• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

February 2014 thread for new mums :)

I was EBF up until Monday morning. I've been away from him during the day Monday to Wednesday so he's had a mix of formula and expressed milk I had in the freezer. I've had no issues feeding him last thing, overnight and first thing in the morning. It's scary how quickly my supply has dipped I had rock solid boobs Monday and Tuesday but they were fine Wednesday. I've offered the boob at every feed today after a few sucks he's refused, the only one he would take was first thing. I'm hoping he's going to take overnight and first thing tomorrow.

I'm going to go for about 6 months for solids. He's 16 weeks old tomorrow and will be no way ready for food in a week. I waited until DS1 showed signs of being ready and that was 5 1/2 months for him and he's always been a pretty reasonable eater. Foods faff, I wouldn't be in a hurry to do it in all honestly.

What signs should I be on the look out for ? I'm not in any hurry to give him solids so would like to introduce when he is ready .

I got it wrong my sons actually 17 weeks old today time flys.

a baby needs to be able to sit well
good head control
loose their reflex to instantly push things out of there mouth
have an interest in food

DH is really keen on starting solids ASAP.... Whilst I don't feel the need to wait until six months I do want to wait until Rufus is showing clear signs that he's ready and we're not there yet.
When you say that baby should be able to sit well does that mean independently? Rufus is fine sitting on out knee / in jumperoo but he still needs some support...

Depending whether ur doing puree or babyled if u decide to do babyled weaning it may be later than 6 months.

Mine has started trying to sit up when I prop him up against something but there's no way he can balance in his own yet. We've borrowed a bumbo today and he looks so grown up in it. Where did my tiny baby go? :cry:

They don't have to sit independently just stay steady when supported. So for example they stay upright rather than slump forward in a bumbo for example.

I know the time flys buy. I've had my last baby and he's not tiny anymore. While my eldest has now gone 2 days without an accident (we are currently potty training) and identified lots of letters this morning while he "helped" me open all my birthday presents and cards (translation opened them for me while I watched)

Well when I expressed tonight I only got like 2oz instead of my usual 7 or 8, think we might be making the switch fully to formula soon, it makes me a bit sad because I miss the closeness of breastfeeding but I suppose it means my partner can help out feeding and have that time to bond too, there is always a bright side I guess (plus now I get to have a drink without worrying about when I will next need to feed lol)

My Little Man has discovered his feet and has spent all day grabbing them, where has my little baby gone?

Attachments

• 2014-06-08 16.10.42.jpg
    2014-06-08 16.10.42.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 2
Im also going to try to get as near to 6 month before weaning also

I was planning on waiting till closer to 6 months but Will is 18 weeks tomorow and he is starting to show some signs that he is ready for food, going to try to wait a few more weeks and see how he gets on but he is a big boy and don't know how long he will manage on just milk

Well, LO is refusing to latch most of the time now so I think we're on the verge of the switch over. Part of me is feeling relieved that the decision has pretty much been made for me but another part is quite sad that it's the end of something special between me and my son - I guess I'd feel that way even if we were EBF and six months in though. I've decided to do some extra things so we get the skin to skin and cuddle time - we had a bath together last night which was lovely. Is anyone using a frame to put in the main bath that they can recommend? I just managed without but it's hard manouverung a slippy baby - I'd rather be safe!

I've also been reading the Contented Baby Weaning book. OMG! Is anyone reading anything that's a bit less... Hardcore?! I think I need a gentler intro! No plans to wean yet - just reading up in advance!

I know when your at that in-between stage its awful until you just accept the bf is over and move on . I was like that for the last few weeks ( as you could prob tell from my posts ! ) but have accepted it now and its fine , am happily giving ff now as expressing was not working for me .

I'm going to buy a book on weaning but rit now have only read the literature from Hv which is good and simple . Breaks it up into 3 stages . First 2 weeks stage1 then next 4 weeks then from 6 months to 1 year . Lists foods to introduce , when to introduce what and how much . That will do me for now . She made a good point which was not to introduce sweet before savoury as the LO might favour it and be fussy then about taking savoury ? Its all very exciting for me FTM lol.......

I agree with not giving sweet first but I think slightly sweeter fruits like apple and pear can be a good first food to try baby with and it's what I will be doing as well as giving veg as well

That sounds like simple, straightforward information :) My HV is coming over next week so hopefully I'll get something similar from her. I've just ordered a book called 'Weaning Made Easy' which was recommended by a friend. I'm sure it'll be hard work but I'm quite excited about introducing him to all these new flavours.

How often do your babies take a bottle of formula, William will sometimes only go 2-2 hrs 30 between feeds, I thought formula was supposed to keep them full longer

Do HV give advices on BLW now days that didn't like it a few years ago so I'm not sure if they have caught up with the times since then?

If you do TW I recommend the annabel kamel book, lots of recipes. I stopped using it the less and less I did purée food but it does have toddler food in as well.

I used the river cottage baby cookbook a lot when I did more BLW as the recipes are sorted by seasons, which is good for me as we get a lot of seasonal produce, and easily adaptable for other family members. It does have some purée food as well.

Isaac does the same gaps with formula as he did with the boob. 3 - 4 hrs. 6-7oz a feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->