For those that have tried Vitex ...

Sheece

Reaction score
I want to try Vitex next cycle to try to get my cycles under control, they've been all over the shop the last three months, and before that, on the odd cycle here and there.

I was doing some googling on it, as you do, and noticed some people saying that it messed up their first cycle on it by delaying it still, but then the next cycle it worked as prescribed.

For those that have used it, did that happen to you? If it delayed your cycle, would you still say it was worth it in the long run?

It worked wonders for me! I wasn't ovulating and had crazy cycles. Sometimes I would go three months without a period. From my first month taking it, I Od on cd14, regulated to a 28 day cycle. 3 months later, I got my long awaited BFP. I know a lot of ladies have said that it can take up to about three months for it to sort things out but I highly recommend it. Good luck

I always got my BFP the first month using it! It always made me O earlier (so it did not mess up my cycles)! This is my first cycle TTC #3, and I took vitex. I O'ed on CD 14 (I've NEVER O'd that early! Usually it's after CD 20!, and I'm hoping for a BFP in a few days! :flower:

Ive read bout it but Ive been cagey whether to take it or not? My cycles are normal but I always spot early in 2ww not sure if this is hindering my chances?

It worked for me! After going off the pill my cycles were all over the place or non-existent. Vitex brought them back and I'm now on semi-regular 30-34 day cycles but it definitely helped regulate everything and get things back on track. I took it for about 9 months. I highly recommend taking it! I've been off of it for about 4 months now and things are still going smoothly.

Ive read bout it but Ive been cagey whether to take it or not? My cycles are normal but I always spot early in 2ww not sure if this is hindering my chances?

It is not recommended for women who have normal cycles xx It can do a fair bit of damage. Spotting mid cycle is very common though sweetheart. Nothing too concerning xxx I doubt it would be hindering your chances <3

Hello Wantingagirl,

My cycles are regular too and I am on TTC#1, third cycle. I also get brown spotting 3-4 days before my AF from last several months/years (I didn't pay attention :laugh2:). So, I read in the forums that spotting before AF may be a sign of low Progesterone and so i am getting tested on friday. I will let you know if it sounds familiar once i hear the results. I am on dpo 6 today.

Good luck to us and everybody else! :hugs:

I am currently taking Gaia women's balance which is a blend of vitex and black cohosh. I read so many reviews of women saying it worked miracles for them. I have been taking Vitex for 5.5 months and unfortunately it has not helped regulate my cycles since stopping BCP but I am going to continue taking it for the next three weeks to give it the full try. You are supposed to take it for a full 6 months to see the effects. Some women give up too quickly. From the reviews I have read, many women who have regular cycles take it thinking it will help them be extra fertile and it just messes with their cycles. If you have wonky cycles then it is probably worth a try. Good luck!

Thanks for all the opinions ladies, really appreciate it!

I'm a bit confused now though. My last three cycles have been messed up, and as I said before that I had the odd cycle or two here or there, but usually they were pretty normal. 28 - 32 days. Within the last year my AF pains have been getting progressively worse too though.

I don't know if messed up cycles are my new norm now or maybe I should wait another month and see what happens next cycle, before trying. What do you girls think?

When you say your cycles are "messed up" what does that mean and what does that look like for you?

Well usually my ovulation is around CD 20, and LP is about 10 days (which I would like to lengthen).

Last cycle my ovulation was CD 28, this cycle I'm on CD 36 with no ovulation yet. Looks like my body has tried but failed a few times this cycle.

I wouldn't mind ovulating earlier and having a longer LP so vitex sounds like it could be the goer for me at any rate, im just wary of mucking up my cycle further if it's not "irregular enough" for the Vitex to count.

Some other options for you:

Vitamin B6 is supposed to strengthen LPs

Maca is a root vegetable which helps many women regulate their cycles but it does not have the same side effects as Vitex. It comes in pill form.

I took an organic version of Vitex because I had a shorter LP that I hoped to lengthen. It totally messed with my body, and it took three cycles for things to normalize after I stopped taking it. I had no period, and no ovulation, and then a normal period, followed almost immediately by another period that lasted for 20 days, followed by another super long no-period cycle. From the threads I was on at the time, Vitex seems to work really well for people with PCOS or very very short LPs, but from my experience, I would say its pretty darn potent and if what you're trying to do is adjust your LP by a couple of days it might not be that helpful.

It took us 11 cycles to conceive and it took my body about 5 cycles to calm down into something regular (which ended up being anywhere from 30-33 days and a 10-11 day LP) after coming of BCP. From your signature it looks like you're in cycle 2? I'm not sure if you were using hormonal BC recently, but you might just need some time too. I found OPKs to be very helpful early on.

Good luck to you!! :dust:

Well done sheece for posting this question. I probably should have done this before just taking it!

I've always had pretty normal cycles but ovulated late last month so started vitex this month and still waiting on ovulation. I don't know if I was starting to have some ovulation problems or if I've now buggered up my body. im really unsure whether to keep it up now or not. I've had watery cm a few times and opks started to get a second line then it's gone to nothing.

It is not recommended for women who have normal cycles xx It can do a fair bit of damage. Spotting mid cycle is very common though sweetheart. Nothing too concerning xxx I doubt it would be hindering your chances <3

What damage can it do? I think I've unwittingly put myself in this category :-(

What damage can it do? I think I've unwittingly put myself in this category :-(

It's a very potent herb. If your cycles are normal, it will mess with your hormone levels and put everything out of whack. I would stop taking it now honey xx It should be fine, your hormones should regulate again once you stop taking it xx

Thanks tinymumma. I will do. I didn't need it with no 1 so not sure why I thought I'd need it this time. Desperation I guess.

Wow thanks for all these replies ladies! The bad experiences are enough to put me off trying it next month I think ...

Yes I'm on my second cycle trying katieMK - on CD 40 now with no ovulation so I think im just worrying too much. Hoping that's all it is anyway, very frustrating!

I might give it another month or two and see if my cycles settle down and go back to normal, then see my DR if not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->