FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

Melly, hopefully you can go again soon! I'm going to start scheduling appointments weekly, especially since my extended health coverage covers 80% of the cost with a $600 cap per year -- and I still have over $500 of that to use from now till the end of December! I'm also going to do cervical ripening acupuncture from 36 weeks onward. I didn't do it last time, but there's a group here that came to my house when I was in labour and were able to use acupuncture to flip my baby. I was so amazed! Is anyone else doing placenta encapsulation?

Yes, we were also told that being weepy from day 3-7 was normal. Or, more importantly, our husbands were told this. :lol:

I am wearing a nametag on a lanyard around my neck and it's resting on my belly and I'm enjoying watching Sheila kicking it around. :lol: It's bouncing away happily.

Yep I'm pretty sure that is all it was plus i was tired, the midwife told me it was normal and that if I could get someone to take baby for a walk in the pram while I slept that I'd probably feel much better.
I phoned my mil and she rescued me :-D
Xx

Yeah I have next week's appointments lined up already, for next Tuesday. Phew! My insurance doesn't cover it so I booked a package of 8 chiro appointments and 8 therapeutic 60-min massages and it was ~$1000. :blush: Don't tell my husband!

Yeah, it's totally normal to be weepy a few days after birth, but a hormone crash can also come much later. With DD I was totally fine until about 6 weeks and then was depressed for a few days. It's good to recognize the signs of postpartum depression (PPD) and know how they differ from normal baby blues. PPD is much more serious, lasts longer, is more severe, and can get much worse if you don't get help -- so don't hesitate to reach out if you think you might have PPD and it's nothing to be ashamed of!

Yeah, it's totally normal to be weepy a few days after birth, but a hormone crash can also come much later. With DD I was totally fine until about 6 weeks and then was depressed for a few days. It's good to recognize the signs of postpartum depression (PPD) and know how they differ from normal baby blues. PPD is much more serious, lasts longer, is more severe, and can get much worse if you don't get help -- so don't hesitate to reach out if you think you might have PPD and it's nothing to be ashamed of!

Very good point, it can also appear up to 2 years pp. I suffered from some depression after I weaned ds at 12/13 months, it was quite sudden so I think that's why.

Xx

Right, and I bet weaning involves some changes in hormones as well, so it's probably not unexpected that your mood would change.

There's definitely a hormone drop when your baby/toddler weans since there is a drop in prolactin and oxytocin. The faster the weaning, the more sudden the depression is, so it's best to do it gradually if you are weaning yourself. If you are practicing full-term breastfeeding and the baby/toddler is allowed to wean when he/she wants, then the weaning usually happens gradually.

Had my 28 week checkup last night, though I'm actually at 29.5 weeks. We scheduled all my remaining appointments. Wow, that was exciting and scary too! I'm so thankful that all is well with baby. Doc said BP, urine, and weight are all good. I've gained about 20 lbs depending on what time of day I weigh. Still feeling well. I am not taking that for granted and feel really grateful for that.

Baby gave doctor some great kicks and doc was able to confirm that my guess for baby's position is correct. He is in a "7" position. Head is down. Bum is on my right side about even with my navel. Legs/feet on my left side. I knew this because I always feel fast and hard kicks on my left side and a larger smooth lump on my right. I guess I've been giving baby some small bum pats and rubs. :) doctor said it won't be critical for head down until 36 weeks but he will likely sTay head down from here til the end. I hope so!
I'm surprised to read about the home visits from the UK ladies. I've never heard of this. Guess the U.S. doesn't do anything like that?

There's definitely a hormone drop when your baby/toddler weans since there is a drop in prolactin and oxytocin. The faster the weaning, the more sudden the depression is, so it's best to do it gradually if you are weaning yourself. If you are practicing full-term breastfeeding and the baby/toddler is allowed to wean when he/she wants, then the weaning usually happens gradually.

It was definitely sooner and more sudden then I planned, or would ever recommend.
Hopefully I won't be working shifts again so it shouldn't be a problem, planning to keep at least a morning and evening feed til at least two years.
I doubt that I will go for completely self weaning but I certainly won't be repeating last time.
Xx

I don't actually think it's normal for them to come out so early, usually they'll come out a few weeks before your due date so I'm a bit worried I've done something wrong! I really hope she doesn't want to snoop around and make loads of judgmental comments, I've not long moved into this house so the baby room isn't at all organised and all of her things are still in boxes, but what they can expect seeing me this early on.
Raspberry, I hope mine isn't like that because I live in my pajamas, I always have! I'll only get dressed if I go out and as soon as I'm home I'm back in them!

I don't actually think it's normal for them to come out so early, usually they'll come out a few weeks before your due date so I'm a bit worried I've done something wrong! I really hope she doesn't want to snoop around and make loads of judgmental comments, I've not long moved into this house so the baby room isn't at all organised and all of her things are still in boxes, but what they can expect seeing me this early on.
Raspberry, I hope mine isn't like that because I live in my pajamas, I always have! I'll only get dressed if I go out and as soon as I'm home I'm back in them!

I hope mine was just a one off! I tend to do a lot in my "lounge wear" :haha: while I get my jobs done etc and shower after I'm done. It would be silly to get hot and dirty after I'm clean and dressed. I also have a limited wardrobe so I can't be wasting good clothes inside the house.
Xx

My sister in law in Australia gets to go to a local clinic for lots of help with a newborn. I am kind of sad we don't get that in America. My experience on the NHS was very hit and miss... Shame that some of you UK ladies have had bad experiences with home visits-something that could and should be very positive. Seemingly, you get zilch from the state here. Such a shame- particularly for low income families.

Speaking of govt help: got to love th Nordic countries! Have you seen the Finnish baby box before? https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22751415
I wonder how much it would cost to institute something like that here...? Such a wonderful thing for every baby to get.

My practice here in the US does home visits, but only because we are discharged within 12 hours of delivery. And well, home "visit" -- singular. :rofl: She comes, does a routine check-up of mom and baby and ensures that all is going well. She'll answer BF questions, other such things, pretty basic. It's only because if you're in a hospital for 1-3 days here, they'd do it anyway, so they do the follow-up in home so the mama can enjoy being with baby rather than hauling the kit-and-kaboodle into the office. It's a relief for me, especially being due in winter. :)

My hospital didn't do anything like that, of course.

I have heard that it's difficult to skip vaccines in the US, depending on location/practice. I know moms around here who spent months searching until they'd find a pediatrician who'd be willing to follow a delayed vac schedule or skip them altogether. They often get a load of crap about it, too, from what I understand.

Then again, I've heard of many peds who also give crap about extended RF. Ours was fully supportive of A still being RF at 2 and however-many-months (I'm exhausted, don't ask me to count LOL) so long as our car seat supported such.

Titers done. Relief! It was chaos though, the midwife office was having technology issues and I got there, no work order, they tried faxing it and it wasn't working. It took an HOUR to get everything sorted. Thankfully my daughter was an angel during the ordeal, and the two ladies working in the lab were so patient. They were laughing because A was so intrigued by everything and gave a whole play-by-play of them taking my blood (as per usual). I'm just glad it's over with; bruises on both arms and my butt this week. :rofl: I'd get another tattoo over an injection or blood draw any day.

Enough rambling from me. Just been a crazy day! LOL.

I understand how annoyinh hv can be butbrecently since I have geen having problems they have been great helping to arrange mothers help and other stuff yo get me through a tough time, but I havent had a judgemental one so guess I could just be lucky

I understand how annoyinh hv can be butbrecently since I have geen having problems they have been great helping to arrange mothers help and other stuff yo get me through a tough time, but I havent had a judgemental one so guess I could just be lucky

I'm glad you find them supportive, I'm probably a bit obnoxious that's all :D

hope that things are improving for you xx

Raspberry I had a voicemail off the health visitor yesterday asking if I would like her to come round to talk to me about services in the area etc. I didnt have this first time round. I am kind of paranoid as I have a feeling it is more due to the fact that I had PDP with my Ds and they are making sure am I not on a slippery slope mood wise again. Guess I shouldnt be so paranoid but I cant help it.

I don't think the HV coming out is anything to worry about, maybe it's a new thing they do now and didn't do at the time of your first :shrug: could be relationship building before little ones come. Midwife still comes out for the first 10 days on days 1, 3 5 and 10.... more if you need it apparently. I'm reassured by the visits as a FTM will be good to have someone checking i am doing ok and not losing the plot lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->