FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

Thank you all so much. I am getting myself so worked up about it, I really want to give her the best. Even if I only manage to do it for a week or two then at least I know I've tried, but I am determined to do it for as long as possible.
This might be a bit of a silly question, but how do you know when baby is done/full? Do they just unlatch and become disinterested?

Thank you all so much. I am getting myself so worked up about it, I really want to give her the best. Even if I only manage to do it for a week or two then at least I know I've tried, but I am determined to do it for as long as possible.
This might be a bit of a silly question, but how do you know when baby is done/full? Do they just unlatch and become disinterested?

Yep that's pretty much it! LOL or they will just fall asleep!:haha:

Pens, I had the hardest time getting started bf. Because of the horrid birth we had, ds in nicu separated from me while I was in critical care, the drugs I was on to prevent seizures, ds being formula fed in nicu, me being extremely anemic, etc etc...it was a tough start. I actually started out by pumping as I was separated from.ds. It took 5 days just to get the smallest amount of milk. It fully came in after a week.

I second that it's about determination. I had to go back to hospital and have surgery 3 weeks postpartum and even tho ds went back on bottles, we persevered again and he breastfed until 9 months old (when I had to stop due to threatened miscarriage with this babe). I do think it's easier to breastfeed and it honestly doesn't make them better or worse sleepers in my opinion. My ds slept through from 7pm-7am from 6 months old. Prior to that he woke once to feed from 4 months.

Believe you can do it and you will!!!

Yep that's pretty much it! LOL or they will just fall asleep!:haha:

Right! And as they get older, my DH always says they look drunk. He loves looking at their little drunk faces. Lol.

I totally agree with MiniBump and Raspberry about breastfeeding. It may be tough in the beginning with frequent feeds, but it's all good for establishing your supply. Even if baby wants to nurse every 20 minutes for hours at a time, the frequent sucking triggers your body to make more milk when your milk comes in. Being engorged in the beginning can be painful, and your nipples might be sore at first, but it gets better quickly -- and from there it's easy!

There's really no need to monitor breastfeeding output -- just watch your baby and feed on demand. :) Is he/she growing, peeing, and pooing at good rates? Then all is well! As previously said, formula top-ups mean that your body will produce less milk in the future due to reduced sucking, so that's something to be aware of. The best thing to do if you're worried about supply is to just bunker down and nurse like crazy. I agree with the others -- pumping is a LOT of work, so much more so than just whipping out a boob and feeding when your baby wants it. I'm going to have to do it this time since I might need to be away for many hours if I get a midwifery interview, but I'm not looking forward to it. Also, you get less pumping than you do nursing, so your pumping output doesn't really represent your actual supply.

I just ordered and screened a bunch of breastfeeding books for the breastfeeding group I'm running, and so far here are my recommendations for good starter books:
-Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (as already stated)
-Breastfeeding Made Simple
-The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers (Jack Newman is awesome and this book is like an encyclopedia and covers everything!)

If you have any concerns, I'd first turn to kellymom Jack Newman (he writes some good FB posts), and a good lactation consultant is indispensable in the beginning. :)

I'm planning on breastfeeding these two little piranhas, if My supply can match their demand! I'd rather not top-up if I can get away with it. Hopefully I can get the hang of tandem breastfeeding so I'm not feeding someone 24/7!

Pens, I had the hardest time getting started bf. Because of the horrid birth we had, ds in nicu separated from me while I was in critical care, the drugs I was on to prevent seizures, ds being formula fed in nicu, me being extremely anemic, etc etc...it was a tough start. I actually started out by pumping as I was separated from.ds. It took 5 days just to get the smallest amount of milk. It fully came in after a week.

I second that it's about determination. I had to go back to hospital and have surgery 3 weeks postpartum and even tho ds went back on bottles, we persevered again and he breastfed until 9 months old (when I had to stop due to threatened miscarriage with this babe). I do think it's easier to breastfeed and it honestly doesn't make them better or worse sleepers in my opinion. My ds slept through from 7pm-7am from 6 months old. Prior to that he woke once to feed from 4 months.

Believe you can do it and you will!!!

ttc, your story is very inspiring! I am sorry to hear your first birth was traumatic, but how wonderful for you that you persevered. I hope I can push through the hard times and EBF my baby too. So many friends have told me how hard it is and they gave up. I'm determined to make I work. Feronia, I think I will pick up a copy of one of those books you mentioned Thanks!

Another post from me: Can I rant for a second?

By far the hardest thing I think I've dealt with from this pregnancy is not being able to sleep on my back. I am so tired because I wake up every two/three hours or so. Side sleeping is not comfortable for me at all. I got the Snoogle pregnancy pillow and that helps a bit, but I just cannot stay asleep. I was up at least 4 times last night. I have a stuffy nose and breathing with my mouth open makes my throat sore. I know I should always try to sleep on my left side but I just can't stay there for long. Besides, baby kicks and protests every time I'm on my left anyway. Ugh, I'm so tired.

End of rant.

Melly, your supply will certainly be able to match their demand provided you keep interruptions to the breastfeeding relationship to a minimum in the first few weeks (lots of skin to skin, feed, feed, feed at the breast, no pacifiers and no formula top-ups (expressed breastmilk from a cup/spoon is best if you need it). Your body will produce whatever your baby/ies ask(s) it to, in some cases more but very, very rarely less (unless there's a medical problem). The biggest problem mums have with breastfeeding is an inbuilt need to control things with numbers, weights and measures. There's no way to know how much baby is getting but there really is no need to know if baby is gaining weight, having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and is alert and well!

Milk drunk faces are the cutest, especially with a little dribble of milk down the side! You'll know when they've had enough but, if you're in any doubt, offer more! They will only take what they need.

Another huge issue I'm coming across more and more lately (I'm a BF peer supporter) is mums thinking their babies are struggling and in pain with wind so start giving colief, infacol and/or gripe water. Breastfed babies don't really get wind unless the latch is poor but they do wriggle, squirm, strain, grunt, go red in the face and fart a lot. This is all part of them finding out how to control their own bowels and getting used to the new sensations in their gut and, unless they're crying in pain (you'll get to know the difference), it's all normal. Also, an element of reflux (spitting up) is normal until the baby's gut closes between 4 and 6 months so, again, provided it's not constant projectile vomiting and baby seems well, it's more than likely normal. There's no harm in having baby checked if you're worried but lots of things that seem concerning are actually very normal! I'm seeing lots of BF babies on infant gaviscon and it's a bit worrying that GPs are so quick to prescribe it!

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you Pens? (assuming it's Hampshire, England!)

Great BF advice from everyone!

TTC - hope your little one was just busying himself and all is well. So exciting you will be meeting him soon.

Shells and Melly - Yay for a date Shells. So exciting. Sorry they didn't turn. I breastfed my twins for 15 months, when they gradually weaned themselves. I bought a pump and never used it as I work at home, and as Feronia said it was just easier to feed them. I couldn't tandem nurse as it caused me anxiety, but many women do. So we just took turns between babies and breasts each feeding, and who ate first each time. My little boy was much more demanding and complained the whole time when his sister ate first while she was easygoing and would sit and smile when waiting her turn.

Imp - Hope you can find a way to rest. Not much longer before you can sleep on your back again.

I plan to exclusively breastfeed for as long as possible... but i disagree with topping up with formula being a bad idea if you reach a certain point a few months in. At first, I think EBF is best as everyone says both for your body and baby to get the idea of what is going on. But two families I nannied for and now my SIL too have opted for breastmilk for the most part and a bottle of formula once per day. Doing that didnt/hasn't caused any issues for those kids- no confusion, no bad behaviors, no digestive issues etc. For one mum it was about her not producing enough milk for two chubby twins (it does happen!), And for the others, I think it was likely about mum getting a rest... which is ok too if that is what you need!

My point is: I think EBF is a great goal, but there is a lot of pressure to do with breastfeeding, and it isn't some kind of failure if you carve out a slightly different path that works for you!

I hear you on the sleeping, imphope. You don't have long to go- and I don't think you should feel bad if you wake up on your back.... it happens. Just a few more weeks and then even tummy sleeping is back on the table!

I EBF my son for about a month. It definitely got easier after the first two weeks or so. I also agree with the other ladies on here: pumping is SO much harder than just feeding the baby.

I would feed my son for a half hour or so (he liked to take his time), and he would be full. But I would pump for a full hour and not even have enough to give him a full 4oz bottle! So frustrating!

Keep in mind, too, ALL babies tend to lose weight after they are first born--formula and breast fed alike. They will quickly gain it back, though. No worries. And the myth that formula babies sleep better and longer is just that: a MYTH. My little boy wanted fed every hour to hour and a half regardless of WHAT I was feeding him with. Even adding a little rice cereal made no difference.

I didn't breast feed long--only the month or so, because I was having a lot of issues. I had TERRIBLE postpartum depression. I hated how my breasts felt, I hated how I would leak all the time, I hated being tied to the baby all the time, I hated that I couldn't get any help because I was the only person that could feed the baby, I hated that I didn't have any support for breast feeding and I constantly had to hide... I think the only thing I liked about breast feeding was the closeness I had with my son as he was eating. Looking down into that little contented face during our feeds. And the convenience. Not having to wash bottles or carry additional stuff around when you went out places. Just pull out a boob and the meal is there. ;)

Additionally, here in the states, we get a max of 12 weeks off from work for maternity leave (unpaid, no less). I had to go back to work and my work schedule simply didn't allow for breastfeeding (no place to pump--did I mention how hard and unrewarding pumping is?).

With this baby I will probably have to go back to work after only 8 weeks off, and my schedule is even WORSE this time. So, I'm not even going to bother trying to breast feed her at all. :(

By far the hardest thing I think I've dealt with from this pregnancy is not being able to sleep on my back. I am so tired because I wake up every two/three hours or so. Side sleeping is not comfortable for me at all. I got the Snoogle pregnancy pillow and that helps a bit, but I just cannot stay asleep. I was up at least 4 times last night. I have a stuffy nose and breathing with my mouth open makes my throat sore. I know I should always try to sleep on my left side but I just can't stay there for long. Besides, baby kicks and protests every time I'm on my left anyway. Ugh, I'm so tired.

End of rant.

I feel for you! :hugs: I can't really sleep on my left side, either. Every time I do I get breathless and weird feeling; I think baby sticks her feet up into my lungs or something when I'm on that side. I have to sleep mostly on my right, which is super uncomfortable.

Some nights I get an extra pillow or two out and stuff them under my back on one side... enough so that it keeps me rolled SLIGHTLY to the side, but I'm still mostly laying on my back. That keeps the baby to one side, but makes me feel like I'm back-sleeping. Some nights it helps and other nights it doesn't.

I plan to exclusively breastfeed for as long as possible... but i disagree with topping up with formula being a bad idea if you reach a certain point a few months in. At first, I think EBF is best as everyone says both for your body and baby to get the idea of what is going on. But two families I nannied for and now my SIL too have opted for breastmilk for the most part and a bottle of formula once per day. Doing that didnt/hasn't caused any issues for those kids- no confusion, no bad behaviors, no digestive issues etc. For one mum it was about her not producing enough milk for two chubby twins (it does happen!), And for the others, I think it was likely about mum getting a rest... which is ok too if that is what you need!

My point is: I think EBF is a great goal, but there is a lot of pressure to do with breastfeeding, and it isn't some kind of failure if you carve out a slightly different path that works for you!

Absolutely, SurpriseBub, every mum must do what works best for her and her child/children. I only advocate no formula top-ups in the first few weeks whilst mum is establishing a supply. After about 4-6 weeks, it's easier to add bottles here and there, if necessary, without affecting overall supply. My response was to ladies who want to succeed at breastfeeding and, unfortunately, unnecessary early top-ups following bad advice are one of the biggest reasons why breastfeeding doesn't work out (in the UK anyway, I would guess the lack of maternity leave elsewhere as mentioned has a huge impact).

Using formula is a very personal choice and I have chosen (and been lucky to be able) to avoid it completely so far. I would never choose to use formula for convenience or a break, I would only use it if it were medically necessary for mine or the baby's health but that's simply my individual preference because I've done my research, I know what's in it (and what's not) and I don't want it in my baby's delicate, undeveloped system! Each to their own though :thumbup:

Argh- today's the day I wash and sort baby clothes...
A) I have a lot more stuff than I realised!
B) it looks like the colours are running a lot on dark load #1... Eep. Everything is very well sorted now, so nothing should have been ruined, but not sure what that means for regular washes once baby gets here!

Also, as an aside- I bought some newborn pj suits last week, and got a mix of 1 x pink, 2 x green, 1 x white. The guy who rang them up acted shocked that I would get GREEN for a GIRL. What?! I am going to get sick of that thinking pretty quickly!

End of rant.

Haha I agree....I used to like sleeping on my tummy. I miss it! I also miss my bladder and getting to have a nice long relieving pee vs these 125ml at a time squirts haha!

Argh- today's the day I wash and sort baby clothes...
A) I have a lot more stuff than I realised!
B) it looks like the colours are running a lot on dark load #1... Eep. Everything is very well sorted now, so nothing should have been ruined, but not sure what that means for regular washes once baby gets here!

Also, as an aside- I bought some newborn pj suits last week, and got a mix of 1 x pink, 2 x green, 1 x white. The guy who rang them up acted shocked that I would get GREEN for a GIRL. What?! I am going to get sick of that thinking pretty quickly!

I've bought mostly greens, yellows and blues for our baby. I think they'd still look cute if baby happen to be a girl...

Loved reading the last few pages about breastfeeding! Thanks for all your advice ladies :hugs:

imphope - Totally feel for you with the sleeping. I want to sleep on my back soo bad! I'm also getting the stuffy nose at night and hate having to breathe through my mouth. I got up around 3AM last night for the bathroom and couldn't get back to sleep. I ended up laying on the couch so I wouldn't disturb DH anymore. Ugh!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->