Fezzle's secret wedding planning

I love my ring. Dh is something that if he gets it caught it will break.

For the whole wedding trip/honeymoon, the plan would be to fly to Gibraltar (or maybe Malaga), spend a few days on Gibraltar and get married there, then go into Spain and hire a campervan, which we'd travel around in for maybe a couple weeks.

Here's one site I've been looking at: https://www.flamencocampers.com/en

A few years ago I started looking into getting a campervan, but could never save up the money for one. I was really keen to do a campervan holiday though. OH had been planning to travel around Europe in a campervan too (this was all before we knew each other), so on our first date, it was one of the things we talked about wanting to do. For our first holiday together, which was about 4 months after we started dating, we hired a campervan in France, and travelled around in it for 2 weeks. We decided that we'd get our own campervan, but since neither of us are knowledgable about mechanical things, we decided we didn't want a retro one like we had in France, but instead a more modern one. So, now we want to hire a newer one to see how we like that before buying one. We also need to look into what it would be like to go on campervan holidays with babies and toddlers, because if it's just going to sit in the drive for a few years, we'll probably just wait.

I'm not sure where we'd go in Spain with it. One of the things we liked about our trip to France was going through the little villages that we wouldn't have normally seen on a regular holiday, so we want to do something similar in Spain.

I think the campervan looks cute! I think it might be easier to travel in one of those with kids than a standard vehicle, as you can bring more of their things with you.

Randomly: my parents went to Malaga a few years ago and absolutely loved it. I wonder if you will get a photobombed by a monkey.

There are a lot of monkeys on Gibraltar too apparently! My friends were there for a wedding and were warned to keep their hotel windows closed because of them.

I had an unexpected holiday in Spain about 5 years ago- I went for a weekend for a conference and had hoped to extend it to make it into a holiday, but couldn't with my teaching schedule. But, then the volcanic ash cloud came and I was stranded in Spain for a week! I was originally in Grenada, then went to Madrid for a few days, then Barcelona for a few days, then got an overnight bus to Paris, where I had a day, then went to Caen where I got the ferry back to the UK. Although I wish I had been more prepared (I had only packed for the conference and for 3 days, and also was low on money at the time), it was a really fun adventure. We'll probably at least go to Grenada again because OH has never been to the Alhambra. I'm not sure if we'll go to Barcelona since his cousin is moving there in July, so we'll have other opportunities to go, but we both love Barcelona and have wanted to go there together for ages.

I've just ordered my birth certificate from NJ! I need to bring my driving license into work tomorrow and scan and send it too, but hopefully it won't take too long! I've also got a form for my divorce certificate too, so hopefully that won't take too long either! Those have been the biggest obstacles. The next one will be to see what's going on with OH's possible new job and if he'd be able to take a few weeks off work.

I remember the ash cloud incident. Hubster has managed never to travel abroad and we plan to remedy this asap (2016-ish). I was an army brat that grew up in central Europe and have traveled to most of central and western Europe as an adult. But the brat life also taught me to keep copies of everything in my current residence - I can't believe you don't have copies of your birth certificate, woman! But very glad to hear that collecting all required items is going well, sometimes government offices can be nightmarish to deal with. I hope things continue to go smoothly!

My mom has all that stuff in a safe deposit box. It would be easy if I could just ask her for it! I really regret not having the foresight to ask for it while I was applying for citizenship last year when it would have been a legitimate request, especially since we were already thinking of eloping.

Where would you travel in 2016ish? We might end up doing a bigger trip too- to Japan or South America- depending on what happens with TTC. When I got the BFP, I think OH had a bit of a panic about what was on his better-to-do-before-we-have-kids list.

This is me today (but it's been a lot more than a half hour...)

https://www.theonion.com/articles/woman-takes-short-halfhour-break-from-being-femini,35026/

Yay wedding thread!!! Holding my place. :D

The tea-length dress is really cute, I love the lace.

I didn't bother with an engagement ring and a wedding ring separately, I was like, why do I need two rings to signify I'm married? So I just have the one ring. My husband proposed with a candy ring. :lol:

Lol at the Onion article! Love it! The Onion always makes me laugh!

Melly that is so sweet!

Here!

:rofl: at the onion article!

Also absolutely loving your choice of dress! All your ideas so far, venues, campervan, are awesome! Can't wait to see it all come together!

Yay for ordering your birth certificate :D. When I moved out, I took all my important documents with me.

I think OH has all of his documents at least. I trust my mom more than I trust myself! :haha: I'm currently in my 15th home in the past 20 years, so I'm sure I would have lost them somewhere along the way!

Big thanks to the talented confuzion for making my new button!

I found some old travel books for Spain and Andalucia last night, so have been looking at them to get some ideas about the trip. OH has some concerns about how warm it will be end of March/early April- not that we're expecting beach weather, but for it to be nice enough to sit outside the campervan for meals, and it looks like in southern Spain it will be fine then for that. I doubt we'll go too far north; if we get our own campervan some day, we'll probably come down on the ferry with it and do the north then.

Another bonus I found out from the guide books is that we'd be there for Semana Santa (Holy Week) which looks like quite an event.

If there's some issue with my paperwork or OH's ability to take off work, I think the plan will move to the summer, but right now, I'm really hoping this works out. The distraction from the mc and TTC has done wonders for my emotional well being!

The Onion article is hilarious! I didn't want a wedding dress, forget how I got talked into trying some on and the first dress was "it" - tried on a few more because I couldn't believe it was that easy, and went with #1, the first and only dress excursion. And it was metallic blush/ light pink :)

2016: I want to go somewhere new, but I also miss Germany. I grew up there and get called back about every 10 years or so, already having an itch to hop a plane and go. I'm thinking about eastern Germany, close enough to take a drive into Slovakia and/or Poland, as I've not been to either of those. Have been dreaming about Prague for ages. I love the old, powerful looking European cities.

Prague is gorgeous. That was my first trip in Europe (other than the UK!). It was also the first time I went on a holiday by myself. I absolutely loved it and would like to go back some day! I need to see more of Germany too; I've been to Munich, though it was during the World Cup 2006 so it was a crazy time! And I've been to Stuttgart too, but that was for a roller derby trip. For Eastern Europe, I went to Latvia once with my ex, and it was a really cool place too.

If the timing for this wedding trip works out, but for some reason Gibraltar/Spain doesn't, I think our back up plan would be a registry wedding in the UK and then off to northern Italy, which was going to be last summer's plan before the house and OH's father's illness put things on hold.

I LOVE TUSCANY. I also love the Aegean islands in Greece, not fussy about which one. I spent a summer bouncing around there and find them all some of the most chill places on planet Earth.

I spent a lot of time in southern/ central Germany. I would have a hard time listing all the places, though! I love the Rhine Valley, probably on account of the wine.

And I know where Latvia is on a map, but have no clue what's there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->