Everyday things as gifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EcoMama

Reaction score
I've noticed a on a few people's lists on here that they buy the dc (and dh) things like toothbrushes, underwear, shower gel etc.... Does everyone do this?

I've never even considered wrapping up a drinks cup or deoderant for dc/dh :wacko:

If they need a new toothbrush I just buy one with the weekly shop and give it to them then.

My grandma is good at this too. She wraps us cleaning products and micro fibre cloths :dohh:

I put a new toothbrush in his stocking, usually some socks aswell. It's just tradition really, he gets a toothbrush every month or so anyway but it's like getting new PJs Christmas Eve, we just expect it :haha:

I wouldn't for OH though, just Lucas.

I've bought both mine a disney cutlery set each for their little stockings and last year they had a Christmas cup in there - I think they just make nice little stocking fillers for them and you know they'll appreciate them/get used. I put PJs in their Christmas eve bag for them as well they're everyday items too but again, just something extra to put in there :D

It's just I bought a new bowl & plate for dd the other day who's 1. I did think about putting them in a stocking for christmas, but then thought well, she needs them now! So we used them this morning!.... I just can't think of things to buy to put in their stockings which they couldn't use or that they need now.

I do this. I'm not really sure why except that its just a tradition that I'm used to. A new toothbrush, socks and pants. The tooth brushes I buy through the year are the stand £1 tooth brushes. Christmas they have a character, battery operated one. This year they came with toothpaste with the characters on too so I'll include that. To me it isn't much different to putting chocolates in there.

Oh and DH actually is really grateful to get socks and pants at christmas, his mum gets them for him. He is happy he doesn't have to buy them himself LOL

I do buy things like this for my boys. It tends to be character stuff that I will give them where as if I bought it usually it would be generic. For example DS1 is getting a pack of spiderman pants. The last set I bought he just because he needed them had a generic dinosaurs on them.

I put special versions of every day things in the stockings - Hayden has got a spiderman electric toothbrush and a TMNT bath fizzer, they have both got character magic facecloths, Zoe has got glitter bath sparkles, will probably also get her some hair clips, but maybe Peppa pig ones, whereas she would usually just have the cheapest ones I can get, as she regularly loses them! Yes, they are things that they need, but that means they will get to use them regularly and it makes brushing their teeth / having a bath etc that bit more fun. Oh, and probably character socks, too, which Hayden loves to have and Zoe has never had before.

This year Flynn is just getting toys. Next year I might do character clothing when he's more in to stuff like that.

I give oh stuff like clothes though. Usually stuff he enjoys e.g. breaking bad t-shirt.

I don't. I don't get stocking fillers really, apart from chocolate coins. My kids all got new jammies when the weather got a bit colder...I didn't see the point in holding a pair back until Christmas. I don't think my boys would give the everyday stuff a second glance anyway when there's an x box and a batman in the room!!!

I don't, we don't do stocking fillers, plus I like to buy in bulk :blush: you could literally come and do your monthly shop in majority of my cupboards.

I put little things like underwear, socks, toiletries, hair accessories etc in stockings. I usually get character items plus some little toys. Obviously if DD needs them before then ill buy her some but my girl goes through socks, pjs and tights like crazy so a few more doesn't hurt and she likes seeing the character....I love little things like this and make OH do me a similar stocking with socks, pjs, make up, slippers etc.

:haha: Carly, my mil does that! It's great if we ever forget anything when we go visit :)

See my boys have asked in the past for those things. 2 years ago ds3 asked for batman pants, last year ds2 wanted an electric toothbrush.
I get pjs because my mum always did for us and she said it was so in pictures we had new, nice pjs on. Rather than ones we've had for months (or in the case of my ds1 and ds3 whos birthdays are feb and march and go up a size at that time of year so they have had the pjs for 9/10 months) Also I pass all clothes down, so the clothes ds4 wears have been worn by 3 children before him, so although they are in good condition, it feels special to buy him some fresh new ones for christmas.

Not as Christmas gifts. My husband is quite against giving clothes to kids as gifts. However both kids get two pairs of PJs each in their Christmas Eve box. It is sort of a tradition for us to wear new PJs on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Although last year my oldest (then 3) got a big body shop gingerbread man set and this year his elf may bring a small body shop set, however if you knew him it would make sense.

I get stuff like this for stocking fillers. I don't see a point of buying a bunch of stuff just for the sake of buying it that wont get used so a lot of stuff me and oh buy for our stockings are useful stuff, for Colin's he will have lots of little toy items in his but also a pack of new underwear and a new toothbrush etc.

i do as stocking fillers, never just a bog standard toothbrush always a character one
i always got that kinda stuff as stocking fillers

My mum always did this and I was always grateful to get Pritstick and deodorant and tights etc. cos it's the stuff you always need and run out of too much! For OH and LO I buy pants and socks, they're nice things to get! I know OH will enjoy his new pants even though they're only Asda.

It's interesting!

I totally get the pjs thing, I buy dc new pjs to wear on christmas eve so they look nice in the morning :)

We don't buy that many presents for dc for christmas, 3-4 max. And they're usually something they want/have asked for/we think they'll like rather than something they need.... They also have a small stocking each with a dvd, book and some chocolate (maybe a lego kit dor ds this yr too).

The same with dh, I buy him something that he would never normally buy himself as he can't justify the cost, like this year I'm buying him a new cycle helmet, which he doesn't need and can make do with his old one, but his old one is pretty tatty.

Anything we need then we just buy it for them then. But we do tend to buy dc treats throughout the year too, like a new dvd or lego set (the small £5 one from asda). I guess this is why we don't go over the top at christmas, we tend to stick to the big/expensive things like bikes/play kitchens/quality toys like bigger lego kits/brio train sets etc.

Yeah I don't buy for them through the year. Its only birthdays, when they have 3-5 gifts, and then their grandad gives them £1 a week pocket money so they save that up and if they want to buy something thats what they use.
Obviously if they really need something (like a new toothbrush, or new socks) I buy them as they need them. So when Christmas rolls around I get those other bits and pieces, but nicer versions, which they don't necessarily need at that time but will come in handy. I mean they can never have enough socks, they are constantly going missing LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"