Failed 1-hr glucose test: 158 :(

mhk425

Reaction score
Just found out that I failed my 1-hour glucose test with a 158. :( They told me anything above 139 is concerning. I go for my 3-hour test on Saturday and am absolutely freaking out! Anyone ever had a similar number for the 1-hour test and turn out ok?

I had a number in the 150s in the one hour and passed all phases of the 3 hour with no problem. Don't stress, I am noticing on the forums that it seems to pretty common :)

It seems to be pretty common. Were you fasting before your 1 hour?

I failed my 1 hour with a 161 and passed my 3 hour without any issues!

I was very upset when I failed my 1 hour (I actually cried afterwards when I found out I failed...), but then soon realized how common it is to fail the 1 hour and pass the 3 hour!

Try to relax. Even if you do fail the 3 hour, from what I've read it can be very manageable. When you go, just make sure you take stuff to do (and take something to eat for afterwards) and try to remain calm as hard as it may seem right now. But failing the 1 hour doesn't mean that you have GD :hugs:

a TON of women fail the 1 hour. i failed it by 2 points (137) with my daughter, and ended up failing my 3 hour with her (though i think their numbers were off because it just didnt sound right at all!)

i failed it again this time by 2 points (137 again) and ended up passing the 3 hour with flying colors.

make sure you fast (obviously) and bring something along to do. its a loooong test. and make sure you bring a snack in your bag for after the test. you will likely feel like absolute garbage once its over.

dont stress. im sure youll do fine. :)

I did fast before the test, so the results should be accurate. If I go on to pass the 3-hour test, should I still be at all concerned about my elevated levels on the 1-hour test?

I did fast before the test, so the results should be accurate. If I go on to pass the 3-hour test, should I still be at all concerned about my elevated levels on the 1-hour test?

youre not supposed to fast for the 1 hour test. with my daughter they didnt tell me to eat or not eat anything specific, but with this baby i was told 2 eggs with a piece of whole wheat toast and water.

the 3 hour test is more accurate, so no, if you pass it you dont need to worry. i believe if your fasting blood sugar (the first blood draw before the drink) is high then you automatically have GD, if 1 of the 4 tests are high then I believe they let you control it with diet, but if 2 of the 4 are high then youre diagnosed with GD.

I failed the 1-hour test last week with a 158. (I think I was 28w2d when I took it, so pretty close to you.) I just passed my 3-hour test yesterday with pretty normal results. The 3-hour test has higher limits, so most people do pass it, even if they fail the 1-hour.

The nurse who called me with my results said there is a slightly higher chance of a macrosomic baby if you fail the first test even if you pass the second, so she recommended that I eat smaller meals and somewhat limit carbs for the rest of the pregnancy.

Good luck! I know how stressful the GD test can be. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or just need support.

I failed the 1 hour which is really common. I fasted too, whicb I guess your not supposed to do, only for the 3 hour lol.. but I passed the 3 hour with great numbers, goodluck!

youre not supposed to fast for the 1 hour test. with my daughter they didnt tell me to eat or not eat anything specific, but with this baby i was told 2 eggs with a piece of whole wheat toast and water.

the 3 hour test is more accurate, so no, if you pass it you dont need to worry. i believe if your fasting blood sugar (the first blood draw before the drink) is high then you automatically have GD, if 1 of the 4 tests are high then I believe they let you control it with diet, but if 2 of the 4 are high then youre diagnosed with GD.

For the 1 hour test they told me not to eat or drink anything other than water for at least 2 hours before the test.

For the 1 hour test they told me not to eat or drink anything other than water for at least 2 hours before the test.

thats pretty normal. but you shouldnt fast. i had to eat and be in to do my test within 1-2 hours.

Generally not eating for 2 hours would put your blood sugar back to fasting levels. If I don't eat within 2 hours my glucose is 80 again.

Of course I took my test at 8:30am so I took mine fasting.

I too failed with either 161 or 163...can't recall. I fasted before the 1-hour and would not recommend this. Although my OB told me it would result in a more accurate test, I think it caused a boomerang effect and after doing some research am convinced it contributed to my high number.

I passed my 3-hour (passed all four levels, including fasting glucose).

They actually told me to fast before the 1-hour test, and it was on the written instructions they gave me. I need to call and find out if I should change my diet immediately or wait until after the test. There's no doubt that I'm eating pretty crappy stuff and need to do better regardless of whether I have GD or not. (Tons of carbs and lots of sugar. It's always been my weakness, but I've always been thin and not worried about it, even now.) I know I need to eat better in general, but I'm wondering if drastically changing it right now would give me inaccurately better results than I should get on Saturday. Even though I'm really scared, I don't want to do anything to "cheat" the results.

They actually told me to fast before the 1-hour test, and it was on the written instructions they gave me. I need to call and find out if I should change my diet immediately or wait until after the test. There's no doubt that I'm eating pretty crappy stuff and need to do better regardless of whether I have GD or not. (Tons of carbs and lots of sugar. It's always been my weakness, but I've always been thin and not worried about it, even now.) I know I need to eat better in general, but I'm wondering if drastically changing it right now would give me inaccurately better results than I should get on Saturday. Even though I'm really scared, I don't want to do anything to "cheat" the results.

While your results were high I don't think your results were THAT high to the point that you should worry. I read a study that fasting beforehand can lead to higher results than eating something small and taking the test an hour or two later.

As far as the 3 hour test, I've read that you are supposed to have around 150-200g carbs/day for a few days to a week before the test and fast 12 hours before. I don't know if that is more or less than what you are normally consuming now.

I have a pretty crappy diet too. I mean I purchased 26 pounds of gummy bears on a whim because I had an insane craving. DH and I went through almost 5 pounds within a few weeks of getting them and now I can't stand looking at them and they are sitting on my dining room table reminding me of how stupid I get while pregnant sometimes.

It has nothing to do with you, its just the hpl hormone that you have no control over so don't feel bad.

I definitely suggest that you try and eat more healthily simply because its better for you and baby but no need to freak out just yet.

2/3 of the people who fail the 1 hour test pass the 3 hour test.

While your results were high I don't think your results were THAT high to the point that you should worry. I read a study that fasting beforehand can lead to higher results than eating something small and taking the test an hour or two later.

As far as the 3 hour test, I've read that you are supposed to have around 150-200g carbs/day for a few days to a week before the test and fast 12 hours before. I don't know if that is more or less than what you are normally consuming now.

I have a pretty crappy diet too. I mean I purchased 26 pounds of gummy bears on a whim because I had an insane craving. DH and I went through almost 5 pounds within a few weeks of getting them and now I can't stand looking at them and they are sitting on my dining room table reminding me of how stupid I get while pregnant sometimes.

It has nothing to do with you, its just the hpl hormone that you have no control over so don't feel bad.

I definitely suggest that you try and eat more healthily simply because its better for you and baby but no need to freak out just yet.

2/3 of the people who fail the 1 hour test pass the 3 hour test.

Thank you for the reassurance! :hugs: I laughed out loud about the 26 pounds of gummy bears! Even I don't know if I could eat that many. ;)

I think it was just a major shock to hear that my levels were high. I didn't expect it at all (despite all the carbs/sugar I eat). I really knew nothing about GD but just assumed that I would definitely have some kind of symptoms; after researching a bit, I now know that most people have no symptoms whatsoever. I keep telling myself that even if I end up with GD, it'll hopefully cause a good change in my diet in the long run. Don't get me wrong, I'm praying I don't have it! But it hopefully wouldn't be the end of the world even if I do.

This. Totally this. They recommended I fast for 12 hours even though I think traditionally you're supposed to have a small, protein-only meal an hour or two before (like an egg). I fasted for 15 hours before the test because my appointment wasn't until 3pm and obviously I hadn't eaten in the middle of the night so it was either not fast for 12 hours or fast for 15, so I fasted for 15.

Big mistake. Like I said, I'm totally convinced it led to a boomerang effect as you suggest above. I got 161.

When I did the 3-hour test all my levels were totally fine. If I did the 1 hour again, I would have two eggs two hours before the test.

I failed the 2 hour test and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.... I have been testing my sugars now for a week and have made big life adjustments to be a role model diabetic!! I will meet with my assigned dietician this Friday to go over what my numbrs should look like and a healthy diet. Now my sister had GD with all 3 of her children, and they are perfect and she is in amazing shape and health. The GD left once each of her kids were born as I would think mine would as well seeing I am great shape and health as well. We are learning that diabetes is in our family so the gene is present. As long as we keep a healthy life style it should never come back. I actually feel healthier and better being on this new eating plan and watching my carb and sugar intake. I actually lost a pound over the last week and feel great. I was devestated when I got the call that I failed, but it has made me honest. Good luck to you!! :)

I failed the one hour with a 131 (my doctor's office has a really low threshold), but passed the 3 hour in a huge way- my numbers were all way lower than the cut offs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->