Expressing Questions.. & Pumps!

skye93

DS#1 9/1/13 #2 on the way
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am pregnant with #2 and would like to start looking into my options. Please no bashing/opinionated comments!

With my first I breastfed for the first few hours and to be honest I just absolutely HATED it. So I expressed and formula fed him for the first 6 weeks, but I didn't have much supply (I was very sick when I had him and was 43kgs the day after I gave birth) So have been FF since then.

This time around I'd really like to express and formula feed. So I have the following questions.

#1. What do you find best? Manual pump or electric? (I'd really love a Medela Swing but I just don't have that sort of money..

#2. What can I do to increase my supply?

#3. Has anyone used the new AVENT Natural pumps/bottles?

Thank you for reading, I look forward to your help!

#1. What do you find best? Manual pump or electric? (I'd really love a Medela Swing but I just don't have that sort of money..

#1 I use an Ameda Purely Yours double electric pump, and it's great. It's a cheaper option than most of the Medela pumps, costs about $150 US dollars for the basic pump set. If that still seems like a lot, just remember that formula is expensive. If you're able to succeed at breastfeeding or even combo feeding, it's an investment that will pay itself back in a matter of months. And having a quality double electric pump makes the pumping sessions go so much faster.

#2 Pump for a few minutes after each feeding.

#3 Not I.

My DD had a cleft palate and I gave up on pumping for her or even combo feeding for her because of supply issues, but I'm now doing great breastfeeding baby #2. The most helpful information I got was a chart in a book showing ease of breastfeeding vs. formula feeding. Breastfeeding starts out much harder, but by 6-8 weeks, women start saying that it's easier than formula feeding.

Good luck to you!

1) I started with using a manual Tommee Tippee pump, but found it to be extremely hard work (particularly during night pumps) after a couple of days use. I went onto using the Medela Swing (originally had the same reservations about the cost), and it's been a brilliant buy, definitely worth it.

2) Pumping regularly (around every 2-3 hours to begin with), not skipping out on night sessions (can be done at a later time after milk supply settles)

3) Afraid not.

Hi everyone. I am pregnant with #2 and would like to start looking into my options. Please no bashing/opinionated comments!

With my first I breastfed for the first few hours and to be honest I just absolutely HATED it. So I expressed and formula fed him for the first 6 weeks, but I didn't have much supply (I was very sick when I had him and was 43kgs the day after I gave birth) So have been FF since then.

This time around I'd really like to express and formula feed. So I have the following questions.

#1 - The pump you buy depends on how often you will pump. If you're going to pump a lot then it is definitely worth the money to invest in a nice electric double pump. I used the medela freestyle and it worked great. I was pumping 3-4 times a day because i was working.

#2 - the best way to increase your supply is to feed on demand. Newborns want to eat every 1.5-2 hours and boy is it exhausting! I remember feeding for 20-30 minutes each side, then having an hour off and then he'd be screaming again. Just remember, it only lasts a little while. it's hard, but things will get better! If you are solely pumping, make sure you continue to pump for 5-10 minutes after the milk stops flowing. this will signal your body to make more milk. I was EBF and after every feed got out my pump and pumped 10 minutes to increase my supply. It really helped me to build up my freezer stash.

#3- we used the avent bottles and had no problems, except at the very beginning. When my milk first came in i was so engorged he couldn't even latch on so i had to pump and feed in a bottle. every time he used the bottle he always had a harder time latching on and feeding for the next feed. He was 5 days old when that happened, though. When i went back to work at 6 weeks we started giving him a bottle again and had no problems at all.

Good luck!

I think I'm going to purchase a Medela Swing, I had an AVENT manual last time and it took forever to get even a miniscule amount.
Thanks for your advice ladies, gives me something to think about.

Be careful with the Medea swing , it's not a closed system pump and milk can back up into it parts and grow mold kn places you can't clean

I would highly recommend an Ameda PY over a Medela Swing if you are planning to EP. They seem to cost about the same, and a double pump is really a must IMO. Pumping is very time consuming already and double pumping will cut your time by more than half (because you will benefit from milk letting down on both sides at the same time).

The best way to increase supply is to empty your breasts more often. So if you are EP, make sure you are pumping past empty and using plenty of compressions and massage. And pump as many times a day as possible. It's easier if you are nursing because babies are better at emptying the breast.

Skin to skin helps with supply too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->