue, there is recent research suggesting that delaying exposure to allergenic foods can increase the risk of allergies, unless there's a family history. However, it is not a big deal if your baby doesn't want to eat much at 6mo -- many don't.

Thanks ladies!

TBH, I love nursing my son and don't really want to start solids... Ever! :haha:

What if LO likes solids more than than the mommy milk? :cry:

But... sigh... I want to do the very best for him. So I plan to read BLW and start at about 6 months, when he is showing signs of being ready. :thumbup:

U don't get it. Please tell me off for being ignorant!... I thought blw started at 6 months gives no nutritional value until around 9-12 months. So how are they getting the extra iron after 6 months if they're not really digesting food? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->