FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

Sleeping - ugh - I get hip pain now at night. So I switched sides a few times a night trying to make it better for awhile. I like sleeping on my right, since when I sleep on my left, after awhile it feels too bad.
OH usually snores, so it is hard to get back to sleep after getting up to use the washroom a couple times / night. OH was complaining that he was waking up alot with my moving (I also prod him if he is snoring so it stops for a bit)- so we setup the couch last night for me - so I'd go there after the first time I got up...I actually got a tad more sleep because of having an easier time without the snoring (unfortunately still the hip pain), but it didn't work for OH - he said he got even less sleep last night being alone in bed.

Also, does anyone have a nipple cream that works well for breastfeeding that is NOT lanolin based? (I'm slightly allergic to it, and will get an itchy rash if it touches my skin)

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I am considering not even bothering getting a pump at all now, I thought it might make things easier but it seems like it would just end up stressing me out more with all of the hassle and not pumping enough out.
A friend of mine tried really hard to BF her little boy but she had some really unhelpful people around her after she gave birth and no one helped her out when he wouldn't latch properly. They actually kept her in hospital for 3 days because she couldn't do it and not once did someone try and show her what to do, they just left her to try and figure it out for herself and as a FTM she really struggled. She ended up giving up and got herself depressed over it. I'm really lucky to be going to a different hospital and have heard a lot of good things about them helping you with breastfeeding so I'm hoping I won't have that problem!

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you Pens? (assuming it's Hampshire, England!)

and I'm from Portsmouth!

xx

Also, does anyone have a nipple cream that works well for breastfeeding that is NOT lanolin based? (I'm slightly allergic to it, and will get an itchy rash if it touches my skin)

Oh gosh, this never even occurred to me. I'm so glad I'm spying on this thread. Do most people with wool allergies have trouble with lanolin? I'd better test some out on a less sensitive area before I start slathering my nipples with it!

I like using coconut oil. But beware if you use it right before you pump it can clog the hoses etc and ruin your electric pump.

I like using coconut oil. But beware if you use it right before you pump it can clog the hoses etc and ruin your electric pump.

Ha! Is there anything coconut oil doesn't cure? It'll be like a little pina colada every time he feeds! Thanks, we have tons of coconut oil :)

I've never actually used any nipple cream (the whole idea of breastfeeding is that the nipple isn't really involved - if you're getting sore nipples beyond a little tenderness for the first few days, you need to check that your baby is latched on well) so it's not something you need to worry hugely about! You can hand express a bit of breastmilk onto the nipples after a feed if you need to as breastmilk has antibacterial properties and will promote healing. (NB. Don't do this if you develop thrush as the milk will feed it!)

Pens, many babies will actually latch on by themselves if you lay back with them on your chest and leave them to it! If you need help on the ward, be sure to demand it or, if you've had enough, just tell them you're fine, go home and get the midwife in. We have a local infant feeding team too in our area who will come out and help you at home so it's worth finding out what's in your area (this might help - go along to your nearest group now if you can https://www.porthosp.nhs.uk/departments/Maternity/BF%20Groups%20Portsmouth%20Jan%202015.pdf) Also, you can hire breast pumps from your local Children's Centre for about £5 a week so you could try before you buy.

For nipple cream, I'm vegan, so I can't use anything lanolin based. I love Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter though! It was great on my nipples last time and I've been using it as lip balm in the mean time. :) Coconut oil works too! Like MiniBump says, it's really only useful in the beginning. I probably won't need it this time since DD is still nursing.

I've heard really mixed things about back sleeping but I haven't researched it thoroughly enough yet. I sometimes just do it to get better sleep. I've heard that you'll know if sleeping on your back is bad for you since you'll feel tingly, dizzy, and strange and want to shift positions, but I still try to sleep on my sides when I can...
Off to research it!

Edit: Found this article: https://www.babble.com/pregnancy/sleeping-on-your-back-when-pregnant-is-it-really-so-bad/
This dr. says there's no evidence that it's unsafe, but I'd like to find what evidence actually exists on the topic.

I feel relatively lucky in that I am a side sleeper normally, so in that sense I haven't had to adjust. It's just that sleeping in any position is incredibly painful at the moment!!

Sleeping - ugh - I get hip pain now at night. So I switched sides a few times a night trying to make it better for awhile. I like sleeping on my right, since when I sleep on my left, after awhile it feels too bad.
OH usually snores, so it is hard to get back to sleep after getting up to use the washroom a couple times / night. OH was complaining that he was waking up alot with my moving (I also prod him if he is snoring so it stops for a bit)- so we setup the couch last night for me - so I'd go there after the first time I got up...I actually got a tad more sleep because of having an easier time without the snoring (unfortunately still the hip pain), but it didn't work for OH - he said he got even less sleep last night being alone in bed.

Oh yes! How could I forget the hip pain! I've had it on my right hip and I usually prefer sleeping on my left side. Baby's back is usually on my left and kicks me on the right. So I it feel uncomfortable feeling the kicks under me if I'm on my right....
Also, anyone get extreme urges for food? Like one minute I'm fine and the next I'm like having a major crash in blood sugar and scooping whatever I can find in my mouth to get rid of the shakes..

The problem I had BFing was that I was in a lot of pain as soon as my milk would drop. In the night is wake up soaked and in pain. If I didn't get relief from feeding is have to pump. What if I wake up and he isn't awake? Do I just pump or wake the baby? It was a very stressful experience for me. I had enough supply but I don't have the largest breast size so I think my boobs were exploded when my milk dropped. I made plenty of milk. I ended up quitting after 8 weeks. I want to try to push through the tough stage this time. Any advice I can get is helpful.

Not sure what you mean by your milk dropping jm but if you get engorged, you should express (preferably by hand if you can) just enough to ease the discomfort (you can offer baby the breast if you wish, they'll either feed or not even in their sleep). If you pump aggressively and/or for too long you're telling your body you need that milk so you'll keep producing it and potentially end up with an oversupply which can be hard to put right and leads to plugged ducts and mastitis. Conversely, this is why feeds shouldn't be skipped, especially during the night, because your body then gets the message that you want less milk and will reduce your supply accordingly. Also, if you express so that someone else can feed you should still express at the same time as the feed to maintain your supply (thus not really saving yourself any work!). Again, this is only for the first few weeks!

JM - if you pump in that situation you are going to tell your body that you need to keep making more and more, therefore increasing your supply more than the baby drinks which will only create over supply and engorgement. What I have done/would do is have a shower - not too hot, and let the milk flow out a little naturally or hand express a small amount for comfort. If you do that, then your supply should settle.
I always suffered with over supply as DS had reflux that wasn't sorted til he was maybe 10-12 weeks, so after the reflux was gone he was drinking a lot less as he wasn't throwing up every feed or suckling to relieve his throat. All of the extra nursing early on led to a huge oversupply right up until weaning, having said that though my milk never went away even by 12 months after I stopped, so perhaps I am just a milk machine.

With sleeping on your back, or even laying on your back for more than a few minutes, the problem is the heavy uterus can compress the inferior Vena Cava.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferior_vena_cava_syndrome

xx

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to def try things differently this time. :) I want to enjoy it 100%. I life the bond of it. I feel more comfortable this time knowing what to expect.

Yeah, as others have said, just hand express a little bit if you're feeling too engorged. I have a toddler to do that this time! :) You definitely don't need to pump. Your supply will eventually settle out on its own based on how much milk is emptied from your breasts on a continuous basis.

It looks like the only studies on Inferior vena cava syndrome in pregnancy are from the 50s and 60s? Hmm...

One thing I had heard was in the first few weeks, to pump after feeding to increase supply - is that not recommended?

One thing I had heard was in the first few weeks, to pump after feeding to increase supply - is that not recommended?

If you're feeding on demand without formula top-ups it shouldn't be necessary as the babies will tell your body exactly what they need. Also, it can cause oversupply as mentioned previously. Pumping after feeding is a great way to boost your supply if you need to but chances are, if you follow your babies' leads, you won't! :thumbup:

Feronia I definitely feel awful if I lay on my back so I don't do it and feel the vena cava reason could explain it. I daresay anyone who feels fine sleeping then they're fine to carry on.

Melly I would just let baby/babies nurse til they're full rather than pumping after feeds unless you need to build a huge freezer stash otherwise I think you risk oversupply.
Xx

I just ordered and screened a bunch of breastfeeding books for the breastfeeding group I'm running, and so far here are my recommendations for good starter books:
-Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (as already stated)
-Breastfeeding Made Simple
-The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers (Jack Newman is awesome and this book is like an encyclopedia and covers everything!)

I have had all of these and a couple of other books (ie. Ina Mays Guide to Breastfeeding) in my Amazon cart for quite a while! I like to have a book to help guide me through things like this- but I know deep down that more than one will likely be a waste of money!

So, just wondering- anyone very much recommend a single book as a good all round BF reference? (Would your suggestion be The Ultimate Book of Answers then, Feronia? Or would the Womanly Art be a better standalone?)

I just ordered and screened a bunch of breastfeeding books for the breastfeeding group I'm running, and so far here are my recommendations for good starter books:
-Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (as already stated)
-Breastfeeding Made Simple
-The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers (Jack Newman is awesome and this book is like an encyclopedia and covers everything!)

I have had all of these and a couple of other books (ie. Ina Mays Guide to Breastfeeding) in my Amazon cart for quite a while! I like to have a book to help guide me through things like this- but I know deep down that more than one will likely be a waste of money!

So, just wondering- anyone very much recommend a single book as a good all round BF reference? (Would your suggestion be The Ultimate Book of Answers then, Feronia? Or would the Womanly Art be a better standalone?)

My local thrift stores have a lot of these kinds of books. It's kind of a crap shoot whether you'll find exactly the one you're looking for, but it's worth looking if you have one nearby.

Argh- today's the day I wash and sort baby clothes...
A) I have a lot more stuff than I realised!
B) it looks like the colours are running a lot on dark load #1... Eep. Everything is very well sorted now, so nothing should have been ruined, but not sure what that means for regular washes once baby gets here!

Also, as an aside- I bought some newborn pj suits last week, and got a mix of 1 x pink, 2 x green, 1 x white. The guy who rang them up acted shocked that I would get GREEN for a GIRL. What?! I am going to get sick of that thinking pretty quickly!

I've bought mostly greens, yellows and blues for our baby. I think they'd still look cute if baby happen to be a girl...

I agree! I have a decent amount of blue and lots of green for our daughter. I have some pink stuff too, just not tonnes and tonnes :)

I had also bought yellow and grey fabrics to make a blanket out of for her :) that was before we knew the gender... But I would have gone something neutral for that even if I had known.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->