Fake babies!

I remember watching a tv programme about people who have these made for them. And then treat them as real babies.

One woman had a grandson but his parents took him to live in another country so she had a doll made of what he looked like when he was younger so she could pretend he was still there.

Quite upsetting really :( But they really do look amazingly similar :)

I seen it too. just wrong

I mean they are beautiful from an artistic stand point..but the ones with their eyes open are a little creepy..and the ones closed...look well dead.

I dont think its healthy for people who have lost a baby to hang on to a doll like it is their lost baby. I mean no I dont know what it feels like, but you cannot possibly move on when you are holding on to a doll like its your child.

Those dolls look way too real! Great work and detail, but too realistic. It disturbs me.

I started to watch the show on BBC America and it made me sick to my stomach, so I turned it off. Its one thing to have a doll made to comemmorate your child, but to carry it around in a car seat and treat it like a real baby is just plain creepy. Im sorry if theres anyone on here that likes that and I dont mean to offend you, but this reminds me of my dog when she had a false pregnancy and constantly stole my toys and nuzzled up with them in her box as if they were puppies. But she's a dog...

I'm going to put myself out on a limb here. I actually make Reborn dolls. For years I've been a procelian doll artist and sold many, where reborning first came into play it sparked my curiosity and almost seemed like a challenge, to work with a new set of paints ( they use heat set paints) - and to get the colours so realistic. So i gave it a shot and was quite surprised at how they turned out. Doll collecting is very popular. There will always be a group of people who will give it a bad name. Same as any collection, some people collect animals....then there's those who collect animals for fighting/testing etc...If that makes sense?

I certianly dont make them to look like a baby that has passed away and won't accept orders from people who want them to look like a photograph. In fact it's probably a small handful, and i mean very small handful of people who want a doll that looks like a baby they lost...and because the media found out about this very small group they've had a field day! Most dolls i make go to collectors.

I love doing it, I haven't been doing reborning for that long, but now i do more reborning dolls than i do porcelian ones. I love seeing the surpise of peoples face when they see them in my house/studio. I had a repairman once talking loud and then started to whisper and said "Oh i didn't realise you had a little one sleeping"....even after I told him it was a doll he had to touch it to believe me....from an artists point of view thats fantastic!!

Added - We've been trying for a baby for 3 years. i've been asked before how can I make these dolls when I want a baby of my own so bad....I'm not creating a baby, thats what people dont get...these are dolls and the creators are artists....There's nothing "real" about the doll except the appearance. And that is all just paint and shading...of course i have a cuddle when they are all dressed up and finished...But it's a DOLL...thats the thing to remember...I'm not selling babies and therefore I don't grow "attached" to these dolls..

i have a cuddle when they are all dressed up and finished...But it's a DOLL...thats the thing to remember...I'm not selling babies and therefore I don't grow "attached" to these dolls..

But some people who buy them do get really attached... its a bit extreme to take your doll out for day trips and shopping and sit feeding it "magic" bottles in the park... its kinda upsetting! :cry: I really feel for the people who seem really detached by the reality of it being a doll.. its just really sad.

From an artistic point of view they look great and very realistic... personally I just think that they could end up doing more harm then good in certain situations.

(no offence intended towards anyone tho.. each to there own)

Its pretty creepy i think :( I watched a program on them a few monthes ago. Though i have to agree from an artistic view they are pretty amazing..

i also make reborn dolls like ney ney i find it annoying that the media only ever pick up on the bad of it, the dolls are made as collectable items not of someones lost baby, very rarely is it seen that someone will have one made for that reason, i have only made a few and havent had the time recently as im pregnant and have a toddler to care for, but i see them as beautiful and artistic lol!

i think it is really sad that some people would have these dolls to replace a lost child because i dont see how they ever could replace them, and i personally would not make a doll for someone if that was the reason they wanted it, i dont sell my dolls as yet anyway, but i wouldnt sell to vulnerable people if i did, and many reborners feel the same and wouldnt also.

a lot of people do find them creepy and i completely understand that, everyones views on things are different, iv shown dolls to people and the reactions are unbeleivable i love it, iv had people say 'aww how old is she?' and all sorts, always makes me laugh, but to see one and hold them you actually see the art in it, more than you can in a photo or on tv

From the artistic point of view, they are incredible. The level of care and detail that goes into it is really amazing. From the personal point of view, dolls that are meant to be realistic scare me, so I couldn't ever own one... they give me the heebie jeebies!! I used to think my aunts' dolls were stalking me with their eyes. The kitchen and basement were the only rooms they didn't keep dolls in! I'm sure they'd have one of these if they were still alive. The more realistic the doll, the more my aunts liked them.

But some people who buy them do get really attached... its a bit extreme to take your doll out for day trips and shopping and sit feeding it "magic" bottles in the park... its kinda upsetting! :cry: I really feel for the people who seem really detached by the reality of it being a doll.. its just really sad.

I do understand what you're saying sweetie. No offence taken. They aren't for everyone. But I've seen strollers designed for dogs out recently, anyone seen those? Which to me completely defies the purpose of taking a dog for a walk...but point is people dress up dogs and cats and treat them like "babies" or children...Each group or community will always have it's bad apples, my point being the "some people" who do take the babies and act like they are real, is a very small number.....but like I said previously, the media has blown it way out of control. Dont let the actions of a small group let you judge the rest.

Anway, I love making the dolls, I love the whole creation process and watching your hard work come together. It's not a simple process, it takes a long time to get a reborn doll up to selling standards. :blush:......But I can almost make my weekly wage in just one doll...So the bonus' outweights the negative spin the media takes fun in giving it.

Hi Ladies,

A lot of the things everyones heard on that TV show My Fake Baby, are unique to the people involved in the show. Most of the people that own reborn's are doll collectors and some are just mothers who want a sort of 3D portrait of their baby that they can hold.

The show focused on a very small group of people that have taken owning a lifelike doll to a different level.

I am a reborn artist and since that show I have had some pretty odd looks when transporting my dolls.

This is one of my dolly creations, I hope she's not to creepy for you.

https://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff278/simonejon/P1010914-1.jpg

:hug: Simone

Please could you not bump year old threads to publicise your work.

S.C>

I make and sell these dolls from my website and also also on ebay. I find that most people just buy them because they like dolls.
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/caroleharvey/chrissy/rennee065.gif

I'm going to put myself out on a limb here. I actually make Reborn dolls. For years I've been a procelian doll artist and sold many, where reborning first came into play it sparked my curiosity and almost seemed like a challenge, to work with a new set of paints ( they use heat set paints) - and to get the colours so realistic. So i gave it a shot and was quite surprised at how they turned out. Doll collecting is very popular. There will always be a group of people who will give it a bad name. Same as any collection, some people collect animals....then there's those who collect animals for fighting/testing etc...If that makes sense?

I certianly dont make them to look like a baby that has passed away and won't accept orders from people who want them to look like a photograph. In fact it's probably a small handful, and i mean very small handful of people who want a doll that looks like a baby they lost...and because the media found out about this very small group they've had a field day! Most dolls i make go to collectors.

I love doing it, I haven't been doing reborning for that long, but now i do more reborning dolls than i do porcelian ones. I love seeing the surpise of peoples face when they see them in my house/studio. I had a repairman once talking loud and then started to whisper and said "Oh i didn't realise you had a little one sleeping"....even after I told him it was a doll he had to touch it to believe me....from an artists point of view thats fantastic!!

Added - We've been trying for a baby for 3 years. i've been asked before how can I make these dolls when I want a baby of my own so bad....I'm not creating a baby, thats what people dont get...these are dolls and the creators are artists....There's nothing "real" about the doll except the appearance. And that is all just paint and shading...of course i have a cuddle when they are all dressed up and finished...But it's a DOLL...thats the thing to remember...I'm not selling babies and therefore I don't grow "attached" to these dolls..

earthangel in the forums makes similar babies too but not for reborn. I have seen her work it is truely amazing.

I dont think they're creepy - they are just dolls

Id have one if they weren't so expensive xx

The art is amazing, but they scare me.. they look dead and I really don't like how people can get attached to them. Sorry, not a fan :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->