Emergency hospital bag for home birth?

I had a little jute bag with a change of clothes, slippers, some toiletries, a set of clothes for baby and a couple nappies.

Hubby then put that in a big bag and threw in a drawer full of baby clothes when the ambulance was on its way and a phone charger.

I was very glad of the phone charger so I could use my iphone to watch TV while I waited for discharge, the screen in about the same size as the crappy EXPENSIVE hospital ones LOL.

Bless him, did he get the right drawer? I'd imagine mine would bring the 3-6 month ones and no vests! lol

x

I only had newborn out thankfully!

I wish I had cash and snacks though, I was ravenouos come the morning and the poxy bowl of rice crispies wasn't enough to satisfy a lady who had thrown up her tea (not surprising really I was in labour and far enough along for contractions to be 4/5 mins looking back and beef and ale casserole and potatoes isnt exactly a light meal - denial I was in labour much?!) and lunch was hours away.

So stash some cash in that bag and a couple cereal bars or something portable and light to eat afterwards.

i forgot to mention cash! im packing money in my bag and then in zanes bag just incase he needs anything while out with my sister

I only had newborn out thankfully!

I wish I had cash and snacks though, I was ravenouos come the morning and the poxy bowl of rice crispies wasn't enough to satisfy a lady who had thrown up her tea (not surprising really I was in labour and far enough along for contractions to be 4/5 mins looking back and beef and ale casserole and potatoes isnt exactly a light meal - denial I was in labour much?!) and lunch was hours away.

So stash some cash in that bag and a couple cereal bars or something portable and light to eat afterwards.

Yes I'll pack cash and snacks (mainly for DH) he can't go more than 2 hours without eats or drinks!

x

Hubby got chucked out when Ii went to ward good thing really he and I could get some rest, he came back around lunch time but I had no cash and was STARVING! While the other ladies on ward had loads of choccies and crisps BOO!

I don't like the way OH's get sent home (I know why they do it but it seems cruel to me) and I don't eat on a schedule so I would be starving in between crappy hospital meals!

x

Tell me about it! With Dewi I went to theatre Dewi arrived at 1am we got less than an hour together and hubby was kicked out and there I was on ward numb from the tits down from the spinal unable to move to pick up my baby and all alone.

grrrrrrrrr

Tell me about it! With Dewi I went to theatre Dewi arrived at 1am we got less than an hour together and hubby was kicked out and there I was on ward numb from the tits down from the spinal unable to move to pick up my baby and all alone.

grrrrrrrrr

That's just awful, I think it the case where you can't physically do anything you should get private rooms and OH should be allowed to stay.

x

Ah the wonder of the birth centre...we went back there after the hospital and hubby stayed in a double bed with me and we ordered in chinese takeaway!

Unfortunately there isn't a birth centre within 40 miles of our house which is why I've chosen a home birth.

x

Theres no difference really, everything that can be done in a BC can be done at home.

Apart from the expense of hiring my birthing pool - I really want one that you can leave the water in so it's ready whenever and there's no topping up, temperature monitoring or waiting for it to be filled.

x

But it wont be 'busy', or be 'being cleaned'

Exactly! My midwife said that the pools don't tend to be occupied in the hospital (why ever not?) and that I don't need to have a HB for this reason - I beg to differ. Plus we'll be more relaxed (I hope)and wont have to go to hospital to be sent home only to return an hour later oh there are loads of reasons. Midwife still not keen but I don't care, I don't really understand their mentality if I am honest, I thought they were meant to be promoting HB?
x

Exactly! My midwife said that the pools don't tend to be occupied in the hospital (why ever not?) and that I don't need to have a HB for this reason - I beg to differ. Plus we'll be more relaxed (I hope)and wont have to go to hospital to be sent home only to return an hour later oh there are loads of reasons. Midwife still not keen but I don't care, I don't really understand their mentality if I am honest, I thought they were meant to be promoting HB?
x

It all comes down to funding, the less women who give birth in hospital the less funding for staff they have.

But home births surely cost the NHS less? No valuable bed space taken up by people who don't need to be there, no epidural or drugs, no food, etc, etc, etc.

x

Yep they cost less but the way they see it they are allready short staffed and to get their budget cut even futher would be a bad thing, which it is. Its crap they have to do it that way, they should just give them more staff in the first place.

Yes more staff would be good, they seem to need more of everything from what I've heard.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->