Exercising whilst pregnant

LittleMum

Mum to 22 mth old and ttc
Reaction score
I have a lovely bump which I'm proud of but before I got pregnant I was a large size 12 and now I'm struggling to get into maternity size 14s :haha:
Oops!!

Weight wise I've put on about 10 pounds (which I don't think is excessive), but it's obvious that quite a bit of it has gone to my bum and thighs :cry:

So, I am going to start doing something about it!!!! I am hungry all the time at the mo, so have gone out and bought lots of weight watcher snacks, bananas and yogurts rather than the normal crap we have in the house and I am planning on starting aquanatal classes next week (once a week) and going swimming once a week too.

Anyone out there that can let me know of any other good exercises to do whilst pregnant?

I work from home so never really end up doing much :(

I am doing Zumba with the local Rosemary Conley club. I was a member when I got pregnant and the MW was happy for me to keep going to the exercise class as they always offer various difficulty levels and 70-year-old ladies are also doing it.
It's great for thighs as we do quite a few salsa moves.

And had my first aquanatal yesterday and it was brilliant. Baby kicked for the first time while in the water :)

(I am exactly 18 weeks and 6 days too! How funny!)

Hi,
Did you exercise before you were pregnant? I was told i could keep jogging etc as that was something i did before getting pregnant, but to try not to increase etc.

How about trying one of the pregnancy exercise DVD's you can get? I'm sure they would help. I have heard that yoga is really good as well so maybe give that a go

Try not to worry about the weight gain, i figure there will be plenty of time to worry about that after you have the baby. Just focus on eating healthy and getting some exercise (but remember to still treat yourself once and a while :))

I'm 18 weeks today (yay!) and up until 12 weeks I did nothing exercise wise aopart from brisk walking. I've now signed up to and started last week ante natal water workout which was brilliant, and have also signed up to do ante natel yoga which i'm looking forward to. Also with some brisk walking and the alternative weeks of swimming, i think that should be enough. x

Hi,
Did you exercise before you were pregnant? I was told i could keep jogging etc as that was something i did before getting pregnant, but to try not to increase etc.

How about trying one of the pregnancy exercise DVD's you can get? I'm sure they would help. I have heard that yoga is really good as well so maybe give that a go

Try not to worry about the weight gain, i figure there will be plenty of time to worry about that after you have the baby. Just focus on eating healthy and getting some exercise (but remember to still treat yourself once and a while :))

To be honest, I've always been a bit lazy but just lucky not to be fat! lol
Before I got pregnant I was commuting to work and walked for about 40 minutes a day, which I haven't done for 4 months now! And there never seems to be an excuse or time to just get up and go :(

I didn't know you could get pregnancy DVDs but will have a look now - Thank you!!

I'm 18 weeks today (yay!) and up until 12 weeks I did nothing exercise wise aopart from brisk walking. I've now signed up to and started last week ante natal water workout which was brilliant, and have also signed up to do ante natel yoga which i'm looking forward to. Also with some brisk walking and the alternative weeks of swimming, i think that should be enough. x

Are you doing these things by yourself? That's the only bit I find a bit weird as I would normally do things with a friend but don't no any pregnant ladies near where I live :(

And had my first aquanatal yesterday and it was brilliant. Baby kicked for the first time while in the water :)

(I am exactly 18 weeks and 6 days too! How funny!)

Hoping and praying that I'll feel LO moving soon, even more incentive to go to the class next week now :)

You will, don't worry. They all get kicking in their own time :)

And I don't know any other pregnant ladies so I go to my classes alone. I have met some at the aquanatal class, and we went for drinks after the class: that was really cool.

At the zumba, I went alone as I had just moved to the area. No-one becomes your Best friend with you first time, but if you go every week, you'll get to know people. Don't be shy and don't worry, people love giving you pregancy advise so they'll talk to you ;)

Woo thank you girlies! I've ordered some DVDs and just bought my swimming cossy so all good :)

Thats great, hope you get on okay. Just try and find an exercise that you enjoy and get on with.

x

Zumba, really? And your MW was happy? See, now don't you just love that these 'medical professionals' just can't sing off the same hymn sheet??!? :dohh: My Doc said no Zumba, my midwife said no gym. I *had* to take up swimming (not a fan) just to get off my butt and on another thread another lass was told something completely different. (Have had no complications - so wonder what the problem is!?! :shrug:)

*sigh!* Please give me strength and save me from over educated fools!! :haha:

I am going to start going on early morning walks before work, on the beach. Mostly my exercise is just keeping myself on my feet.

i want to find a good pregnancy work out that i can do from home. not too sure about the yoga dvd's, would rather do something a little more energetic.
Up until now, ive not felt like lifting a finger! and ive put on about 2 stone :( straight on my thighs aswell,.
I love swwimming through so will hopefully get back into it soon

I am going to start going on early morning walks before work, on the beach. Mostly my exercise is just keeping myself on my feet.

You're lucky! A walk along the beach sounds a lot more romantic and inviting than a walk around the block! lol

Zumba, really? And your MW was happy? See, now don't you just love that these 'medical professionals' just can't sing off the same hymn sheet??!? :dohh: My Doc said no Zumba, my midwife said no gym. I *had* to take up swimming (not a fan) just to get off my butt and on another thread another lass was told something completely different. (Have had no complications - so wonder what the problem is!?! :shrug:)
QUOTE]

I think the rule is not to start anything new and avoid getting really out of breath. What were you doing before?
My MW is happy with my zumba, but it might because it's not hard core zumba! We have senior ladies there and they get "options" for stuff that's hard - I just follow these. Plus my instructor know and checks on me.
Every situation is different but I just do whatever I feel I can handle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->