First U/S has me worried...

JillieBean

Expecting #2
Reaction score
Just got back from my first ultrasound. The tech told me I was very early (6w4d) so we may not see much of anything. We didn't. All I saw was my gestational sac. I asked if I got anything printed up and she said no not yet. She said my doctor and the radiologist would look at my scan to take measurements and see how far along I am and I will hear back in two days. The tech didn't seemed worried at all but I am. This is not what I expected at all and now I can't stop worrying....:shrug:

Through this board is loads of threads just like yours, some women are even as far gone as you and don't even see the sac Hun, please don't worry Hun xx

I had my first scan yesterday and I have been worried myself, The baby was measuring 2 days ahead but the midwife had a hard time finding the heartbeat and only let us listen for about 10 seconds when she finally found it. She didnt tell us what the heartrate was or if it was strong only said she felt good about it and left the room.

I had a scan at 6wks with DD all they saw was a sac too, she said dont worry its just too early to see anything, at the last minute she saw a tiny flicker of a heart beat, I had another one 3wks later and everything was fine.

6wks is sometimes just too early, if you think LO heart is only the size of a poppy seed. Xx

Agree with above - there are LOADS of threads that are similar after having early scans. Our doc never books scans before 7 weeks for this reason - a HB isn't seen, the mama is sick with worry and another scan needs to be booked. LMP gives a general idea of how far along you are, but this early a few days can make so much difference. Did they do an internal or an external scan?

Agree with above - there are LOADS of threads that are similar after having early scans. Our doc never books scans before 7 weeks for this reason - a HB isn't seen, the mama is sick with worry and another scan needs to be booked. LMP gives a general idea of how far along you are, but this early a few days can make so much difference. Did they do an internal or an external scan?
They did both, started with an external, then transvaginal.

I'm in same position as you. I had a scan yesterday, based on my lmp I was 6+1 but based on ovulation I was either 5+2 or 5+3. All they saw was a gestational sac. I knew I wouldn't see a heartbeat but am worried that there should have been a yolk sac. Do you know exactly when you ovulated (a few days can make a big difference with early ultrasounds). Also did they schedule a follow up ultrasound for comparison? I go back in 2 weeks and feel like I'm going crazy stressing about it

That's a scary appointment. How sure are you about your dates... I totally understand your concern but I'm hoping you're a little earlier than you think... Prayers your way

That's a scary appointment. How sure are you about your dates... I totally understand your concern but I'm hoping you're a little earlier than you think... Prayers your way

Pretty sure about my dates. For some reason I can remember if the first day of my last period was August 2 or August 3, but other than that, my cycle is between 26 and 29 days, usually right around 28, so I really feel like I should have seen something by now. Trying so hard to stay positive, but how can I?

You could def just be too early! I've seen so many of these stories! Don't lose hope. I refused an early u/s for this reason! Just had one yesterday at 10 weeks, maybe try and go when your further along. Try not to stress about it. Good luck xx

I'm so sorry your scan was not what you expected, I really feel for you. It is SO impossible not to feel worry, and everything is so scary in these early days, I feel the fear too. But all you can do is wait and try to stay calm, keep yourself busy. I have the feeling it's just too early to see anything yet. Like another lady said, sometimes just a day or two can make a huge difference in what can be seen on U/S.

For this reason, my doctor won't see her patients until 8 weeks (unless a history of complications.) She said that it's usually too early to hear/ see anything most of the time and it stresses out the patients to do it too early.

Best of luck on your next scan, I'm sure everything will be fine.

I had a scan at 5 weeks 1 day saw only gest sac, scan at 6+1 saw nly gest sac again and I was crushed. scan at 6+5 and tech saw bub with hb of 116. a few days make a whole lot of differnce

Wow, this is why I love this forum. You are all making me feel so much better... Still, so worried...

at my firtst u/s doc couldnt see anything not even a gestational sac! went back 2 weeks later and there was the gestational sac and yolk sac. all the ladies are totally right a few days can make a huge difference.

Thank you. I'm starting to see symptoms disappear... haven't been waking up in the middle of the night to pee and just like that my boobs aren't sore.... I'm beyond devestated

Symptoms come and go don't worry about that. I had a week where I felt great! It really worried me, the week afteri felt awful again it's just your hormones paying tricks x

Symptoms come and go don't worry about that. I had a week where I felt great! It really worried me, the week afteri felt awful again it's just your hormones paying tricks x

Thank you. It's just too much of a coincidence. I think back to my chemical and the day before I realized I lost it was the first time I didn't get up to pee in the middle of the night. The last time I got up in the middle of the night was Wednesday or Thursday. If this is a blighted ovum, which I suspect it is.... well I can't think of a more cruel trick for my body to play on me...

Hey Jillie

Try not to worry, I find our minds play tricks on us sometimes. I saw my doc yesterday and I asked her if CD 1 was the day I started bleeding for the chemical last month and she just kept saying, we need a dating scan, so it's really possible that your dates are off, and like the ladies are saying 1, 2, 3 days off will make a big difference!!

good luck.

Kim

Thank you Kim. I hope you're right. My scan's been read, they say it could go either way. She said my gestational sac is measuring right at 6 weeks 2 days, so they should have been able to see a fetal pole, but didn't. She said it could just mean that I'm earlier than we thought, but of course it could also mean that the pregnancy isn't viable. The doctor will call me before the end of the day to discuss my scan further and schedule a second ultrasound. I'm terrified...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->