feel so guilty

soon to be 3

Reaction score
hi all i was just wondering if any one can help I'm 18weeks pregnant and i have to take 30/500 co-codamol i try not to take to many in a day but i have very bad sciatic that is so pain full i have to use crutches to walk if i don't take them I'm not Abel to move and i have two daughters to look after my partner is very supportive but works nights so cant help all the time i just feel so guilty for taking them as i didnt have to with my other pregnancies so i really don't know what to expect i would love to hear from any one who has some advice or who has had to take them in pregnancy if you could let me know if all was OK i cant rest until i get some answers.i know every one on here is all very nice but i did post on another site and got some very nasty replays witch really upset me so please no negative replay's i already feel bad enough.thank you so much for your time xxx

I was on them very regular with my last pregnancy. I was told to take them as I had a reaccuring abcessess in my mouth and spent the best part of 6 months in constant pain. Only things that did let me have a few hours kip was cocodomal.

All the midwife said to me was not to take them near labour time.
Hope your pain free soon xxx

I'm taking them because of pain from endometriosis scar tissue. They have been proven safe in pregnancy as codeine has been used for a very long time. It's better for baby to have you moving about and not curled up in pain. Ignore the negative comments as they obviously don't know how debilitating constant pain is. Your doctor would not give you them if they were not suitable. You may be advised to reduce the dose towards your due date due to the risk of withdrawal in baby.
As for reassurance, my friend had terrible SPD and had to take co-codamol in order to get any sleep (2 per night) and her daughter is absolutely fine. She's now 3 and is really bright, physically she's in the top percentile, etc etc.

Babes i just made a post about this the other day =].

I was on the exact same meds as you, 'solpdol' was its brand name though, but my doctor was a bit of a prat, although i myself decided to quit taking them (it was very hard), He told me that there is a chance of baby being born addicted to them....which is distressing for mother and baby of course...Now i dont know to what extent the baby suffers, (i hate using this word)..or whether it'll just be them crying more than usual, i cannot see a baby having a seizure through withdrawal of codeine, its simply not a harsh drug nor illegal, and you say you take it moderately, i think this only applies to people taking the very max dosage or even more through their own personal addiction to it (which happens 100% of the time to people prescribed this medication, it is addictive and your tolerance of it lowers the longer you take it.)

PLEASE do NOT feel bad for a second, i have chronic sciatica and bad hips, and i know how damn well hard it is to deal with it day in and out with a child or 2 to look after, WHILE being pregnant! its upto you whether you continue to take them, but do know that you are NOT the only one to continue needing this medication throughout your pregnancy, as long as your midwife and doctor know you're taking it and are pregnant, and they are aware your baby MAY become dependant on it, then don't panic, because sometimes for the mothers sake this drug is given as the pros outweigh the cons.

inbox me if u want to chat, i know ALOT about this subject due to person experience and close relatives also going through it. it's so much more common than anyone thinks.

I am really sorry that you are having to go through this but you are not alone! I am on co-codamol at the moment for back pain and sciatica and I also feel really guity about taking them. I think back pain is really hard for anyone else to understand as that can't SEE that anything is wrong with you - it is not like you have a broken leg - so it is very frustrating for people not in the same situation to be cruel to you when you are just trying to get through the day as best you can.

Please try not to worry too much as you need to live not just survive xxx

I'm on the same for pelvic arthropathy, I was throughout my first pregnancy too and worried constantly that I was harming baby. She's fine :thumbup: The way my GP put it to me was that it was better for me to take the pain relief than to have my blood pressure rise due to the pain. I didn't take them after 34 weeks as they make baby drowsy and can cause breathing problems too close to the birth.
:hugs: hope you get some relief from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->