Friendly reminder to all! Updated pg6 :'(

They came this morning! Good news; all clear. Next one will be 2015! Thankyou again for highlighting the importance of smears.

Just wanted to update. My smear came back and it's all clear :) I don't need another one until 2015.

Just wanted to update. My smear came back and it's all clear :) I don't need another one until 2015.

Another Yippee!! And great news :happydance:
Well done girls on getting it out of the way for another 3 years x

Why every 3 years? What if you get HPV tomorrow? it could develop into cancer within 6 months to a year...

Why every 3 years? What if you get HPV tomorrow? it could develop into cancer within 6 months to a year...

that's generally how long between checks of course we can see our doctor if we have any fears that anything is wrong. :)

I guess so, but when I was diagnosed I didn't know anything was wrong. They caught it early right before it turned into cancer thank GOD but I had no discomfort or anything... and from what I know (I'm no doctor of course) you don't get discomfort from cancer until it starts to spread. I dunno, I just wished you guys did it once per year. Seems like the government would be on top of that too, since it would save them tons of money on chemo and radiation to treat cancer :shrug:

You're right sideways, it should be more than 3 yearly, but I would be less worried about that than the age of first smear limit. The truth is many girls are now sexually active by 16 and picking up HPV at this age. They then have to wait 9YEARS(!!!) brewing the virus and developing pre-cancerous cells before they are allowed a smear. Which, as you said, will then cost the government a fortune in cancer treatment :shrug:
Generally the development of pre-cancerous or cancerous cells takes years after infection with HPV that's why it is left as a 3year gap. Most women get an all-clear on their smear and think they mustn't have HPV but the only thing the smear tells us is that the cells haven't changed yet. The person could have been infected with HPV years before x

I live in Wales and luckily we're allowed a smear from the age of 18, I really need to have one I havent yet. how long after a baby do we have to wait??

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend :( I have my 6 weeks app. today so I am booking it then!

I live in Wales and luckily we're allowed a smear from the age of 18, I really need to have one I havent yet. how long after a baby do we have to wait??

Sorry Emma, I tried to reply to u earlier today but my BnB wasn't working. I think they say 6months after having your baby as the hormones can give you a false positive result. The American girls here seem to have them earlier than that so they must have a different policy there. Ask your Gp and see what they say. How old is your LO? Funny that 3 welsh girls in a row have posted just now! ;) x

Sorry Emma, I tried to reply to u earlier today but my BnB wasn't working. I think they say 6months after having your baby as the hormones can give you a false positive result. The American girls here seem to have them earlier than that so they must have a different policy there. Ask your Gp and see what they say. How old is your LO? Funny that 3 welsh girls in a row have posted just now! ;) x

My GP gave me a smear at my 6 week PP check so I assume it's OK from then :flower:

I had mine done a whole ago and got my results back last week which were clear :happydance: xx

I had one last summer while I was pregnant. I wonder how often you need to have one?

I hate the fact I can't get one done for another 2 years! at my booking in when I was 8 weeks pregnant they said I should get one at my 6 week appointment after bubzy was born but I know they won't do it. :growlmad:

I still haven't got my results back, I dunno if I'm supposed to phone for them or if they send a letter.

I still haven't got my results back, I dunno if I'm supposed to phone for them or if they send a letter.

I always get a letter. Normally about a month after its done. To the lady asking how long after a baby you can have a smear i had mine at 12 wks pp. The nurse said 10 weeks is really the earliest.

To all ladies who never had one I promise its fine. a minute of discomfort every 3 years could save your life. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->