• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Femmes Fetales - (PAL) Holding onto Hope 9 months and on...

Kizzy and Grand, The IPS is Integrated Prenatal Screening. They do an US around 11weeks and 13+6 weeks to measure NT and do a blood test to measure protein levels. They repeat the blood test 2 weeks latter and measure the protein levels again. They look at those results plus your age risk factor which gives you a combined risk factor result either high or low in the form of a 1\50 or 1\90 or 1\250, 1\7000...... chance of having a baby with Down's, Trisomy 18 or Neural tube defect.
I am not sure what the cut off is but because amnio has a risk of m\c of 1\200. They only offer amnio if your risk is higher or close to that. So the IPS can't say for sure that everything is Ok it gives you your "chance" of having a problem. Amnio tells you 100% whether everything is ok for the above diagnosis only.
IPS also has many false positives and false negatives so that can be stressful. At my age I would probably test positive and be offered the amnio anyways. So why get the scary IPS result and then have to wait until 18-20 weeks for the amnio worrying because of the bad IPS result which you get around 15 weeks. I will be 36 when my baby is born so my risk level is already 1\400 or something like that. My DH and I need to know for certain and so I think not having the amnio would just worry me throughout the pregnancy even if the IPS was like 1\7000 which is a good result. I know a family who had a 1 in 7000 chance and they were recommended not to have the amnio because this was a good result. But it just happened that they were the 1 in 7000 who's baby has Down's. They really wished they had had the amnio to know this ahead of time.

I really hate thinking about this and this is why I stayed away last week because I just can't not talk about it. It's been consuming my thoughts and some people may not want to think about this yet or at all.

I hope I haven't caused too much stress to others about this stuff. It's very personal and some people choose not to do any testing at all. It is not mandatory and the truth is they can't test for everything so we all have to make the best choice for ourselves as individuals and couples.

Lisa - Thanks for your explanation.

I will be doing the nuchal fold and obviously on the 12 and 20 week scan they will be making sure that the organs/brain/spine are all the right size, shape and placement. I guess that's all I'll be doing. It's a really hard and stressful decision to know. OH and I decided that no matter what we would keep the baby so I guess we will just hope for the best.

Obviously I want a completely healthy baby in all ways and being a mom I know is not easy and if a child has special needs then it is even harder. So in an ideal world I would want a child without any major problems (life is hard enough as it is). That being said...I guess I will have to prepare a little in my head that there could be something wrong. It's definitely scary. I hope you pass all your tests spectacularly...all of us just want healthy happy bouncing smiling babies. :dust:

I agree with Grand, thanks for the explanation, it makes much more sense. When I saw the m/w last time she mentioned the NT testing and the amnio if we wanted it if we were high risk but as soon as she said there's up to 3% chance of m/c my OH said no way we're having that which I was pleased about because its how I feel too. It's a very personal thing and I honestly dont know how we'd deal with a special needs child but we'd do our very best. We have some hard decisions ahead of us ladies dont we! But I know we'll all make the right ones for ourselves :) xx

oh and Lisa, no stress caused, dont worry, its all stuff we're informed about in the UK too, just different initials :)

Hi, Please would I be able to join this group? I've been more of a lurker reading the posts but come on babyandbump every single day.

I had a miscarriage in oct 2010 but happily now pregnant again. I'm 11 weeks and 5 days pregnant. Been very nervous this pregnancy but had my scan on friday and things were ok so trying to be positive now. :)

BFP was new years eve 31st december 2010

EDD is 7th september 2011

Sure hon - sorry for your loss. :hugs: I think you might be the furthest along so you can tell us all we have to look forward to.:winkwink: When's your 1st scan? EDITED - oops just saw that you had it on Friday!

PS. Updating 1st page with your info :)

Sure hon - sorry for your loss. :hugs: I think you might be the furthest along so you can tell us all we have to look forward to.:winkwink: When's your 1st scan? EDITED - oops just saw that you had it on Friday!

PS. Updating 1st page with your info :)

Thankyou for adding me:)

Eek am I the furthest along? Scary! It doesn't seem two minutes since I got my BFP but at same time it has really dragged lol! I just want the next couple of months to go fast now then maybe I can relax a little more. :)

hmm--of COURSE you are welcome here! So glad to have you join us! Very sorry to hear of your loss in October, :hugs: I am so glad to see that your latest scan went so well!

Lisa7--:hugs: we are definately going to have up and down times I think because we all have experienced loss, so how you are feeling is completely understandable. I also understand how you are feeling about testing as well. At 36, I know that these things will be dicussed with me as well by my doc (it was discussed with my last pregancy as well). I know we will definately be getting the first testing, I am not sure about the amnio right now, regardless of how the first results come back. It is definately a sensitive and personal choice for the parents to make. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us to have good results in the coming weeks/months.

Hmm, Welcome to our group! As you can see everyone is so supportive here.
I really don't know what I would do without these fantastic ladies. It is so nice to have a safe place to talk about your fears and joys too.

Thank you Amberyll, Grand and Kizzy, I feel so much better hearing your thoughts about testing and all that.

I feel so supported and not alone. Thank you :hugs::kiss:

Ladies, thank you for all your kind words and endless support. I wish so much that I could continue this adventure with you, but unfortunately things didn't work out for us.

We went for a private ultrasound today. There was no heartbeat and the embryo had failed to develop. My d&c is tomorrow.

I hope my bad news doesn't bring any of you down; I'm confident that you will all go on to have healthy and happy pregnancies and I'll be cheering for you the entire way. I hope so much that I can join you all on here again soon enough.

In the meantime, I'll be taking some time to heal, then when I'm feeling strong enough I'll be back on the OTWW and Femmes Fetales threads.
xo

:friends:

Oh Anna, I am so very very sorry. :cry: My heart goes out to you and your DH at this sad time. :hugs: Please do not think you would ever bring any of us down, we all care so much for you and have been thinking of you. I know there are no words that can come through your pain at this time, but please know that we are thinking of you and will always be here for you!

Much love and :hugs: being sent your way.

Oh Anna...I'm so so sorry that you've had to go through this again. :nope: My thoughts are with you and your OH. We'll be right here waiting for you once you're ready to come back. :flower: And what I'm about to say may seem a distant stretch to you right now, but you absolutely WILL have your little one in the near future. Just know that I haven't given up on that ray of hope for you. :hugs:

Sending tons of :hug: your way. Take good care of yourself.

Anna - I'm so sorry for your loss. Its just not fair. :hugs: Please look after yourself.

Anna I am so so sorry hun, I really don't know what to say.

Take care and when you are ready we will be here for you.
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Hey ladies,
Here is some info I got from my Ultrasound clinic about NTS. Its a 3 fold brochure, so the info isnt in the correct order....
Hope you can see it.

Attachments

• nt.jpg
    nt.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Top-1pg2.jpg
    Top-1pg2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 6
Melly--I can read it just fine, thank you so much for sharing!

Oh Anna :cry:
I am so so sorry Hun. Thinking of you and your DH during this awful time.
Take as long as you need away from us, but just know that we will be thinking of you, and will be ready to support you on your return.
:hugs:
xx

Wow! i have a lot to catch up on here today!
good luck to all the ladies who are making decision on what forms to testing to have. it is a very personal decision, and noone should be judged for their choices.
Personally, i will only be having ultrasounds. no blood tests, amnios, NTs or anything. I teach in a special needs school, and would be happy to have a child with special needs. i believe that if only special parents are given special children, and so i would accept my gift gracefully. just my own personal opinion though :flower:

Anyways:
welcome to our gang Hmmm! :hi: hope your pregnancy is going well.
hope everyones symptoms are nice and strong today!
AFM: morning sickness has arrived! woohoo! :yipee: still exhausted. and now getting up 3 times in the night to wee! its great! :haha:

hope you all have a great day!
xx

Yay! Frequent peeing in the night and nausea!! Thats fantastic!

Anna - I'm so sorry - I've been thinking about you and the kid and hoping always for the best. It's just so unfair after all you've been through hon. I wish you a very speedy physical recovery. I know mentally it will take some time. Come back whenever you want and are ready you always are welcome. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->