FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

Captain, that's so awesome! I had no idea you also weren't from Canada. Where are you from? DH and I are from San Diego and have been here almost 5 years. We became permanent residents last year and next August we can apply to become citizens -- yay! :D If I get into the midwifery program here I'm going to do most of my placements (especially the rural placement) on the Island. I've never seen any of Eastern Canada either, lol. Only parts of BC!

I'm from Wales in the UK! I came out here travelling in 2010 and met OH in Victoria and he hasn't been able to get rid of me ever since! :haha:

I went back to the UK last year when my grandfather passed away, four days after I got back to BC I had an e-mail from Immigration Canada informing me I had an interview in London, England in two weeks time, it made for a very expensive month! But they gave me my landed immigrant papers at the interview so when I flew back into Canada I became a resident!

According to the little online calculator I will be able to apply for citizenship next summer. Isn't it funny how our little ones will be Canadians before us (and I'm guessing yours already is?) :haha:

That would be great to do your placements on the island, I just love it here and think it's an amazing place to raise a family :)

2010 is when we came to Victoria as well! :D I think we can both become citizens the same time. Maybe I'll see you in the ceremony, lol. Strange, we never had to do an interview, but since we were already living here we had to drive down to the border at Pt. Roberts and just make a U-turn to come back and "immigrate." :haha:

Yeah my daughter was born a Canadian, and it took a few months for her to get her dual American citizenship, lol. We called her our "anchor baby." :haha: It was sort of strange that we were American and not Canadian, and she was Canadian and not American for a little while. Can you get dual UK/Canada citizenship?

I have referred to the twins as 'anchor babies' a few times - I am applying for a green card in the US (I'm Australian) and my application is actually through my job, but if it falls through for some reason, I'll be married to an American with American babies, so I have an alternate route. :lol:

I PASSED MY GLUCOSE TEST!!!! Four blood tests and three blown veins later, but all were within range! WOOHOOOOOOOO!

Congrats, melly! Great that you passed :) it sucks you had to do the 3 hour test, but better safe than sorry, I guess!

Good luck on your visa application- dealing with that headache sucks!! I am counted as a permanent resident, but we have to pass future hurdles for my status to be more permanent/unconditional. Are you doing it through work for any specific reason? (If the visa would be job linked, it might be easier in the long run to get a spousal visa?) I am sure you know what you are doing, but none the less- The visa journey website has tonnes of advice if ever you need it :) it is nuts how well some people know all the statutes and regulations!

I've been on several visas over the years, all job-related. There are a few reasons I'm going through work for the green card - so that work will pay for it (it's thousands of dollars!), so that it's not tied to my husband in case anything happens in our relationship (not that I'm expecting it too, but you have to stay together for some minimum amount of time or you lose the green card), so his family won't think I married him for a green card, and because it is something I can get on my own, and I like to be independent, and I want to have earned it. My stage 1 'outstanding researcher' petition has been approved, so that's nice. :lol: The only stipulation is that I have to keep working for my current employer for a year after getting the green card or else I have to pay them back for the cost of the green card, but once the green card is approved it's not tied to my job at all, I'm just a permanent resident. Huzzah!

That does sound like a good deal! (Yay for work paying!) ...And 12 months isn't bad to be tied to. I have a friend on a 5 year work visa in the UK, but she jeopardises it if ever she wants to leave her current employer. :S I very much respect you wanting to do it on your own steam, too! :)

yay for passing Melly!! Not so yay for the blown veins! All this visa talk makes me glad i'm a home bird lol I love to travel for short times but i can't wait to get home and back and thats even short travel around the UK - 5 days in Ireland was more than enough time away from home in October lol

I hope you all get the required Visa's and become resident where you desire :)

Wow, lots of talk about visas today! I came to the UK from North Carolina 2 years and 7 months ago now to be with my husband (married in December 2011, spouse visa was granted April 2012). I've finally received my indefinite leave to remain, which means I'm a permanent resident so long as I do not live outside of the country for over 2 years, and I can technically apply for my citizenship next summer. I'll probably wait a bit for the citizenship due to the cost though.

Also, speaking of transverse babies, mine is still supposedly transverse (was last Monday at MW appointment), but still flips around in all directions. It was kicking above my belly button last night (really big hard kicks too!), and it's back to kicking down on my right side just above my hip again now. Some babies don't turn until during labour! Hopefully ours will turn and stay put sooner rather than later though. :thumbup:

Oh yes and this little monkey is all over the place kind of breech/transverse but changes all the time. We Had a second 3D scsn yesterday and she still didn't cooperate,head in my ribs and snuggling the placenta - which btw looks enormous xx

I also did my permanent residency application through my former job, and only had to work in Canada for a year since I graduated from a Canadian university. It sounds like you'll get your permanent residency faster through your job compared to if you did it through your husband, right Melly? Congrats on passing your 3-hour test, too! I thought you would!

I wish I had the skills to do belly mapping to see what position my baby is in, but alas, I do not -- yet. ;)

There are definite pluses to not moving far from home, shells! :) I left Australia at 19 and just sort of went from there. One thing leads to another and then you are suddenly living in America! ;) we won't have any family on either side living close by, which will be a shame for Baby... but i guess you can't have it all! :)

I didn't realize you were American, mrstm1! :) great that you are eligible for citizenship so soon. I miss quite a few things about the UK... enjoy a waitrose food shop for me, please!

The night before my scan at 25 weeks Baby did some major moving (I think she completely flipped) and we were told she was kind of head down with her legs around to the left. I am sure she used to kick with her feet on the lower right- What i feel there now is softer (so I assume punches). Sadly I am not getting the big kicks the way I was as they seem to be muffled by my anterior left placenta. I think my baby chooses a comfy spot and seemingly wiggles and adjusts But for the most part stays that way for a long time!

I also did my permanent residency application through my former job, and only had to work in Canada for a year since I graduated from a Canadian university. It sounds like you'll get your permanent residency faster through your job compared to if you did it through your husband, right Melly? Congrats on passing your 3-hour test, too! I thought you would!

I wish I had the skills to do belly mapping to see what position my baby is in, but alas, I do not -- yet. ;)

I wish i could tell too. Midwife tells me baby is head down, but I cannot feel anything more than lumps and bumps! Even kicks are not strong. It is still more like regular flutters. I would love a good thump, but apart from nudges, nothing like that at all. Is that unusual do you think?

Izzie, that's not unusual at all and will vary highly based on the baby's position and the position of your placenta. If baby is head down and occiput anterior, you won't feel much at all since baby will be kicking your back!

2010 is when we came to Victoria as well! :D I think we can both become citizens the same time. Maybe I'll see you in the ceremony, lol. Strange, we never had to do an interview, but since we were already living here we had to drive down to the border at Pt. Roberts and just make a U-turn to come back and "immigrate." :haha:

Yeah my daughter was born a Canadian, and it took a few months for her to get her dual American citizenship, lol. We called her our "anchor baby." :haha: It was sort of strange that we were American and not Canadian, and she was Canadian and not American for a little while. Can you get dual UK/Canada citizenship?

That'll be funny if we're in the same ceremony! My Thai friend up island was telling me a few weeks a go that she will have her ceremony here in Nanaimo, so maybe I will only have to go up the road for mine!

I applied for PR through a spousal sponsorship after we married, so there was always the chance of an interview as they like to make sure these applications are genuine. We had the option of applying within Canada or outside to England. If we had applied within Canada the interview would have been here, but it would have taken at least twice the time! So we sent the application to London instead where it took about nine months.

I had to create a dossier on our relationship to send and take with me to the interview. Pictures, e-mails, tickets I'd kept from dates we went on, all sorts! It took me weeks to put together and the guy barely flicked through it at the interview! :dohh: Which is guess was a good thing really, the whole ordeal was terrifying but fascinating at the same time, I'd love to have their job of catching out phony marriages!!

I'm pretty sure I can get dual citizenship but honestly haven't really looked at it yet as I'm still not over all the hassle we went through for my residency!

I didn't realize you were American, mrstm1! :) great that you are eligible for citizenship so soon. I miss quite a few things about the UK... enjoy a waitrose food shop for me, please!

Yep! I don't think that there is a waitrose near here. Since being pregnant, I've been craving a fried bologna and American cheese toasted sandwich, but I can't get suitable bologna here. I'm really glad that DH works for a telecommunications company, which means that I can talk to my mom all I want for free.

I love the chocolate here (cadbury eggs year round!), the bread doesn't make me sick, and I really really like having public transport! Where I'm from, we don't even have taxi's, much less buses and trains.

Oh! And I really really miss cheez its, zesta crackers, peanut butter m&m's, and nilla wafers!

Yep! I don't think that there is a waitrose near here. Since being pregnant, I've been craving a fried bologna and American cheese toasted sandwich, but I can't get suitable bologna here. I'm really glad that DH works for a telecommunications company, which means that I can talk to my mom all I want for free.

I love the chocolate here (cadbury eggs year round!), the bread doesn't make me sick, and I really really like having public transport! Where I'm from, we don't even have taxi's, much less buses and trains.

Oh! And I really really miss cheez its, zesta crackers, peanut butter m&m's, and nilla wafers!

Tesco where i live have an american section do you have a tesco near you where they may have them? If not you can get some of that online :thumbup:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294697390&Nao=20

Very pricey though, but worth it if you really miss them x

Tesco where i live have an american section do you have a tesco near you where they may have them? If not you can get some of that online :thumbup:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294697390&Nao=20

Very pricey though, but worth it if you really miss them x

The only tescos here are a metro and a few of the express ones. No really big ones close by. The only thing they have is the peanut butter m&m's in teeny packs. We just finished off the gigantic bag mom brought over in June, and I'm hoping she will be bringing more when she comes over before baby comes. We still have nearly a full box of zestas (from mom), and half a bag of vanilla wafers (also from mom). I miss them, but they aren't entirely essential. There is a sweet shop here in Norwich that has some things, but they are fairly expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->