Femara vs. Clomid

KelliGal

Trying for #2 with Infertility
Reaction score
Which one do you prefer, and why?

I am seeing my OB June 14th to be put on something, I don't have insurance, which is fine I am ok paying for it but I don't want to be paying for both if one works better than the other.

Give me some insight>??

I didn't want to read and run.

I was on Femara for a few months, and it didn't have any kind of adverse side effects for me. I think Clomid has the chance of thinning your lining? Regardless, I ovulated every time on Femara, but didn't get pregnant, so we moved onto IVF (which I'm in the midst of right now).

Clomid has more side effects and will thin out your lining. You may want to check on price. Clomid is pretty cheap, but from what I hear Femara is pretty pricey if not covered by insurance.

Whichever you choose, make sure you are doing monitored cycles!

Clomid has more side effects and will thin out your lining. You may want to check on price. Clomid is pretty cheap, but from what I hear Femara is pretty pricey if not covered by insurance.

SO, just doing to reading on Femara, it's used for Breast Cancer, and says not to be used by premenopausal women... How is that ok to be used for this then?

Also, Is temping enough? my OB lives 4 hours away and I just can't drop everything and keep going back to have it monitored.

I am on clomid and my dr makes me do blood test on cd 21 every month. i am sure you will have to also fora little while. the blood work shows if you ovulated or not so it is pretty important. i am on my 3rd round of clomid. i don't have a lot of side affects from it. it makes me a little dehydrated and gives me bad ovulation cramps. other than that its great. my insurance doesn't pay for it either but it is only 20 dollars for every 50mg. so since I'm on 100mg now mine is 40

SO, just doing to reading on Femara, it's used for Breast Cancer, and says not to be used by premenopausal women... How is that ok to be used for this then?

Also, Is temping enough? my OB lives 4 hours away and I just can't drop everything and keep going back to have it monitored.

Here is a really good explanation about how femara works:

https://www.cincinnatifertility.com/infertility-treatment/ovulation-drugs

The monitoring is important...especially the ultrasound. If you are only doing the cd 21 blood test, then the only thing you know is if you ovulated or not and what your progesterone levels are. Temping will only tell you what day you ovulated on.

The ultrasound will tell you the other things you need to know:

number of follicles (do you really want to chance having many follicles and risk having multiples? or what if you are aiming for 2 follicles to increase your chances but you are only getting one?)

lining (your lining needs to be 8mm+ for implantation to occur...what if you are doing all of this and it turns out your lining isn't thick enough? clomid really has an effect on your lining)

size of follicles (you may be ovulating, but are they mature follicles?
if they grow too big, then they turn into cysts instead of egg follicles)

cysts (cysts can be very dangerous if they aren't detected...they can burst or continue to grow)

At the very bare minimum, get the monitoring done for the first few months to see how your body reacts to the drugs.

Femera is cheaper and more gentle on the body, plus it is out of your system after the last pill wayyy faster than Clomid, and less side effects than Clomid. I say Femera is the better choice.

I was on both and truthfully 1 out of the 4 rounds we did I had 2 mature follicles and the other 3 rounds were all just 1 mature follicle at time of ovulation so neither drug really made a difference on that front.

It's kind of a crap shoot. Everyone's body reacts differently. Some people have to get the higher doses just to get 1 follicle, and others get many on a low dose. I usually get 3-6 on 50mg of clomid.

My sister used Clomid, and I guess they had to put her on 150mg after 2 rounds of 50 and 100. I am wondering if I can ask my doctor to start me out at 100 instead of 50 given my sisters history. My body is like identical when it comes to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->