First scan this morning; yolk sac but no baby

kellig

Reaction score
Hey, all.

I had my first scan this morning. OB usually schedules them from 7 1/2 from LMP, but I OV'd on the 19th day of my cycle so that would put me at 6+6 today.

Sonographer said everything looked good and standard for an "early pregnancy", but there was only a yolk sac and no baby. She didn't say anything to me about how far along the gestational sac was measuring or anything like that, and I was too devastated at the moment to think to ask her.

I have to wait another hour to call and get my blood labs so I am not sure yet about HcG levels. I am going back for more labs on the 26th to see if HcG is doubling and have another scan scheduled for January 3rd.

I can't stop crying. I don't know how I am going to get through the holidays. Anyone have a similar experience?

Hey! I went through the same thing. I went in for an ultrasound at 7 weeks and the baby wasn't there. It was just a yolk sac but no fetal pole, so I thought the worst. Two weeks later I had another ultrasound and the baby was there. Don't jump to conclusions.. stay calm and try to wait until the next ultrasound. I was told this is normal, but of course I didn't listen.

Hey! I went through the same thing. I went in for an ultrasound at 7 weeks and the baby wasn't there. It was just a yolk sac but no fetal pole, so I thought the worst. Two weeks later I had another ultrasound and the baby was there. Don't jump to conclusions.. stay calm and try to wait until the next ultrasound. I was told this is normal, but of course I didn't listen.

thank you!

i just got my lab results and my HcG is 59000, which they said was good. my progesterone is only 11.7 though and i'm worried about that. they told me before i left that if it was below 10, they would put me on progesterone, but from what i've read, 11.7 is still really low. do you remember what your numbers were for your first visit? i know that HcG varies widely from person to person...

I'd say at nearly 7 weeks you should probably be seeing more than just yolk sac. The other thing is you could have implanted late. https://www.baby2see.com/development/ultrasound_sonogram/first_trimester_scans.html

How sure are you of your ovulation date? If its based on best guess, cm, then chances are good that you could have ovulated a little bit later than you thought. If your date is based on opk's it could still be ok, as sometimes you can get a positive opk, then not ovulate and get another peak a few days later, then ovulate and you miss testing that peak as you thought first peak was ov. If your date is based on opk's and temp's then chances are less good as there is less room for error on dates.

The other thing that could have happened is the scan could not have been as good as it should have been. Did they do an internal scan? To get an accurate picture this early on the scan really needs to be vaginal. Do you know if your uterus tips forward or backwards? A backwards tipped uterus makes it harder to see what's going on with the scan and babies are seen later. The machine could have been older, the tech less experienced.

How sure are you of your ovulation date? If its based on best guess, cm, then chances are good that you could have ovulated a little bit later than you thought. If your date is based on opk's it could still be ok, as sometimes you can get a positive opk, then not ovulate and get another peak a few days later, then ovulate and you miss testing that peak as you thought first peak was ov. If your date is based on opk's and temp's then chances are less good as there is less room for error on dates.

The other thing that could have happened is the scan could not have been as good as it should have been. Did they do an internal scan? To get an accurate picture this early on the scan really needs to be vaginal. Do you know if your uterus tips forward or backwards? A backwards tipped uterus makes it harder to see what's going on with the scan and babies are seen later. The machine could have been older, the tech less experienced.

Positive about OV date because of OPK and temping.

Had a vaginal scan and I don't know if my uterus is tipped either way.

I'm sorry I don't have any experience of this or advice but just wanted to say I have my fx for you and I hope you are able to find a way to deal with the worry while you wait for your next scan.

Positive about OV date because of OPK and temping.

Had a vaginal scan and I don't know if my uterus is tipped either way.

That puts you about 6 days out. They date the pregnancy by 1mm = a day above 6 weeks. So 6+6 should mean a 6mm fetal pole, but no fetal pole puts you at 6 weeks. Which isn't so big that you should loss hope. This pregnancy I've measure a day ahead at 5+6 and then 3 days behind at 7+1, back up to a day ahead at 9+0 and 4 days ahead at 11+0. So its quite normal to measure a few days either way.

I guess it could go either way. When I had my MMC in the summer I found a site "misdiagnosed miscarriage" with some amazing stories from people who were expected to miscarry. If you have a google for it and a look around their site I think you'll find a number of stories that match your own and have a good outcome.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you, and fingers crossed your hCG levels are good. :hugs:

Just got a call from the nurse. She was very happy with HcG levels but is calling me in a prescription for progesterone.

Kellig, good to hear they are being proactive, I'm sure all will be well, a few days means a lot at this stage.

Don't give up hope yet! I'm glad they are writing a script for the progesterone, that does seem low. Good luck and hope to hear good news in the near future. :) :hugs:

Just wanted to give an uodate for those in the same boat. Had my follow up scan today and saw my baby and the heartbeat!!! They said I am measuring 6+1. I still get confused with the dating stuff, but I was ecstatic to see the heartbeat there today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->