Expecting #1 and over 30

bubbles - How are you doing? I can't believe they won't even let you do blood work. I agree with waiting for 9 weeks for a scan though. You should be able to hear the heartbeat at that point and if you do your risk of mc drops dramatically.

My unsolicited advice for first trimester: I’m sure you figured put by now, AF-like cramps are normal so don’t panic. Invest in a pregnancy safe muscle rub/ massage oil – you’ll need to get OH to use it on you often. Though a lot of it comes down to being lucky or unlucky, eating small meals often helps with morning sickness. Get a few days’ worth of bump-friendly clothes and a belly band ready while you still have energy. I didn’t buy maternity clothes too early because I was so scared of something going wrong and expected to only have to worry about it at week 16 (stupid books). Around week 10 overnight I suddenly couldn’t fit into anything in my wardrobe, couldn’t take off work to go shopping and when I did have time was too exhausted to do a good job of it. My friend was a life saver for coming along and helping my very mushy pregnant brain decide if things were suitable or not. Also I only found out about this in my 2nd trimester when I was feeling better so can’t 100% say if it will work but they say that Blackthornberry extract is great for pregnancy fatigue. It’s mostly recommended to breastfeeding woman as an ingredient in “jungle Juice” to increase milk supply but is a safe tonic for pregnant woman except those that are diabetics (because of its sugar content).

Thanks for the advice Zeez! I'm ok thanks, still don't really feel pregnant apart from the occasional mild cramps and waves of nausea. Still deciding on whether or not to have an earlier scan, 12 weeks seems forever away! They just don't do bloods here in the UK like they seem to do as standard elsewhere. It seems so strange that so many people here don't see anyone at all until nearly the end of the first trimester, because some people must have their dates worked out wrong or be quite a bit further on than they thought, and many probably don't know about foods you should be avoiding at that time etc until it's too late, and don't know about takin folic acid etc.

I've started buying a few maternity clothing bits on eBay already as I found a few never worn or hardly worn bargains, and I need petite sized clothing which seems even harder to find in maternity wear than normal clothes so I need to start early! I'd also rather get most of it on eBay rather than pay out loads more for brand new stuff when I don't think I'll be wearing it that long, and I'd rather spend money on more important things like the nursery when the time comes.

bubbles -
They don´t do bloods here as standard either. They basically just take our word for being pregnant, dip a stick in your urine and schedule you for an ultrasound at the time that you think you would be about 12 weeks.
Then they give you a bunch of internet links to look at, and sayonara to you...

About maternity clothing, the only clothes I´ve really been wearing are:
2 pants (stretch waistband). I bought maternity jeans, which were kind of a waste of money for me, as they´ve been much too tight for my humongous belly for the last 3 months at least.
2 maternity bras
About 4-5 tops to use (sometimes I did go through 2-3 in a day due to excessive sweating, having a dryer is necessary to get away with so few of those).

Just my 5 cents :hugs:

bubbles -
They don´t do bloods here as standard either. They basically just take our word for being pregnant, dip a stick in your urine and schedule you for an ultrasound at the time that you think you would be about 12 weeks.

2 pants (stretch waistband). I bought maternity jeans, which were kind of a waste of money for me, as they´ve been much too tight for my humongous belly for the last 3 months at least.
2 maternity bras
About 4-5 tops to use (sometimes I did go through 2-3 in a day due to excessive sweating, having a dryer is necessary to get away with so few of those).

Ah thanks! I've just bought a couple of plain tops so far as I'm worried about having things suitable for work ready for when I need them, before anything else. I have a few weddings this year and wish I had some idea at this stage how big I will be for each one so I know if I can get away with dresses I already have or if I need to splash out for bump room! I may be wrong but I'm totally expecting to be one of those people noone even realises is pregnant until they're about to give birth, I'm so small and chances are baby will be small too, and there's a big chance I may end up having to have a c-section which means I'll be even earlier than expected.

Loukachu - if you don't feel all too bad physically, try to get out and do stuff cause you never know when morning sickness might wipe you off your feet or extreme exhaustion. So do things you enjoy while you can! That was a big motivator for me as well as knowing that stressing or feeling blue increased my odds of miscarriage - I did all I could to stay positive and try and enjoy each day of pregnancy. Endorphins are great for you! So try some positive thinking :hugs:

rmsh - I hope that the lots going on with your pregnancy isn't anything too bad and you're doing ok! Congrats on your move :flower:

bubbles - don't you go see a doc or midwife for an initial consultation or something earlier on? where they schedule your first scan? I thought there was some short appointment where they gave you an info packet on what to do or not do. But I agree, some kind of confirmation would be nice! Although, the whole free healthcare thing IS nice…we pay a fortune a month to have insurance! Good thinking on saving money on maternity clothes - the supposed nice brand stuff is rubbish anyways. I splurged on this nice sweater and it started to pill on my belly after a couple wears! Not worth it…everything else, I've just bought on sale - clearance racks are nice :happydance:

As far as what clothes to buy, it really depends on what you wear normally. I live in jeans so I bought 3 pairs of maternity jeans that I've been wearing none stop! I got one for daily wear, one nicer pair and then a fun "going out" pair which I used more in my late first and most of 2nd tri - now they feel a bit too tight. But I got them on clearance so I felt I got my money's worth! Then, I got a bunch of light sweater tunics as I was pregnant through fall and winter so they have been super useful. Recently, I bought 4 t-shirts as I've been feeling a bit hotter. Otherwise, I just use whatever I have of my own that fits over my bump! Oh and I had to invest in two bigger bras cause my boobs got bigger - but they are regular, Bali bras with no underwire. And as far as dresses for weddings, I had 3 weddings last year plus the holidays to get through. I didn't buy ONE maternity dress…just invest in a wrap dress or two in a stretchy fabric and you'll be fine! I bought my dresses on sale at Cache for like $50-60. That's my 8 cents :winkwink:

OK, time to hit the gym…then lunch, another tour of our current house (owner is trying to sell it), then chiropractor and then a Moms Night Out. I started a local group on meet up for expecting moms and moms of infants and newborns. There's 6 of us getting together for dinner tonight. I can't wait! :happydance:

PS pilot, I will get back to you with a list of things to try hopefully later today. I got carried away on the clothing talk and need to run now! :dohh:

My friend gave me some sleeping bras which have been great. Haven't thought about maternity clothes yet...

Bone weary tonight!

bubbles -

2 maternity bras

Ah thanks! I've just bought a couple of plain tops so far as I'm worried about having things suitable for work ready for when I need them, before anything else. I have a few weddings this year and wish I had some idea at this stage how big I will be for each one so I know if I can get away with dresses I already have or if I need to splash out for bump room! I may be wrong but I'm totally expecting to be one of those people noone even realises is pregnant until they're about to give birth, I'm so small and chances are baby will be small too, and there's a big chance I may end up having to have a c-section which means I'll be even earlier than expected.

Fingers crossed that you remain smallish ;)
My mom was 99cm around when she was 9 months gone with me.
I´m currently at 128 cm around... hehe. Guess we´re not that much alike, genetically.
My physique is basically so muscular and dense, that there is no room for a baby in there, but my mom has the skeleton and musculature of a princess...

MrsChezek - ah thanks, I look forward to trying out that list, if I don´t get started tonight. :hugs:
We´re having pizza tonight, and I´m going to add some chili and pepper spices on it to try to get things started. I would add jalapeno´s but I´m not quite brave enough for that.

Bubbles I was in the UK until I was almost 18 weeks. I saw the doc at 5 weeks, and yep, no blood test, no urine test, no nothing! Just a referral to a midwife :haha: I saw no one until I was a few days short of 12 weeks, and my scan was not scheduled until I had seen the midwife, but it ended up being just a few days later. I was fortunate to get a sneaky scan at around 6 + 5, because I had been scheduled for a scan to check my ovaries, as another thing to rule out why I was having trouble getting pregnant. Well I got pregnant, but kept the appointment, so I got to see a little bean at that stage, and the sonographer was able to see the heartbeat, but I couldnt see it!

MrsChezak, I have had almost every symptom of pregnancy you could get. I had MS til around 17 weeks, where I could barely eat anything. I lost 5kg in weight, which I did not start gaining again til around 23 weeks. I was discovered to be hyperthyroid (only since becoming pregnant) so am part of a high risk clinic. Reflux hit hard at 23 weeks, so have to take medication to control that, piles, hernia, varicose veins, I recently developed carpel tunnel syndrome so am now waiting on an appointment to see a physio, and we had a 30 week growth scan and discovered we are having a very large baby, measuring in the 90th percentile! :haha: So now I get scans every 4 weeks to keep an eye on baby's size, and I may have to repeat the diabetes test, which was completely fine at 27 weeks :) But through all of that, baby is fine and healthy :)

Wow what a ride rmsh!!! I'm glad that everything is well with the baby despite all that hoopla! And that you're doing ok too :hugs:

Pilot - assuming tonight's chile pizza doesn't do the trick, here is what I've learned:
1. This one may be too late for you but a big one is to stop sex at 36 weeks and then restart when you want to push things along. During sex, prostaglandins are deposited in your vagina (they're in semen) which is what most induction drugs are made from (synthetic prostaglandins). So the abstinence starves your body of them and then a lot of them will kick things into gear :) but I think even if you didn't stop the sex earlier, the presence of the prostaglandins is a trigger.

2. Breast stimulation - releases oxytocin which is the natural version of Pitocin (induction drug). Oxytocin stimulates contractions of uterine muscles. You can try one at a time or both if one isn't working.

Combining 1&2 is supposedly super effective.

Those are the more 'taboo' but enjoyable options! Sorry if it's TMI :shy:

Last but not least,
3. Castor oil - taken orally it acts as a laxative and it's stimulation of the digestive tract often starts labor. But it's not a pleasant experience!!!! Most midwives use it as a last resort. (1Tbsp in scrambled eggs or juice at breakfast - after you've slept so you have lots of energy)

Tada. That's all I can think of rigt now...I'll revisit my notes from class and see if there's anything else!

On another note, one of my high school friends who now lives in Italy is preggers and I've invited her to join our thread. Hope you all don't mind!

How is everyone? Any babies arrived yet? Its gone very quiet on here :) xx

No baby arriving here yet!!! THANK GOODNESS :winkwink: But we did close on the new house so it's all ours! We spent much of Friday and Sunday there just looking around and figuring out what we want to do with all the rooms. SO exciting! :happydance:

How are you poppy?

Pilot - I can't believe your LO has been teasing you for so long!!!! Any new symptoms? Still calm and enjoying the ride? :hugs:

No baby arriving here yet!!! THANK GOODNESS :winkwink: But we did close on the new house so it's all ours! We spent much of Friday and Sunday there just looking around and figuring out what we want to do with all the rooms. SO exciting! :happydance:

How are you poppy?

Pilot - I can't believe your LO has been teasing you for so long!!!! Any new symptoms? Still calm and enjoying the ride? :hugs:

Great news about your house!
Am so tired and bit down/grumpy and not feeling with it at the moment.

Had to go to EPU this morning because of severe pain. Had a scan, all ok not eptopic. Saw baby and yolk sac and heart flickering away.

Off work for the rest of the week with bed rest as very pale and exhausted.

How are you poppy?

Still calm, but not exactly enjoying the ride these days.
Can´t sleep for pain, so exhausted, but thankful I´m almost done.
Had several strong contractions in the night. Painful enough to wake me up.
I´m hoping it means he´s going to start for real soon.
My pelvis just can´t take this anymore.

Had to go to EPU this morning because of severe pain. Had a scan, all ok not eptopic. Saw baby and yolk sac and heart flickering away.

Off work for the rest of the week with bed rest as very pale and exhausted.

Feel better soon :hugs:

I'm sorry you're not feeling well Lou but that's great news that you got a scan and that it's not ectopic AND you got to see the heartbeat! :happydance: Now just focus on getting better! :hugs:

Pilot - hope he comes out soon! xx

AFM I've had a lot of pushing and uncomfortable stretching yesterday evening and paranoia has set in that she's flipped and is now breech!!! No scientific evidence here at all but I'm freaking out!!! As that is my worst nightmare...sigh.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well Lou but that's great news that you got a scan and that it's not ectopic AND you got to see the heartbeat! :happydance: Now just focus on getting better! :hugs:

Pilot - hope he comes out soon! xx

AFM I've had a lot of pushing and uncomfortable stretching yesterday evening and paranoia has set in that she's flipped and is now breech!!! No scientific evidence here at all but I'm freaking out!!! As that is my worst nightmare...sigh.

Thanks was relieved to see a heartbeat, no scans in UK until 12 weeks usually. They had concerns re eptopic which is why I got one. I can relax now though.

Pilot - fingers crossed wont e long now.

MrsC hopefully all is ok re position xx

Pilot - I imagine its exhausting. hope that it's not much longer.

MrsChezek - congrates on the new house. so exciting.I'm sure that lo issitting just fine but have you read about "Spinning Babies".

Lou - great news on the scan. that must be a great releif. hope you feel better soon.

afm lots gpoing on. 20 weeks this week so halfway there. 3 more weeks until my gender scan (feels like forever). had my first midwife appointment yesterday and everything is looking exactly like it should.

also my parents got us a crib and we've bought most of the other bigger items (travel system, car seat, swing, camp cot). Now to get the nursery painted and we'll buy all the smaller items after we see what we get at the shower. I feel so much more organised then I did 2 weeks ago.

Have you ladies done much research on bloodcord banking vs delayed cord clamping? I know that they say you can do both but my midwife says we have to choose between them.

Zeez horray for 20 weeks!

Lou so glad all ok and that you got to hear the heartbeat.

Pilot, are you ready to pop yet?

The health visitor came to see me yesterday for a pre birth visit, all went well! :happydance:

Hope everyone else is ok.

Pilot - I imagine its exhausting. hope that it's not much longer.

MrsChezek - congrates on the new house. so exciting.I'm sure that lo issitting just fine but have you read about "Spinning Babies".

Lou - great news on the scan. that must be a great releif. hope you feel better soon.

afm lots gpoing on. 20 weeks this week so halfway there. 3 more weeks until my gender scan (feels like forever). had my first midwife appointment yesterday and everything is looking exactly like it should.

also my parents got us a crib and we've bought most of the other bigger items (travel system, car seat, swing, camp cot). Now to get the nursery painted and we'll buy all the smaller items after we see what we get at the shower. I feel so much more organised then I did 2 weeks ago.

Have you ladies done much research on bloodcord banking vs delayed cord clamping? I know that they say you can do both but my midwife says we have to choose between them.

We don´t do bloodchord banking here to my knowledge.
But I do know the benefits of delayed chord clamping, all the antibodies still in place in the placenta have more time to pulse over into LO. Means more protection for the baby, so I´m all for it.
I don´t know which I´d choose though, if I had to.

Zeez horray for 20 weeks!

Lou so glad all ok and that you got to hear the heartbeat.

Pilot, are you ready to pop yet?

The health visitor came to see me yesterday for a pre birth visit, all went well! :happydance:

Hope everyone else is ok.

Totally ready to pop, but LO is happy and snug in there.
I think he´s savoring the warmth in there, as it´s a little cold out here. :winkwink:

SO I might have jinxed myself with that whole "no baby arriving here yet"…she's not here yet! But apparently she is VERY low in my pelvis like she's ready to go!!! My doc said to take it easy and not do anything that might trigger preterm labor :dohh: Not that I know what that is…other than sex and nipple stimulation…staying away for that for sure!

I went in to se my doc this morning as I found this little nodule in my vajayjay that was a bit tender to the touch. :shy: Felt like a bubble but was black in color and pretty hard to the touch. Turns out it's a varicose vein!!!! SERIOUSLY??? I can't believe I got the equivalent of a hemorrhoid in my girly parts :cry: Luckily it's tiny and doesn't really hurt…just kind of like a pebble in your shoe; chafes at times but mostly is just there and annoying. The worst part is there is nothing I can do to get rid of it or to prevent others from forming…I think it's because she dropped late last week…I totally knew something was up. I've been having a lot of nerve numbness since about Friday…like when I cross my legs or even sometimes sit down onto the toilet. I jump right back up cause my whole leg hurts and goes numb! She's deffy on some nerve…BUT, because I said I was having the nerve pain and that she was very different yesterday in her movement and kicking, the doc did a quick ultrasound to see if she was head down and she is…but like I said above, a bit TOO LOW for 34.5 weeks! So he's going to have me start fetal non-stress tests twice a week starting this Thursday…fun fun :dohh: Better safe than sorry I guess!

Zeez - I have heard about spinning babies! I actually tried to use it to coax my doc into checking her position today rather than waiting until week 37…though that wasn't as convincing as the other symptoms I was having! He said it doesn't work…I disagree but turns out that I don't need it for now…thank goodness! :happydance: How come your anatomy scan isn't until week 23? Are you planning to find out the gender? You are SO much more on top of things than I am and I'm 10 weeks ahead of you! NICE WORK :thumbup:

As far as cord blood banking and delayed clamping, we've done a lot of research…or I should say my DH has done TONS and I've heard many of his conversations with my doc. The pro delaying books/articles say you can do both but talking to CBR and ViaCord, they don't recommend waiting…ViaCord said not to wait past 12 minutes and CBR just said not to wait. My doc said that he doesn't wait past 2 minutes. He also said that there isn't a real benefit to the baby with delaying for a long time and that in fact it might hurt the baby and cause a condition called hyperbilirubinemia which can lead to jaundice. The baby gets enough of iron and stuff within the first few minutes. We haven't decided 100% what we will do yet…still trying to read some articles! THERE ARE LOTS and all have conflicting outcomes unfortunately :nope:

sportys - glad you had a good pre birth visit! Can't believe we're all getting so close :happydance:

pilot - my one friend talked about putting bags of cold peas on her bump to get the baby to flip when it was breeched…I wonder if you could use that to coax your LO out!!! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->