Envioronmentally Friendly Section?

Cat

Reaction score
Iwas just wondering if we could have a section or even just a sticky on peoples tips and recomended buys for all things environmentaly friendly.

After my last years study in animal rights and envionmental ethics along with a number of current TV programs, I have really had my eyes opened to a numer of ussues like climate change and animal testing etc and have decided to make a lot of life changes. Whilst I have never been a particularly wastefull person I do feel that I could do a lot more to help. As I feel this would benefit both myself and my family in eating better quality food and exposure to less chemicals, and obviously do more to help our environment, animals and areas of poverty etc.

Thing is there is so much stuff you can get/do and its hard to know whats any good and whats a waste of time/money and what things would really help the most. So I would love ideas and suggestions from people along with any recomendations of good products or ethical shops etc.

Ideally I want to buy all organic produce from now on. as Ihave a lot more understanding now of how fertilisers distroy the environment, as well as the obvious health benefits. I also will make my own compost and as I only have a small garden now I will grow my own herbs.

I want to buy enviromentally friendly household cleaners and toiletries from now on. But dont really know what ones are any good.

I want to find ways of being more energy efficient arond the home, although dont really know where to start here either, but I want to reduce our carbon footprint.

And any other thing Ifeel I can do along the way.

So if anyone has any tips or product recomendations and stuff I would love to hear!

theres a book.... with EVERYTHING in it that is evironmentally friendly, different companys that exploit workers etc. it has everything from food to electric appliences, different companys for gas and electric etc. i cant remember what its called off the top of my head but my mum has a copy and im seeing her tonight so ill get the name.

I've heard that new 'OZClean' range (the one with the old Australian biddy in that AWFUL ad?) is an environmentally range and was going to give it a try.

I'm interested in doing a bit more, I think having a child makes you think a bit more about the world you're going to leave them in, and I don;t think I do enough.

We recycle glass and paper, and use cloth nappies, but that's about it. I don't drive and rely heavily on public transport, but that's necessity not noble. I do hate the big gas guzzling monster cars that seem so popular though :evil:

I've had a catalogue form these people https://www.spiritofnature.co.uk and it looks good.

You say you've only got a small patch, but have you got a 4ft by 4ft spot? If so, check out this book for vegetable planning
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delias-Kit...ef=sr_1_1/203-2473362-3831160?ie=UTF8&s=books
I'm going to give it a go in the new year. We could be gardening buddies!

*EDIT the Delia book has a section on how to build your own compost bin too!

Cool!

Im getting a couple of Hugh Fernly Whittingstall books for Xmas, and they cover growing veg/herbs. Even your own livestock, and loads of traditional reciepes with the emphasis on being thrifty and utilising everything. Even how to cultuvate wild produce from the hedgerows. And the family cookbook is all about family projects like how to make your own butter. Fun for adults and once the kids are older giving them more of an interest and understanding of food.

I want to buy enviromentally friendly household cleaners and toiletries from now on. But dont really know what ones are any good.

Tescos have just started doing a range and sell it alongside Ecover. I'm pretty sure it's made by the same company...

You can get soapnuts so you don't use detergent when you use your washing machine.

Cloth nappies washed on a low temperature also really help the environment.

Kina said:

Does washing on a low temp actually clean properly? I always thought that wsashing on low temps wouldnt kill of all bacteria.

LOL, well I dont have a tumble dryer and dont fancy the idea of having nappies constantly hanging all round the house drying. So I have however decided to start getting bio digradable disposables.

Kina is it you that has said before about using reusable baby wipes that you just add solution to? If so where do you get them from?

Thats a good idea.
i have started using ecover products.
There is also another website with lots of ecofriendly ideas.
www.imperfectlynaturalwoman.co.uk

I also use Thermoflow, h2flow and Motoflow to help reduce my fuel bills and make my water less 'hard'

Cat said:
LOL, well I dont have a tumble dryer and dont fancy the idea of having nappies constantly hanging all round the house drying. So I have however decided to start getting bio digradable disposables.

Ii don't have a tumble dryer at the moment (its been broke for 2 months) and I have found that drying the nappies aren't too much of an issue. Tots bots fluffles are very quick drying (take 2 hours in a warm room). The only thing about the bio disposable ones are that due to the way our rubbish tips are maintained they don't get the conditions in which they can degrade so they end up hanging about as long as other disposables. However I guess from the point of view what makes them, they are more enviromentally friendly then ordinary nappies.

Arcanegirl, with todays washing powders nappies get clean just fine on a 30 degree wash. I do occasionally do a 60 degree wash if I have some particularly soiled ones but that is not the norm at all.

Cat reusable baby wipes are well easy to make. Just get some cheap flannels and cut up into wipes. I carry mine round in a plastic wallet and then when I use them I just spray solution onto them (but normally just use water). You can buy solutions ready made but its so easy to make your own from cammomile teabags, lavender oil or even the baby bath that you normally use.

Arcanegirl said:
Kina said:

Does washing on a low temp actually clean properly? I always thought that wsashing on low temps wouldnt kill of all bacteria.

You can add a tablespoon of napisan which kills bacteria at temps as low as 40 degrees. I never wash mine higher than 60 and that's only if I've not done a wash and have a big load to do.

Cat I just use warm water with a drop or two of lavender oil with my wipes. You can make up a spray to take out with you, but most places I change Ella in have sinks so I can just use warm water with them. I save so much money by not buying wipes anymore, plus it's kinder to her skin.

Would a section be used?

Would it just be for food?

And if it was a sticky where would be the best place?

Well Im guessing at 11 posts already over night that there is a number of people interested in the topic. If its a sticky then general chatter would do fine. If its a section there could be a bit on baby products, a bit on shopping (food, cleaning products etc), a bit on around the home, (utilities envionmentally friendly ideas you can do around the home)?

I'd rather not sticky it in here :twisted:

What would you prefer Cat? If I made a section could I leave you in charge to make sure it's used? :rofl:

Would this also include Mums who used cloth nappies?

Wobbles said:
I'd rather not sticky it in here :twisted:

What would you prefer Cat? If I made a section could I leave you in charge to make sure it's used? :rofl:

Would this also include Mums who used cloth nappies?

Oh yeah sounds good. If their is a baby products bit that can be used for cloth and bio nappies, home made wipes, eco friendly baby products (like my eczema cream lol) etc. Then their is a really ome for all the stuff on cloth nappies seeing as their are lots of followers!

Just so I get this right - One section not 2? :shock:

Erm as I know nothing about this kind of topic although interested have you got a suggestion for the sections name & description?

I'll put it with the shopping, freebies, reviews, etc.

:D

Yeah okay go for a section on the shopping bit and call it 'Environmental Products and Services' or something like that to cover baby products, general shoping, services and envionmentally friendly tips and ideas.

Eco Friendly Products & Services?

Tescos have just started doing a range and sell it alongside Ecover. I'm pretty sure it's made by the same company....

tesco ones are pretty crap, and the way they made the packaging you use alot more of the product, Ecover is great and smells scrummy, its more expensive then the other stuff but works really well and if u have a health food shop near you, you can take your empty bottles to them and they will refill them for a reduced price.

I am trying to be very eco friendly, the cleaning company i work for uses only ecover stuff so i use all their range and the proffesional range. i would recomend them to any one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->