February Valentines 2012 - We have our first Valentines!

Do the Loestrin BC pills have too much hormones for you to use? I know that they have lower hormone levels than other BC pills.

I heard yesterday on the news there was a recall on some BCP... i think maybe Loestrin was one of them because of a mixup in the amount of hormones they had in them and they were not going to be effective enough! Yikes... could be some unplanned babies out there in like 9 months! Scary!

I saw that too! thats crazy!!!

Oh Guppy, I am so sorry that it is so difficult!! BF is very important, and I feel lucky that I am able to... I know so many people who wanted to but couldn't. :hugs:

I always wanted to know how to check dilation and effacement. But I think DH would look at me strange if I did it :haha:.

:haha: yeah, i dont do it often, but usually lock myself in the bathroom :blush: would be weird if DH was a fly on the wall :haha:

Here is an article for how to check. https://www.joyousbirth.info/articles/cervixlearning.html

38 week bump update! :)

Attachments

• belly38_feb3.jpg
    belly38_feb3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 6
Aw Jokerette you look fabulous!! xo

I have become inspired to read up about birth control now that you ladies are discussing it. I know it's what my doctor wants to talk about at my 6-week ( well, one of the things ) and I have NO idea what to do. I hate condoms. I used to use the BCP but yeah. Idk. Haha. Gotta see what she thinks I guess. lol

I tried to check myself the other day.. but couldnt find anything lol.. must still be up high..

So what exactly is a sweep?? Dr offered me one at next appt and just curious if you ladies have had one or know anything about them..

I found planned parenthood website an invaulable resource. Its obviously not trying to sell anything, so its the least bias info i have found. It has all the types of birth control and all the info for each. It also has a little quiz you can take to suggest what would be a good option for you.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control-4211.htm

So what exactly is a sweep?? Dr offered me one at next appt and just curious if you ladies have had one or know anything about them..

A sweep is like a vigerous internal, except the provider takes their finger and kind of "irritates" the cervix. (its NOT the same as breaking the waters, it just deals with the mucous plug). The idea is that it *could* release hormones to kick start labor. U do have to be a tiny bit dilated though...i didn't think it hurt but some do.
I had two with DS. One at 40 weeks and another at 41 weeks. I didn't have him until 41+5, so i would say it didn't work for me...i think none of it works unless you were going to go into labor anyways...but with that said, if you are facing induction pressure and that sort it is worth a try!

great article Guppy! I think i will wait and have the doctor check me... i sort of understand how to do it, but im afraid i would stress myself out more because i wouldnt really be sure if i was accurately measuring. It seems like it would be tough to measure effacement since you arent actually reaching into the os right?

I was a little disappointed when I didnt have an internal check yesterday, i havent had one at all near the end... so i have no idea if i am dilated or not, and i am quite curious. but i guess it doesnt really matter if i know or not since many women can walk around dilated and effaced for weeks!

i have learned so much from BnB!

yeah checking yourself isn't something most women feel comfortable with, and even if they did it can be quite the challenge! I wouldn't be doing it this time if the MWs did checks...i know they mean nothing in the grand scheme of thigns, but i was curious since i was cramping....i like that they dont do checks...but then part of me wishes they did haha

Good article Guppy :thumbup: but I think I will wait until I get checked at the hospital...not sure I am supple enough :blush:

It's making me giggle that we're all chatting about BC before most of the bubs have arrived. :haha: I know it's a necessary evil but I'm gonna bury my head in the sand for a few more weeks.

My MW told me that the hospital I'm using offers a sweep on your due date and then another 7 days later. I was really surprised as I thought they'd at least give it a few days. Is that common practice? Does anyone have an opinion on it? I'm not adverse to having one but it seems a bit premature to do one on the due date since dates can vary so much :wacko:

Welcome home mumanddad! Glad your LO is doing good now :)

My MW told me that the hospital I'm using offers a sweep on your due date and then another 7 days later. I was really surprised as I thought they'd at least give it a few days. Is that common practice? Does anyone have an opinion on it? I'm not adverse to having one but it seems a bit premature to do one on the due date since dates can vary so much :wacko:

My doc said they could do one anytime after 39 weeks

Good article Guppy :thumbup: but I think I will wait until I get checked at the hospital...not sure I am supple enough :blush:

It's making me giggle that we're all chatting about BC before most of the bubs have arrived. :haha: I know it's a necessary evil but I'm gonna bury my head in the sand for a few more weeks.

Welcome home mumanddad! Glad your LO is doing good now :)

Thank you, i got a sweep at 36 weeks 2 days there.

Hopefully they will be less busy when your lo arrives xx

Congrats to all the new Mamas :)

Not sure if I mentioned Peawich's name or not... Took us a bit to decide, but we settled on Aubrey Elyse :) Guess I need to update my ticker :lol:

Will add pics shortly too... Taken most of the pics on my phone so far, so no great quality ones! :p

Had my appointment! 2cm, and she did a sweep. Right as she stuck her hand up in I got a REALLY STRONG contraction, and I have to sit and wait it out with her hand up there because she didn't want to break my water! Ouchie!! Mallory's head is sitting right on my cervix, but she said my cervix isn't quit as low as they would like it to be yet. (Is this the effacement part of things?) However, she said she wouldn't be surprised if I had her this weekend. Yay!!

My next appointment is Wednesday. If I make it there, I'll have an ultrasound to check fluids, and a stress test (or is it nonstress test lol) to make sure baby girl is happy. I'll be 40+3, and they said I won't leave that appointment without some kind of plan in place (they mentioned the possibility of sending me straight over to the hospital for induction at that point). - My blood pressure was a little high when I went in today, and has been perfect the whole time, so they are just watching for pre-eclampsia.

I have been having contractions pretty regularly since leaving my appointment. Much stronger than anything I have had in the past two weeks. Here's hoping my sweep did the trick!!

Here she is! Squishy face and all... Having problems waking her up for feeds... Day or night! She will wake for them, but then falls asleep after a very very short period of time!!

Attachments

• 419016_10150638283099524_693054523_11324841_989215571_n.jpg
    419016_10150638283099524_693054523_11324841_989215571_n.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe