FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

At my last appointment, we got an information pack on cord blood banking... Our doctor didn't really offer advice either way, but I plan to ask her opinion next time. Just curious on what you ladies are thinking about it? And did you do it for earlier pregnancies?

...I really don't know what I think yet!

I'm doing delayed cord clamping again this time, too, (we will wait until the cord stops pulsing) and you can't do both. I think that the immediate effects of delayed cord clamping are far better than doing cord blood banking, and if this is private cord banking, the chances of it helping your child in the future are SLIM!

When you do delayed cord clamping, though, your baby receives about 30% more of the fetal-placental blood volume, which really is significant when it comes to iron stores and the prevention of anemia. There are a host of benefits! Ultimately it's your choice and don't let anyone pressure you otherwise, but read about both options extensively if you can.

I'm curious if my Dr will let me do delayed cord clamping....? It feels like my next appointment is so far away, and I have soooo many questions this time compared to last month.

I've had people bugging me at work about me lifting...and hurting baby...even someone told me I couldn't reach above my head as I was facing product on a top shelf. I swear I'm not lifting more than 20lbs...
I only do what I feel comfortable with.

Anyone else with physical jobs or even just home life being physical with other little ones?

Swan - so sorry you're having a rough time.

Megan - I was also woken up by an awful leg cramp in the middle of the night. I started drinking more water and haven't had one since. But may just be coincidence that I didn't have another!

I'm in Ottawa - well, Hull - across the river in Quebec a kilometre away. It was really crazy. We were on lockdown for a few hours (not that anyone was venturing outside anyways!), and lots of people had family/friends either in or near Parliament. We could see one of the interprovincial bridges from our windows, and it was jammed all day while the police searched cars.

How scary, huckleberry :(

SurpriseBub, I haven't done it myself yet, but that's why I stipulated clean hands!

How scary, huckleberry :(

SurpriseBub, I haven't done it myself yet, but that's why I stipulated clean hands!

True! I did note that you said that :) just curious whether it is advised not to, or whether drs feel it is ok.

I'm personally comfortable checking my cervix since I did check it all through my months of TTC.

But as I am on pelvic rest, they want nothing inside my vagina, despite how clean I may make my hands. She said its not likely they'll even monitor it as much with checks as with ultrasound until I am a little further, to avoid irritating the cervix or risking introduction of bacteria.

So for now the only things going in are her sterile speculum if she feels the need to check on things. Otherwise I just get to sit and be nervous about it. LOL. but probably for the better as I hadn't checked it at all since I got pregnant so I have no "control texture" to which I can compare. Thus, maybe my current state of "slightly soft" is just as firm as it gets for me. We can never know - for now. So it would probably just be another cause for concern if I did keep checking LOL.

Hopefully since she didn't see or feel effacement, it's just another freak thing, like everything else with me seems to be. I am on the shots so that's supposed to give me some hope. Rofl.

Melly i also have a scan every 4 weeks since 20 weeks :) It is just regular growth scans to make sure if there is any kind of IUGR then they notice it sooner and can monitor - if they notice anything then they would move them to every 2 weeks (UK) i've had scans at 9 wks, 12 wks, 20 wks, 24 wks... my next is on 12th Nov for my 28 week - they schedule the next one after each one over here - so 32wks and 36 wks if we get that far :thumbup:

Bummer, no twin-twin scans next month...my appointment is on November 11th! :)

Lol just shows how regular they are though same day last time and only one day apart this time lol

I suffer Leg cramps and the only thing when it happens that helps me is to stretch the muscle by pointing toes to nose. Occasionally massaging it is you catch it before it goes into a full cramp can help to.

I feel you ladies on the pelvis hip and back pain. I tried to climb into a high hotel bed on Saturday. .. think it made my pelvis move at the front oh I screamed and scared dh lol since then I've been in agony most of the time.

Thinking of all those in Canada!

Swan hope the pelvic rest does the trick and things don't progress with your cervix. Hope its not fluid your leaking and its something that is simply treated. X

RE: checking your own cervix... just wondering- did you ask your midwife or dr what they thought about doing it? I would like the reassurance of checking, but I haven't dared go anywhere near it, lest I introduce infection/bacteria or somehow cause it to change. just curious if you got the green light from your doctor, or just felt it was right and that you know what you are doing?

I know people do it while they are ttc, but I guess the baby being in there makes me leery.

My doctor has to check because of my lletz treatment.
Since I have to insert 3 pessaries daily I figured it wouldn't be much different to check whilst I was there every so often.
I don't really see it as any different in introducing to bacteria than foreplay/sex.

Xx

Lol just shows how regular they are though same day last time and only one day apart this time lol

I suffer Leg cramps and the only thing when it happens that helps me is to stretch the muscle by pointing toes to nose. Occasionally massaging it is you catch it before it goes into a full cramp can help to.

We are basically on the same schedule though I am a week behind (24 weeks+ right now). I could have picked any day that week but I hate early Monday morning appointments so I picked Tuesday at 7 am, that way my hubby can come and still get to work at a reasonable time.

If I catch the cramp early it really helps to stretch and it usually goes away immediately. The other night I wasn't so lucky, my foot was locked pointed down and my whole calf was rock hard and the muscle was like bulging out. Sitting there screaming I had to physically move my foot and leg. My calf is still sore even though it is a few days later.

Owwww the leg cramps sound painful, in glad I've avoided that symptom at least!

Swan I'm sorry to hear about your worrying symptoms :( Hang in there and I'm sure everything will be ok :) :hugs:

Sorry about the terrible leg cramps ladies!!!!

A quick update on me.... So yesterday my dr had me in to the office because i was having vision stuff with the headache that had lasted over a week. Once I was there she checked me over and then sent me over to l&d to be admitted for monitoring and tests. Everything is ok. On my pre e blood work my ldh was slightly elevated and my albumin was slightly low. My bp remained fine and no protein in my urine so I'm clear there for now. They think the severe headache was caused by my anemia So i may get a blood transfusion soon... we'll see. I was given some sort of narcotic for my head and i finally slept well for the first time in a few weeks and my headache is almost totally gone.

So sorry about what's happening with you, swan! Fingers crossed everything is okay, and I'm glad you were - for amniotic fluid. Did your midwife say your cervix was effaced or just soft? Being soft is normal during pregnancy, and since you've had a baby before, being open up to about a fingertip is also normal, but thinning out at this stage is not. It might be a good idea to check your cervix occasionally for changes. You far less likely to introduce infection compared to someone else checking your cervix as long as your hands are clean.

I checked my cervix all the time when I was in early labour and active labour and got to be pretty accurate in assessing my dilation. I also even felt DD's ear, which was super weird (and let me know she was in a bad position)!
There's a guide here on checking your own cervix: https://wisewomanwayofbirth.com/tag/cervix/
I do think it's empowering and I wouldn't ask any doctor for permission to touch a part of my own body... as long as you're gentle and have clean hands, you're going to have a much better idea of your own comfort and safety compared to someone else.

Also, it's widely recognized by medical organizations that delayed cord clamping is preferred for the health of the baby, so unless there's an emergency and baby needs immediate care, your doctor should REALLY agree to it! It's absolutely your choice anyway!

ttc126 I hope everything is okay with you and that you get the blood transfusion if that's what you need! Glad you were able to finally get some sleep, that must have been stressful...

Swan I'm sorry to hear about your worrying symptoms :( Hang in there and I'm sure everything will be ok :) :hugs:

Sorry about the terrible leg cramps ladies!!!!

A quick update on me.... So yesterday my dr had me in to the office because i was having vision stuff with the headache that had lasted over a week. Once I was there she checked me over and then sent me over to l&d to be admitted for monitoring and tests. Everything is ok. On my pre e blood work my ldh was slightly elevated and my albumin was slightly low. My bp remained fine and no protein in my urine so I'm clear there for now. They think the severe headache was caused by my anemia So i may get a blood transfusion soon... we'll see. I was given some sort of narcotic for my head and i finally slept well for the first time in a few weeks and my headache is almost totally gone.

Your having such a rough time bless ya :hugs: Hope things settle down for you and you can try and enjoy some of this pregnancy without worry xx

ttc, sending positive thoughts and I am glad you were finally able to get some rest. Glad they are keeping watch and monitoring everything they can.

Glad to see everyone is either well or receiving good care!

I had a fall today :blush: Tripped over the kerb and went down on my knees, face first into a brick wall. Luckily it was outside the children's centre where I volunteer so my midwife was there and saw it happen. She took me in to be checked over and baby seemed fine but, because I'm Rh- I had to go to hospital to have bloods and an anti-D injection. I'm sore with a few grazes and bruises and I'm still worried about the baby but, hopefully, everything will be fine. My pride was hurt more than anything, how embarrassing!!

I had a fall today :blush: Tripped over the kerb and went down on my knees, face first into a brick wall. Luckily it was outside the children's centre where I volunteer so my midwife was there and saw it happen. She took me in to be checked over and baby seemed fine but, because I'm Rh- I had to go to hospital to have bloods and an anti-D injection. I'm sore with a few grazes and bruises and I'm still worried about the baby but, hopefully, everything will be fine. My pride was hurt more than anything, how embarrassing!!

Oh dear. Poor you. Glad baby fine. I've got my anti d in two weeks.

Oh no :( Hope it's only your knees and ego thats bruised and bubs is fine :flower:

Sorry about the fall, mini bump! Hopefully you are feeling better, and your pride is on the mend ;)

You are such a trooper, ttc! Glad you got some rest, and hope things will be on the up shortly.

I agree you shouldn't need your doctor's approval to check your own cervix. I was just curious, as tempting as it sounds I would be afraid of causing more issues than the checking would solve. :flower:

Oh MiniBump, sorry about the fall. I would be worried as well, justified or not! I hope the knees don't hurt too much.

I had another random vomit this morning, lost all my breakfast just before leaving for work. Hmph! Maybe the kids are turning against oatmeal?!

So my 4yo dd broke up rrom school today for her first ever halfbterm break I am so glad, whenvshe is at schoolmi end up loafing and unloading 4 kids so majy times on tuesday I counted I hand lifted them either in or outnof the cwr 48 times they weigh sn avwrage of 24lb esch so thats 1152lb
I lifted in one day no wonder im tired as thwtsnjuetbthe car lowting let aoone cooking clesning and packing for our movr in 19 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->