Extended Breastfeeding

midori1999

Reaction score
I've been meaning to post this ever since I saw it on This Morning on Monday, but have only just got over my fury at the stupid presenters saying it was 'repulsive' enough to post... :haha:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/life-style...as-long-as-my-daughter-wants-115875-23311729/

What are your views on 'extended' breast feeding and why? Also, what would you call 'extended' breastfeeding? Past 6 months, 12 months, 2 years, longer?

I would say past 2 given that in extended BF circles moms BF for years after that. I am not a fan of ITV, as they come up with the most close-minded, short sighted, ignorant, irresponsible, reprehensible, uneducated comments, which are sadly heard by the public. I believe in self-weaning. We dont force children to walk, talk etc so why foribly wean? And for what, to save face and please the ignorant masses? I abhor attitudes towards extended BF- we need change. x

Had a disagreement with my friend about this just this morning! She thought that it had no nutritional value past 1 yr, obviously I corrected her on that, but she still maintains it's 'wrong' to BF even to 2! I was quite shocked, I mean why do people have such strong opinions about something that doesn't hurt anybody, in fact quite the opposite, and is bugger all to do with them anyway!

I guess I prefer the term 'full term breastfeeding' to 'extended breastfeeding', as how could you draw the line at which it becomes 'extended'?

I dont see the problem, However, I wouldnt want a school age child drinking from my boob the same that I wouldnt let them have a bottle at 5. I think probably school age would be my limit.

I think also school age is my limit before I would start thinking that really you need to stop it. I would also think it odd for a child to have a dummy/bottle/be in a pram/playing with rattles at that age as well.

I have a few friends still breastfeeding their 2 year old. :shrug: If they are both happy then so be it.

I would never use words such as disgusting even past 4/5. I would just think its a bit odd and wonder why the child/parent hadnt weaned them from the breast. I would also wonder how much it was a comforter rather than a source of milk

each to their own... but i do think there has to be an age where enough is enough i dont know how many stories i have read about mothers still BF their 13 year old kids...

for me i would personally stop by 2/3 most definitely by school age 4. as midnight_fairy said same reasons as i would stop giving a bottle. x

Apart from meeting nutritional needs, there aren't any health benefits to giving a bottle/formula/cows milk though. Breastfeeding has health benefits for the child for as long as it is continued. It also has health benefits for the mother, as the longer a Mum breastfeeds, the greater the protection against cancers.

There is absolutely no evidence that BF impairs social or emotional development in any way, so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be continued whilst both the Mother and baby want to, whatever age that is.

I personally won't be breastfeeding from the breast past 3 months then will be going to exclussively expressing till 1 year. After that will go onto formula/whole milk. This is just my preferance. I know many women who go till they naturally wean up to the age of 2 and if they want that it is their choice. Just isn't my cup of tea. Although just in my mind and the way that the country generally portrays it, I would find it odd if I found a mother breastfeeding their 2,3,4 year old straight from the breast, and wonder why if they really want to continue to breastfeed why not just go to expressing. I am sure that things like this are viewed much differently in the UK though than in the US. Not trying to offend anyone here, this is just the way how I view it, and how I plan on doing things with my child. I would never say to someone though if did see them doing this, your disgusting, how could you, or give nasty looks because I see it as their choice and it would be quite rude to do anything like this.

I'm not being rude at all, ahcigar but have you any idea just how difficult and time consuming exclusive expressing is? Never mind that some BFing women have a perfectly good milk supply, but can't actually get anything out when they express?

I would say extended breastfeeding is past the age of 2, as the WHO recommends breastfeeding until at least then. However, sadly mothers who breastfeed even past the age of 1 often find themselves facing opposition as our Western society is so ignorant about breastfeeding. Humans are designed to naturally wean by the age of 7 or 8 when they lose their milk teeth (ever wondered why they're called that?), so I think it's perfectly normal to continue nursing until about that age.

As for people who say extended breastfeeders should express rather than feeding straight from the breast, that would mean missing out on several important benefits of breastfeeding. At 16 months, my daughter already nurses mainly for comfort rather than nutrition, and breastfeeding can be hugely important in soothing tired and frustrated toddlers. Also, producing specific antibodies to fight infections relies on the child's saliva touching the skin on the mother's nipple. And finally, why on earth would you want to waste time and effort expressing to feed by cup when breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world?

I'm a muslim, In Quran it states that if a mother is willing & able to BF, it's for 2 years if she wants to BF full term. So 2+ yrs is extended IMO.

I dont see a problem if a mum wants to BF after the age of 2. For me the max is the age of 3-4 (feeding directly from the breast) when they go to school, the same with using a feeding bottle or a dummy.

My friend still BF her 2 and 4 yr old. Its her choice. I dont bat an eyelid if she does it when I am there. Not for me but its up to her I suppose. I do think kids should maybe be weaned off it by school though x

I still breastfeed my 2.5 year old, I do appreciate she uses it solely for comfort rather than nutritional needs, especially as I'm now pregnant and my milk supply has dropped dramatically.

I honestly don't care what people on itv say... They do tend to pick the most ignorant ill informed presenters anyway and if people are to take in and agree with all they say... Well then I don't really think their opinion counts :winkwink:

As for when I'll stop.... :shrug:

Who knows? I know she still needs that emotional security she gets from the breast right now, and I'll probably continue till I feel she's ready to stop. I never set out with any goals... And I don't have a cut-off point yet.

I will very rarely breastfeed in public... Interestingly the last time I did it was a few months ago when she was hospitalised with severe tonsillitis.... I breastfed her in the middle of the ward, much to the shocked expressions of other patients and their parents around us, and an influx of nurses appeared around the bed and were shocked I still breastfed.... Suddenly 5 minutes later I was transferred to a private room with my daughter with no explanation!!!! :haha: I have no doubt this was due to my breastfeeding a toddler in public made people feel uneasy.

But why not? My daughter was ill, needed comfort and much needed fluids... Breastfeeding her was completely and utterly the natural thing to do.

Even if it is purely for comfort (although the child is still getting nutritional value) why is it a bad thing? will you tell your child by x age they cant have a teddy (or other comfort item) anymore?

Even if it is purely for comfort (although the child is still getting nutritional value) why is it a bad thing? will you tell your child by x age they cant have a teddy (or other comfort item) anymore?

I believe in age appropriate comforters. I wouldnt give Omar his dummy at the age of 4 for comfort. He will get hugs & kisses or a teddy if he needs one.

My aunt bf her son until he was seven, he used to suck for comfort as her milk was almost dry, until now at the age of 17 yrs, he sits next to his mum to touch her breasts, he was 13 when he finally started to sleep alone without touching his mum's breast to play with her nipples for comfort.

I believe in age appropriate comforters. I wouldnt give Omar his dummy at the age of 4 for comfort. He will get hugs & kisses or a teddy if he needs one.

My aunt bf her son until he was seven, he used to suck for comfort as her milk was almost dry, until now at the age of 17 yrs, he sits next to his mum to touch her breasts, he was 13 when he finally started to sleep alone without touching his mum's breast to play with her nipples for comfort.

To me that is more about not setting appropriate boundaries than extended breastfeeding. There is no evidence at all (other than anecdotal, as above) to suggest that children who are breastfed for longer periods develop an abnormal fixation with breasts or their Mothers.

Plus, what one person feels is age appropriate comfort, another may not, but that doesn't mean it's not within the realms of 'normal', not least as different children have different levels of development and emotional needs at different ages. I know of parents who don't hug or kiss their older children as they feel they are too old for it.

i agree just because breast feeding is natural/normal etc doesnt mean that its okay to carry on doing it for a long period of time.

I'm not being rude at all, ahcigar but have you any idea just how difficult and time consuming exclusive expressing is? Never mind that some BFing women have a perfectly good milk supply, but can't actually get anything out when they express?

Also, not all breastfed babies will accept bottles. Oliver never did, so expressing wasn't an option.

ahcigar, you might end up enjoying breastfeeding so much you end up an 'extended breastfeeder' yourself! You really never know until you try :)

My personal limit would be 3/4.

Just because breast feeding is natural doesnt mean it doesjt have the same age restrictions other comforters have.

I wouldnt let my girls have a dummy/bottle past 4 (though imo 4 is way to old for them) and feel the same about bf.

Also, not all breastfed babies will accept bottles. Oliver never did, so expressing wasn't an option.

ahcigar, you might end up enjoying breastfeeding so much you end up an 'extended breastfeeder' yourself! You really never know until you try :)

I can pretty much guarantee 200% that I won't go past 3 months if that long before go to straight expressing. I have enough trouble thinking of doing it for that long even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->