Entering charity events

Pearls18

Reaction score
Do you pay the fee yourself, or do you take the money from raised funds?

You pay yourself, unless you go through a particular charity, usually you have to pledge to raise a certain amount of money for that though.

I have always had to pay myself. (skydive) and I paid £50 to enter moonwalk. All my fundraising goes to them.

You technically have to pay yourself - people and giving you money to give to the charity and not the pocket of the event organisers ykwim? They also may have requested the charity to claim Gift Aid on their donation, thus making it worth more to the charity.

Thank you this is what I thought, but hubby is doing something for H4H and they say they pay if you raise a minimum amount which I'm a bit uncomfortable with, not because I don't think he will raise it but because it just seems a bit unfair for them to pay.

Thank you this is what I thought, but hubby is doing something for H4H and they say they pay if you raise a minimum amount which I'm a bit uncomfortable with, not because I don't think he will raise it but because it just seems a bit unfair for them to pay.

On their website they mention this - is this an option?
"Self Fund Scheme
If you're paying all your own skydive costs, there is no minimum amount you are required to raise."

I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of donations going towards someones experience and not directly to charity. Surely people could just decide to pay straight to the charity to ensure their full donation + Gift Aid is used for charitable purposes? It's something my charity isn't keen on looking at. Am I missing something? Does anyone know why or how its done?

On their website they mention this - is this an option?
"Self Fund Scheme
If you're paying all your own skydive costs, there is no minimum amount you are required to raise."

I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of donations going towards someones experience and not directly to charity. Surely people could just decide to pay straight to the charity to ensure their full donation + Gift Aid is used for charitable purposes? It's something my charity isn't keen on looking at. Am I missing something? Does anyone know why or how its done?

I totally agree hun this is why I am questioning, the reason he hasn't looked at entering alone yet is because by going through the charity you have a guaranteed place, I'm not sure if the event is sold out for places so if you go through the route I mention you are guaranteed a place this year. (It's a 100k thing, I'm a terrible wife I don't even know what it is exactly lol). I will speak to him in a bit and ask if he has looked at doing it independently and then selecting the charity, I don't know if he just likes the idea of being on part of the official team. I may have confused him all along!

Ah I've just looked at the page and the minimum amount to raise is to be part of the official H4H team, it doesn't say anything about them paying the registration fee, I think someone said some thing to hubby and confused him. Just want to say he didn't want H4H to pay, that's why I said I would ask on here the etiquette because we didn't like the idea lol!

It's this one, it looks like if you register with them you get one of their places and perks of being on the team, but rightly fund your own spot!

https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ge.../100km-run-walk-series/thames-path-challenge/

I think the charity get allocated a few free places and they will give them to people who will 'earn' the most for them which is the reason for the minimum amount to be raised.

^ That's the only reason I could think of too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->