Episiotomy- do they anaesthatize?

I had an episiotomy with no pain relief whatsoever and TBH it felt like heaven getting cut and pushing LO out compared to the contractions. But then again, I had a natural 45 hour labor and he was back to back so anything would feel good after that lol.

I had gas and air while the stitches me up, so I didn't bite the head off the poor woman doing it :rofl: I didn't even have it labouring :rofl:

Definatley not as bad as I imagined it to be though

I got a numbing injection and the pushing didnt hurt whatsoever and I think it was because I was numb!

The cut: no anesthetic. I felt no pain. I had a natural childbirth with no pain relief drugs. Honestly the pain from the contractions and baby pressing down were a million times worse so I barely felt the cut

The stitches: local anesthetic

I was worried about this too before giving birth. Tell your friend not to worry, they gave an injection and I did feel it, but it was nothing in comparasion to the contractions, I felt like I was pushing against a brickwall. The midwife said my perinium was rigid probably due to being a horse rider for 30 yrs. Once they cut me I was able to push her out quickly. I am relieved and hope they do it next time if I need it.

Yes, and gas n air. Tbh i was so caught up in the contractions and the fact my legs were up in stirrups, i couldnt give a damn what was going on down there! Just wanted baby out lol x

You don't have to have one unless you want one (apart from in real emergencies), you can choose to tear naturally if you want.

I had one both times - the midwife (who was evil) lifting those scissors from the tray and coming towards me was the scariest thing ever but it wasn't so bad as she had numbed me first. Second time, I don't even remember them doing it. Being stitched up afterwards wasn't too pleasant, but first time the midwife decided she couldn't do it half way through so left to get a doctor who had to start all over again, which made it worse. Second time was painful too, but they added more local and gave gas and air too. I was saying some very inappropriate things as they were sewing my bits, so it can't have been that bad. I blame the G&A!

I had my baby last Friday. I had to be cut twice and I also tore. I had a local anaesthetic before the first cut so didnt feel anything. As someone else has said, compared to the contractions (I had no pain relief - happened too quickly!) the episiotomy, tears and pushing him out were nothing. I had gas and air for the stitches afterwards, though. Tell your friend not to worry at all about it.

Yes I had a local for my first which was a ventouse with just gas and air and there was so much going on I never felt it. My second was forceps in theatre with a spinal so obviously didn't feel anything.

I don't know if they do or not but I felt mine. I had the epidural but it had worn off by then. I know they defo numbed the area when I was being stitched up though.

I think it really depends where you are, she should call and ask!!
I had a 3rd degree episiotomy (emergency) and my OB numbed the area first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->