First Christmas with a baby - advice needed!

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
Hey ladies - just looking for some hints and tips of coping with Christmas with a baby - she will be 10 weeks at Christmas so still very much a newborn and unaware of anything.

I love Christmas - especially giving presents and seeing family, but I'm not wanting to overdo it and spend the day pleasing others, but at the same time I know everyone wants to see her and we want to make sure we see everyone.

We normally have two Christmas dinners - one at my parents at lunchtime, then one at my OH's parents at dinner time. My dad is working Christmas Day so we need to tie it in with his shifts.

In terms of presents, I feel bad not getting her much but she has got pretty much all the clothes she needs until she is a year old already, she has some toys and books etc but I was thinking of just buying her a few books/toys to the value of maybe £20ish then putting some money in we savings account. Is that the norm for newborns? My mum and dad are buying her a book only, but are giving us money to get her something as she gets older. We already have a lot f money in savings for her anyway so it seems a waste.

I'm overthinking things!

Firstly congrats on your new baby and secondly fair play for managing 2 xmas dinners in one day ha!
Could you go to your parents for lunch to fit with your dads work then ask DH parents to come to you for a buffet tea so that at least your at home with LO? We went away for DS first christmas but now hes a bit older its nice to be at home so he can play.
Gift wise I agree that going OTT for a baby is silly, id really recommend buying a jumparoo if you want to buy just one big gift, or something simple like some books or bath toys which she can grow in to then put the rest into her savings account.
Id try and set a presedence early so that you dont feel obliged to run around every year from here on in fitting everyone in on xmas day..most importantly enjoy it x

I have only spent around £30 on my lo. She has so many toys from her sister and will gets lots of presents from relatives. They have no idea at that age anyway.

I agree to try and get in laws to yours if possible. Babies are pretty adaptable but it's whatever you are happy with.

Up until this year I've stuck to getting DS one main present and a book for his stocking. He gets so much from family that he gets overwhelmed and I struggle to find somewhere to put it all. At that age baby won't even notice.

my youngest turned 3m on the xmas eve.
I didn't buy him much, clothes, baby walker as we no longer had that and a few 6 month plus toys. he literally slept through the present opening haha!
I would deffo put the rest of the money into a bank account.

In terms of visiting it depends how you lo is, my youngest was such an easy going baby i could have took him anywhere. My oldest it would have been a sweeping visit and home asap :') he was such a nightmare baby and needed his routine.

S was 6 weeks old on his first Christmas and he got a teddy of an animal that rhymes with his name (which is what I got for my first Christmas) and a rocking chair. We also started the tradition of taking him to Santa, getting a photograph and putting it in a bauble that we hang on the tree. I'll be doing that every year for as long as he will let me.

Fair play trying to see everyone. I'd suggest having someone visit you.
How about your parents coming for breakfast (rolls n sausage nothing overly stressing) and presents opening?

Presents I'd think, playmat if she doesn't have one, jumperoo, and possibly a walker. I'm thinking things she would use before her birthday. But that also depends on how much of a stickler you are for not buying out with birthday / Christmas. Personally during the first year I bought as I felt the need.
Other small things, teddy, books (no child can have too many) touchy feely things. She will be too young to understand but make sure you both take the time to chill and get lots of photos (grandparents can help)

Thanks ladies! We have a bouncy chair and a play gym for her already, plus hundreds of pounds in savings (returned tonnes of gifts as she had so much already plus saved through the pregnancy) so I feel like we can buy gifts as we need them for her - I really did consider a jumperoo but we have a dog and I don't think she would get peace!

With the visiting thing my poor dad is the only driver and he works shifts, plus OH's dad usually works Christmas so we feel the need to continue the visits. They only live about 20 mins apart so it isn't too bad, I was more looking for advice on how to cope with the long day as we also have a big dog to occupy and it's tiring! I'm thinking of maybe staying with one set of grandparents?

I'm so excited to start Christmas Eve boxes and carrying on traditions from my own childhood :)

Yeah I wouldn't get to many gifts perhaps a special 1st Christmas tree decoration or my 1st Christmas book to fill with pictures. As for seeing all the family don't put yourself under any pressure this is your 1st Christmas as a wee family do what you want whether that be going to there houses for a hour or ask them to yours xx

My SIL used the jumperoo inside one of the lindam playpens, you know the hexagonal type without a floor, to keep dog away.

Seriously don't stress yourselves out trying to visit everyone (and walking the dog) have someone visit you.

The first couple of Christmases of my niece (also an October baby) her parents did what you are trying to do. Come year 3 they decided it was too stressful on them and unfair on their daughter who was getting given loads of toys (hurried up to open them) then getting dragged round the houses not seeing her new things.

Have a think to the future and not have it expected that you are going to do all the running around.

My SIL used the jumperoo inside one of the lindam playpens, you know the hexagonal type without a floor, to keep dog away.

Seriously don't stress yourselves out trying to visit everyone (and walking the dog) have someone visit you.

The first couple of Christmases of my niece (also an October baby) her parents did what you are trying to do. Come year 3 they decided it was too stressful on them and unfair on their daughter who was getting given loads of toys (hurried up to open them) then getting dragged round the houses not seeing her new things.

Have a think to the future and not have it expected that you are going to do all the running around.

^^ this is exactly what i meant! ☺

Congrats on your little bub :)
My first born was 2 mths old at his first Christmas, and my youngest just 6 days old, i didnt get them alot to be honest mainly things they needed as they grew, and the youngest was mainly so the older two could 'help' her open them and get excited for her!!
It should be up to you what you want to do for Christmas, the good thing with them being so small is they pretty much sleep through everything (well mine did anyway lol ) so i took them with us to wherever we were going and they just slept through it all, but do what you feel is best, you might find you don't have energy to go out and just want a quiet one at home, and people should respect that really!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->