Extended Breastfeeding

I wonder if there would be any affect on the child psychologically if they were breastfed past the "norm". I personally wouldn't feel comfortable BFing past age 1.

Unfortunately there aren't many studies on extended breastfeeding but, as far as I'm aware, all those that do exist show a positive effect. One study showed a significant link between the duration of breastfeeding past one year and ratings of social adjustment in 6-8 year olds (Ferguson et al. 1987). Other studies have shown that the longer children are breastfed, the less likely they are to have behavioural or mental health problems. So yes, there does seem to be a psychological effect, but it is a positive one.

I do wonder why people feel a line should be drawn somewhere? (although obviously a line is drawn somewhere because there's a natural age in all species for self weaning, including humans).

I mean, obviously it's fine to have a limit for you personally and say that you don't want to BF past a certain age, but why for others? Lets face it, most of society thinks BF past a few months, or certainly a year or 18 months is abnormal. There are even people who would call it abuse.

I do wonder if it is to do with the sexualisation of breasts and the fact that as children get older it is harder for people to differentiate between breasts as 'baby feeders' or breasts as something sexual.

Breastfeeding is encoruaged for as long as possible but the age to reach is around 2 years of age. I have no problem with extended breastfeeding but after 2 I do wonder if having milk from the actual breast is nessicary, afterall it isn't recommeded for a 2 year old to still have a bottle. By that time they should be drinking from a cup rather than a bottle. I am not saying breastmilk it's self should be stopped but maybe expressing it into a sippy cup so the child can do it theirself and it is encouraging them to drink from cups x

what's the specific issue with a child 2+ having milk directly from the breast though?

I have no issue with it but I do sometimes wonder if the mother does it from her breast for her benefit as they have cuddles etc.

I was talking to the HV I am working with (who breastfed for 14 months) and she said she wonders if it is more for the mother as they enjoy the bond it brings. I don't see anything wrong with that but it does cross your mind. Also when would be the appropriate age to stop would it still be ok for an 8 year old to still have an actual breastfeed. Bottle fed babies are encorauged to have any milk in sippy cups rather than bottles so why can't breast milk be given in a sippy cup? x

Because expressing is a pain, sometimes can't be done, and, really, why should it?
I honestly don't believe this widely held view that full term BF is done for the mother's benefit. As someone else has said earlier, the only women I know who do so, find it very hard work and would have been happy to stop earlier, but feel that child still needs/wants it. You can get cuddles and closeness without BFing, as you obviously must find yourself as do I!

But (if I'd been sucessful at breastfeeding) I honestly can't get on board with the idea that it would be inappropriate to BF Ruby now, at 27 months, she's a baby, she still needs and wants milk, surely the most natural option would be human milk from a human breast?

I have no issue with people being personally uncomfortable with the idea of BFing past a certain age (or even at all) but to try and say it shouldn't happen after a certain, random age, is wrong IMO.

I don't buy the argument about bottles, there are reasons why bottles should be avoided after a year if possible, milk pooling in the mouth etc, which doesn't happen with BFing.

so the people saying they would breast feed for as long as a child asks/wants it ...........does this include still doing it in their teenage years?????????

To be fair though I think a child would self wean by then. But I suppose you have ti ask when does the mother say no if the child still wants to? x

I think the average age for self weaning is 4 years (I think??) so that would make it extremely rare for a child to want to BF into their teenage years. I think it's rather a big jump from BFing a 4 or even 5 year old, to still be at it in their teenage years, I rather think that 99.999% of teenagers would not want to BF, wouldn't you??

I think the average age for self weaning is 4 years (I think??) so that would make it extremely rare for a child to want to BF into their teenage years. I think it's rather a big jump from BFing a 4 or even 5 year old, to still be at it in their teenage years, I rather think that 99.999% of teenagers would not want to BF, wouldn't you??

well not according to some of the stories threads and tv programmes i watch NO :haha:

Yeah I do think they would have self weaned by 4/5 as they start to want to be independance and seem to naturally want it less and less x

i dont think that age is to old for BF at all x

edit: although my personal choice would be 2.5- 3 def by 4.

The worldwide average age of weaning is 4.2 years and the median is about 2.8 years. In societies where self-weaning is the norm it usually happens between the ages of 3 and 4. Anthropological evidence predicts a minimum natural weaning age of 2.5 years with a maximum of 7 years. There have been a few cases of breastfeeding for longer than that, but in the vast majority of children the sucking reflex is lost by that age. So I would consider breastfeeding a 7 year old to be normal, but breastfeeding a teenager isn't.

I am never sure what makes people think that extended BF is more for the benefit of the mother, seeing that it is child led and also as it's impossible to get my currently 6 1/2 week old to BF if she doesn't want to, let alone an older child.

The whole point about it being child led is that it is for as long as the child wants it, not the mother, who is really just agreeing for it to be child led. Of course, if the mother wants to end BF before the child does, that is fine and in my experience most mothers would prefer to end BF (especially at night) before the child does.

I am a non breast feeder (i lasted a week lol) but have nothing against other people breastfeeding, although it does seem that people/society find it strange past 18 months to 2 years.

Im completly naive to these things, my mother wasnt a breastfeeder and no one i knew growing up was. I wanted to have a go when i my son was born, but lack of education, support and just generally finding it an unenjoyable experince meant i didnt last longer than a week.

I do feel really looked down on my some people for not breastfeeding my baby. But ultimately the decision was right for me and my family.

Anyway, i would find it strange to breastfeed Sam, no idea why, perhaps because i never embraced it, i do have a few friends who breastfeed over 2 years though. Im not bothered by it at all, it seems very diffrent to me as my son is a lot younger and doesnt even get a bottle.

What are the benefits of breatfeeding past 2 years?

The babies i know who are still breastfed seem to do it for comfort, still get night feeds and are very small for their ages. But then my son is a monster so it might just be my perspective. Im only asking for curiousity, im guessing there are many benefits and wondered what they were?

I think people are influence by the media, but i guess we are in everything we do :wacko:

I still breastfeed and have no intentions of stopping until amelie is ready. I do have a limit I suppose but unsure of what it is. I don't want to put a number on it, I assume I'll know when enough is enough.

I have no issue with it but I do sometimes wonder if the mother does it from her breast for her benefit as they have cuddles etc.

I was talking to the HV I am working with (who breastfed for 14 months) and she said she wonders if it is more for the mother as they enjoy the bond it brings. I don't see anything wrong with that but it does cross your mind. Also when would be the appropriate age to stop would it still be ok for an 8 year old to still have an actual breastfeed. Bottle fed babies are encorauged to have any milk in sippy cups rather than bottles so why can't breast milk be given in a sippy cup? x

You say that like my daghter cant use a cup? She only has 1 or 2 feeds a day, i'll be damned if im going to waste 2 hours of my day to express into a cup when it takes maybe 10-20 minutes to feed directly from the breast. + for whose benefit would it be? Not my daughters and certainly not mine. I don't force amelie to BF, she asks so even though I don't deny I enjoy the bond, it isnt more for me than it is for her. I'd obviously not continue if amelie didnt want to (plus itd be impossible).

What are the benefits of breatfeeding past 2 years?

The babies i know who are still breastfed seem to do it for comfort, still get night feeds and are very small for their ages. But then my son is a monster so it might just be my perspective. Im only asking for curiousity, im guessing there are many benefits and wondered what they were?

Studies have shown that all the normal benefits of breastfeeding such as a stronger immune system, lower incidence of childhood and adult disease, fewer allergies and higher IQ all continue to have an increased effect as the duration of breastfeeding increases. So not only do the benefits continue, the longer you breastfeed the better they become. Additionally, breastmilk is an excellent source of many vitamins, providing up to 94% of Vit B12 requirements for example! Extended breastfeeding also seems to have a positive effect on behaviour and emotional development. :)

I havent read the whole thread, so im probably just repeating what others say....

But ITV have very narrow minded opinions on what is right and wrong, im pretty sure they dont find glamour models repulsive... yet they say that a mother feeding her child, the most natural thing in the world is? Not to mention thats what boobs are meant for not page 3 or nuts lol Crazy world we live in!

Anyways, my LO still has a fair few feeds a day, she asks for them, its a bit of a nightmare if im holding her in Tescos and she shoves her hand down my top trying to fish my boobs out :haha: That is quite rare though, as generally, she doesnt usually want feeds when we are out, and if she does i can hold her off with juice, snacks etc. I spose i try to hold her off as i am wary of peoples opinions about it, i dont want to be judged just because i am feeding my child.

I dont really have an age limit yet, i guess i will stop when she wants too, though i think personally, for me that will be by the time she is 3/4. I find it sad though that i have comments from friends/family saying "is it not time you finished that yet".

Ahwell we are happy and thats all that matters, i do find the bond it gives me and LO amazing, and i do love the cuddles it gives us as well, but i dont see that as a bad thing :)

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->