FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

Savvy I'm getting more pins and needles type sensation on my hip/leg where I get the most pressure when I lay down. I'm doubling up a duvet under tonight in the hope that helps.
Xx

I haven't weighed myself since I was 12 weeks so I expect that my eyes will nearly fall out of my head when I do decide to weigh myself next.
I've also been getting really bad lower back ache, it was so bad the other evening that it made me sick! I haven't got leg cramp yet although I have been woken up in the night by the feeling of it coming but thankfully it buggered off! Not looking forward to that one!

I don't really think those "techniques" really help prepare you for labour to be honest! That was my point -- the simulation she had us do was absolutely nothing like a contraction. :haha: The best things I did to prepare were to practice breathing and visualization techniques -- things that really helped me stay calm during pregnancy. Then I used those coping techniques during contractions and they helped a lot! Plus a natural contraction doesn't last more than a minute, and then you get a sweet break. ;)

Sorry I should have explained more fully (was typing during a meeting! :lol: ) - it sounded like the point of the ice cube thing was for you to practice a few different things and work out what worked best for you as a coping technique.

I've been practicing my breathing every night before bed at the same time that I'm doing my hip/glute stretches the chiro gave me. And I told my husband last night to help me conjure up an imaginary safe happy place (and we were lying in bed in the dark cuddling and he said 'here works for me' :cloud9: ).

Oh, I see! I've read about the ice cube thing in Birthing From Within, and while I haven't tried it myself, I do see how it could help in that way. Plus with an ice cube you're just sitting there trying to deal with a sensation instead of physically needing to move your arms in a painful way. My breathing techniques did not work with the arm challenge! :haha:

Oh I've heard swimming can help with back/leg/joint pain!

I'm almost in tears after reading your responses, ladies. Thank you so much. You have really relieved the majority of my fear of my pain tolerance. I was feeling really bummed out and considering sorta giving up on all my efforts to get through labor naturally. But after some pep talking with my friends and from you guys, I feel much better and I'm back to my plan.

And about the leg cramps: I had the first one of my whole life this morning at 6:30 and it woke me up from a deep sleep during a dream... I realized what it was and it seized up more and more, and I was in my hotel room by myself yelling out in agony for about 4 or 5 minutes. During that time, I started to think "Maybe I should try visualization during this thing because I know it will go away soon" and that helped me calm down and breathe through it. So even though nothing can imitate the sensation of a contraction, at least we can practice controlling our mindset during whatever pain we are having.

But I wanted to also say, my friend on FB swears by this- to keep mustard accessible and whenever a leg cramp comes on, have a teaspoon of mustard and it should make the pain go away faster. I have no clue if it works, but this lady swears it does. My mom had them during pregnancy and she says having a glass of milk before bed helps prevent them (but I can't really stomach milk). And of course the typical "eat a banana" (or prunes which have more potassium but not many people know that) and drink water... it does sound like a certain balance of minerals and nutrients in your body plays a role in getting leg cramps, but it's not an exact science.

Also Feronia- yes swimming is a freaking Godsend!!! But it only lasts while you're in the water. And you have to be careful not to do breaststroke or too rigorous kicking, because it might make the pain even worse once you get out of the pool. I'm a huge fan of the water and since I'm in a hotel, I'm about to go swimming right now actually. It makes you so weightless and I could just float there for hours.

Hi ladies: finally caught up after being AWOL a few days. Have been in and out of the midwife office the past two days. Sigh. :| They did a test yesterday on discharge I was having, as it seemed excessive. The PH was + for amniotic fluid (except the strips don't say WHAT it is, just a PH level reading and there's multiple things that can trigger it). Both ferning test and internal peek said no to amniotic fluid. They kept me for awhile, made me change my pad and take a walk and come back. Bone dry pad, repeat tests, no +PH, no other weird signs.

Sent me home, took me back today. Again -PH, looks like I *may* be starting a little infection so they sent a culture to be tested. But as of now, I'm on pelvic rest for the remainder of pregnancy 'in case of' a leak, but they don't believe that's it.

However, of course, because nothing in my pregnancy can ever just be smooth (lol), she said my cervix was a little soft. I blinked and asked if that's concerning and the midwife paused and said, "Well love, anything not quite 'normal' with you is a little concerning," (high risk and all), but she continued to reassure me that since I'm almost 24 weeks and they don't do checks of the cervix at all my appointments, she didn't think it was any cause for concern right now. But they'll be continuing their diligence in monitoring me, with hopes to get me to at least 36 weeks.

:brat: I feel like I'm losing my mind, trying not to be worried but still combating concerns. I don't know if I've cried so much this whole pregnancy as I did this week. Hoping I can get get control over myself and relax for awhile, now.

Anyway sorry for the rant, props to anyone who actually read that crap. But I'm just a little frustrated, hoping all goes smoothly going forward.

Have missed you ladies, but am glad things seem to be going well as a whole with everyone. :)

Big hugs Megan and swan. :hugs: We're in such a vulnerable place right now, it's easy to understand how our fears can start to overwhelm us.
Swan, I hope it's not anything too worrying with the infection and 'softness'.

How lovely, Melly! :) what a softie :)

Funnily enough I saw the ice cube thing on a tv show today! I think I will look into breathing exercises a little down the line. I think on the day I will do ok- I am good when there is something to do/deal with/aim to get through. I find being patient and waiting for things very challenging, and that has definitely applied during pregnancy!

Megan- my mil swears by tonic water for those types of leg cramps. Something to do with quinine? You'd have to look that up obviously as I don't know anything about it.
My dh gets leg cramps from lack of salt so he says.

Oh no swan! Glad they are looking after you though. Is the pelvic rest due to infection incase your waters have actually broken? Or in fear of setting anything off? You could always try/research condoms if it's the former if you wanted/needed to.
We will be using condoms or using the withdrawal method incase that enzyme in the sperm softens my already soft and dilating cervix.
Xx

Big hugs, swan. :hugs: I was in the OR a couple of weeks ago for lots of discharge and some weird pains. I tested negative then (and again last week at a regular appt) for amniotic fluid, but ph was off, and i ended up being positive for bacterial vaginosis (now on round two of antibiotics :(). Booooo. I did see a home infection test kit at the chemists, but didn't get it to do myself, as a + for an infection can be confused with amniotic fluid... so, long story short- bv and amniotic fluid can come up the same when they do a quick test (just like you said). So, if they did a specific amniotic fluid test, and that was negative it sounds pretty good and you might well be on the bv wagon. (hopefully this makes sense!) An infection isnt great, but easily treated. :)

It is really scary when anything strange happens. My OH was away when this all kicked off, and I was in tears. A lot. Thinking of you!

The good news is that you are being monitored, and you are so close to 24 weeks. Every day your baby is bigger and stronger! Remember that your tests didn't show anything really sinister, and you and your dr are on top of things. You are being watched, and nothing says you won't get to 36+ weeks. It is easy to worry about the worst, but try to keep positive. :hugs:

Wishing you lots of good news from here.

Thanks ladies! :hugs: I find the whole 'slightly soft cervix' thing disconcerting but since they've not been checking it all along, they have nothing to compare it to and she didn't feel it was effaced at all. So I'm like, okay. Guess for now I just need to chill. :rofl: Yeah, okay.

Raspberry: bit of both! She doesn't want to risk infection, or bothering infection if I have a bacterial thing brewing down there. But also she doesn't want to risk stirring me up or having my uterus tighten from O and such. So for the moment, they're being cautious and we can "re discuss" at my true appointment, which is next week.

Swan, so sorry to hear, but I am glad they are keeping an eye on you. Hoping things look better at your next check up. Never apologize for what you post, we are all here to read and send positive thoughts. :hugs:

I have read a few tips on the leg cramps...potassium could be low, calcium could be low...I eat a banana every day and a baked potato a few times a week, I consistently test low for potassium so that could very well be my problem. I am unable to drink milk but am able to eat cheese so I try to eat as much as possible including string cheese if I wake up at night hungry. One more tip, if you do get leg cramps in the middle of the night you are suppose to stand up...I am lucky if I can even move my leg, so I read it is also helpful to point your toes to your nose and stretch the muscle. It helps if I catch them early. I am still waiting for the "glowing" stage of pregnancy...no one ever mentions all the pain and worrying! I guess at least one positive is actually seeing the twins kick and punch at my tummy! :)

Swan, are you comfortable checking your own cervix? (With clean hands!) The nurse midwife said the cervix softens from the firmness of the end of your nose, to the firmness of your earlobe, to the softness of your lips, over the course of labour. Even if it's hard to compare, maybe you could start monitoring it and seeing if you notice any changes?

Swan, are you comfortable checking your own cervix? (With clean hands!) The nurse midwife said the cervix softens from the firmness of the end of your nose, to the firmness of your earlobe, to the softness of your lips, over the course of labour. Even if it's hard to compare, maybe you could start monitoring it and seeing if you notice any changes?

I've been doing this to check for changes too.
Xx

This is how much I'm overthinking boys names at this point. I downloaded the social security names database awhile back and have been making some plots. For example:

Attachments

• boynames.jpg
    boynames.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 6
Anything at all out if the ordinary is definitely scary, swan!

I doubt I will ever glow, I just hope to feel a little less worried as time goes on. We shall see.

RE: checking your own cervix... just wondering- did you ask your midwife or dr what they thought about doing it? I would like the reassurance of checking, but I haven't dared go anywhere near it, lest I introduce infection/bacteria or somehow cause it to change. just curious if you got the green light from your doctor, or just felt it was right and that you know what you are doing?

I know people do it while they are ttc, but I guess the baby being in there makes me leery.

I know how you feel Megan! My back pain has been unbearable some nights and last night it was crippling. I've had to get my husband to help me sit/stand and walk to the bathroom! Having that coupled with a severe storm that rolled through last night (I was wide awake until 5AM!) it was a real stinker!

Do we have anyone from Ottawa in here? I don't think we do but just in case.. I hope they're staying safe! My brother in law works for the government there and is currently on lock down, scary stuff. What's the world coming to eh?

I'm not in Ottawa...but the whole Country is very upset over the events today :(
Pretty shocking....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->