First Aid Kit?

T

Tilly

Thinking of putting together a simple first aid kit for home and we're going abroad in June so I wanted some ideas of what to put in it. The lists you find on leaflets in shops are just trying to get you to spend your money there! so I wanted some good mums advice for essential first aid kit items.

Ace thread - been thinking about this myself (first aid box at home)

:D

Hopefully theres some tips

Can you buy baby first aid boxes though (I haven't looked yet) - should say contents and give some good ideas.

I planned to get one done when we moved.

I bought one all done up in March before we went on our hols in a chemist for £2.99 :)

it had:

scissors (very useful for opening ready-made milks)
gauze
tweezors(?)
plasters
antispetic cream
bandage
pins (very handy)
plaster tape
lint
wound pad
alcohol cleansing wipes
gloves
cotton buds
a first-aid guide

now this is just a general first-aid kit but I thought it very cheap for the amount of stuff in it :yes:

heres one on ebay, it looks very good too

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-FIRST-AI...ryZ67201QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

oh and throw an eye bath in too, it would be handy if you got sand in your eye :)

oh just to add, if going on holiday you can add mosquito creams, and wipes etc and plasters are handy for new shoes that hurt :lol:

oh and I cant seem to find a baby edition but did find this 'check-list' on the mothercare website:

first aid kit for babies

When you have a baby, it’s useful to have a first-aid kit tailored to their needs - but do make sure that all medicines and small items are safely locked away (see our piece on child safety). Here’s a guide to the essentials:

Infant paracetamol (such as Calpol) or infant ibuprofen (such as Nurofen for Children). Useful for fevers or general pain relief if your baby is over three months old. Follow the dosage instructions. When a child has a fever, it can sometimes be useful to alternate doses of infant paracetamol with infant ibuprofen. Again, follow dosage instructions. Avoid ibuprofen if your child has asthma.
Medicine spoon or ‘syringe’
A thermometer - a strip for the forehead, a digital thermometer for under the arm, or one that can be inserted in the ear.
Nappy rash cream (such as Sudocrem).
Barrier cream - useful to prevent nappy rash or sore noses.
Antiseptic cream - for cleaning cuts.
Arnica cream - for bumps and bruises.
Baby decongestant for blocked noses (only for babies over three months old).
Bandages and gauze (as in a standard first aid kit).
Scissors (round-ended nail scissors are useful).
A note of your doctor’s and health visitor’s numbers

Mothercare do baby 1st aid kits. I've done my own it has:

Plasters
antiseptic cream
scissors
thermometer
cotton wool
gloves
bandage
lint
gauze
micropore tape
tweezers
pins
calpol
bonjella
syringes
bruise packs
gripe water
infant cough syrup
nappy cream
antiseptic wipes
insect bite spray/cream

can't add anything really
I always have the wipes and plasters in my bag wherever we go

Just a tip though if nobody knows, if baby or mum for that matter gets stung by a wasp/bee never use the tweezers to get it out, use you bankcard to scrape it away

We've got one a basic one from the tele but added a few extra's
- cold compress for burns
- tissues to wrap around the compress
- children's dioralyte, if they get dyhadrated through diaarhoea
- burneze
- stingeze
x x

Know it's been a while, but I didn't get around to doing this!

Ace thread - been thinking about this myself (first aid box at home)

:D

Hopefully theres some tips

Can you buy baby first aid boxes though (I haven't looked yet) - should say contents and give some good ideas.

I planned to get one done when we moved.
I was going to buy a Boots travel one, but the price for what you get was a joke.. then you get the branded ones (eg - Mr Men, cute but expensive!).
I bought a few bits today, some Savlon and Disney plasters since Bethanie is toddling and likely to get a few scrapes here and there. I will be adding to this in the next few weeks so that my kit is all ready for our summer holiday.

Mamafy - Thanks, didn't even think of a first aid guide.. I will def get one of those.

Great ideas all.:happydance:

This is a really useful thread :D Was thinking about this the other day - the ready-made first aid kits seem so expensive in our local stores :shock: Think I will note down a few ideas from this thread and put my own one together... Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->