FF from start, where will my Milk go?

TTCfirstovr30

Reaction score
Soon-to-be first time mom here.

I plan to formula feed right from the start. What do I do when my milk comes in, does it dry up automatically or do I need to do something? Will I still "leak" if I am not BF? Do I need to bring pads with me to put in my bra at the hospital?

Hi,

I also formula fed from the start. I had contacted the hospital in advance to see if I would need to bring my own formula and bottles. During that conversation, they told me they could give me a pill after the birth which would stop the milk from coming. They did indeed give it to me, and I never had any leaking at all.

I'm living in Germany, though. I'm not sure if they offer that pill in other countries. But perhaps you could inquire about it.

The milk just stops coming in after a while. I just used bra pads.

I've just gone through this with my LO who is a week old. My milk came in about day 3 and my breasts were really sore and tender. They are just starting to feel normal now - my LO will be one week tomorrow. I didn't have any leaking and while they were really sore avoided any stimulation of them-and wore a bra at all times. I'm in the UK and wasn't offered a pill to dry the milk up.

Your body will absorb the milk if it's not used. Also your milk usually comes in around day 3 so you may not need any pads in the hospital.

I fed my LG for 4 days then moved to formula and still had milk until week 5, especially after a shower so it can take a while to go.

I've heard Epsom salts help dry up milk but I've no idea what you do with them

Love your ticket by the way :)

I formula fed my first from birth (however I did express sometimes for the first two weeks too) and my milk came in on day four, I slept and woke up leaking all over the place lol. Before I first expressed my breasts were engorged and very uncomfortable but it soon passes. :)

I bf for a day and then switched to formula so my milk hadn't come in really. When it does come in though your boobs will be really sore, my midwife advised a tight fitting support bra at all times to act as compression, and after a few days it goes away. I didn't leak at all.

I exclusively breast fed in the hospital (they have a policy that they won't allow formula feeding) and it was a nightmare. I stopped as soon as I got home. My milk comes in fast and was fully in by day 2. My boobs got super sore and super hard like rocks really fast. I bought cabbage and cut off the leaves and kept them in the freezer. I would put them in my bra. It helps dry up your supply and the cold helps with the pain. It only took about 2-3 days and then the deflated back to a somewhat normal state. You smell like cabbage soup but I swear it works like a miracle! Good luck!!

Really great suggestions ladies. Thank you!

I am going to ask about the pill and see what they say. Otherwise, I will just wait and see what happens. What about your boobs, do they go back to the way they were pre-pregnancy?

Thanks LoveCakes, wanted something other than the food one because it always made me hungry!

Really great suggestions ladies. Thank you!

I am going to ask about the pill and see what they say. Otherwise, I will just wait and see what happens. What about your boobs, do they go back to the way they were pre-pregnancy?

Thanks LoveCakes, wanted something other than the food one because it always made me hungry!

Yeah, my breasts did go back. I really don't see any difference between how they were pre-preg and now. That said, they didn't change that much during the pregnancy, itself. They got a little bigger, but not much. My weight gain went elsewhere. So that might be a factor. Also, I continued working out during my pregnancy which I think helped as well.

I exclusively breast fed in the hospital (they have a policy that they won't allow formula feeding) and it was a nightmare. I stopped as soon as I got home. My milk comes in fast and was fully in by day 2. My boobs got super sore and super hard like rocks really fast. I bought cabbage and cut off the leaves and kept them in the freezer. I would put them in my bra. It helps dry up your supply and the cold helps with the pain. It only took about 2-3 days and then the deflated back to a somewhat normal state. You smell like cabbage soup but I swear it works like a miracle! Good luck!!

This got me very upset. They don't "allow"??? What if a woman really doesn't want to breastfeed? They truly force her to do something with her body against her will?! Everywhere I know, that's a crime. I hope you mean that they just put on a lot of pressure but do listen if a woman says, "no" ?

Sorry you went through that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"