Episiotomy- do they anaesthatize?

cat lover

Mummy to 2 girls
Reaction score
My friend is 32 weeks pregnant and has a tremendous fear of having an episiotomy. Ive never had one, do they give you an anaesthetic first? If so id love to tell her so she is less worried. x

yes i had local for mine.and has allowed gas and air while they stitched me up after.

Yes and you can use the gas and air

Yes thankfully!!!!! I felt sth slight as they cut me and she topped me up
Whilst stitching me up
:)

I think it probably depends on what the case is... I'm sure if its an emergency it might not take affect in time..
I personally asked not to have one on my birth plan, as I prefer to tear naturally.

I went to theatre cos lo was back to back and needed to be turned to get him out and they also said if they couldnt turn him then id need a c section so they gave me an epidural to do the episiotomy to get the forceps in to turn him.

It worked i managed to push him out! :)

I had an epidural so I didn't feel mine anyway but I know a few people that had it and had an injection before they did it! Xxx

I had mine without a local but I never felt a thing. I felt the local going in after though !.

I was genuinely terrified at the prospect of two things - forceps and episiotomies. After two hours of pushing I was told they wanted to do an episiotomy. I freaked. But then very shortly I managed to deliver my baby and turned to the doc and said "great you didn't need to do an episiotomy in the end." She was like "er no, you had one".

Turns out when you're that far along you really don't feel it. I had an injection of anasthetic and the cut itself and felt nothing different to the contractions. I wasnt using gas by that stage either. I couldn't believe it! Please tell your friend not to worry - wish I'd not wasted as much time worrying.

I had an epidural with mine so I didn't feel too much of it luckily, although mine was done in an emergency so not sure they would have anesthetised with me if I hadn't already had an epidural to be honest

Yes I did plus top ups before they stitched me up. To be honest I probably wouldn't have cared if they didn't lol. I also had gas and air which I used more after labour for the stitching up. The anaesthetic stung when they put it in though.

I had an epidural so didnt feel a thing. Plus I had gas and air too. It was afterwards that was uncomfortable x

I was given local anasthetic but I jumped a mile high when the needle went in!! Didn't feel the cut though.

Local is used unless there is already an epidural in place.

One exception though, if it is shoulder dystocia, they do not, because there is no time to do so.

I'll just add that although i didn't feel it i did hear it.it was like cutting grisel on meat.they used scissor type things,my OH was expecting a scalpal.

I'll just add that although i didn't feel it i did hear it.it was like cutting grisel on meat.they used scissor type things,my OH was expecting a scalpal.

Ohh that gave me shivers I remmember that noise too was grose :) xx

To be honest I'd say i did as tha seems to be the consensus but I don't remember :dohh: the whole thing was very traumatic and done very quickly. My stitches were the most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life so if they were so bad maybe I didn't get any?

The thought of an episiotomy never really crossed my mind beforehand and I Sid I would be guided by whatever was needed.

Reassure your friend that the mw and drs will do what is best for mum and baby. Go with the flow, everything I didn't want I had! I had a. Meltdown when she said to push as I suddenly decided I was afraid to poop!! I did :blush:but tbh I didn't care by then

I was abolustely scared of that too and unfortunately got it but I had the epidural so didnt feel it, the healing process was painful sitting for long on it hurt.

I know some girls who said they numbed the area before the cut, some have said they felt is cause it didnt numb properly :/

Oh they do it during a contraction so you don't notice it apparently.

Oh yes and getting stitched up was awful. I felt it all despite getting more local... and had a nice 2 weeks of healing afterward too :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->