G & A; UK uses it in labor, in US dental it is not allowed. Whaat??

cookette

Reaction score
Im very obviously confused.

In the UK it sounds as if Gas and Air is a pretty standard protocol. We use it in dental procedures. However, if a patient is pregnant, they are not even allowed in the room where it has been used in the last week. If I were to fall pregnant, I would not be allowed near it for a chance of accidental inhalation from a leaking mask, tube, etc.

I have heard others say we can get it during labor at some hospitals by request. What makes it acceptable in the UK and taboo here?

Over here in the UK, we opt for things like G&A because it's far cheaper than epidurals etc. Our Drs are also more in favour for G&A because it doesn't affect the baby and you recover from it pretty quick after you stop administering it.
As far as I'm aware, in the US, it was slowly faded out because women were opting for epidurals and other forms of pain medication. It's not actually dangerous to pregnant women - it's probably one of those myths that's developed just because it's been phased out. I know that they're trying to reintroduce it over there, and that most insurances would cover the cost. Back in 2011, there were only 2 hospitals in USA that offered gas and air during labour, there are now quite a few more :)

Is it definitely the same thing in the states? In the UK it is call Entonox, it doesn't pass on to the baby at all, it's in your system for a very short period of time (which is why you need it for each contraction). It doesn't actually do anything to pain, just makes you a little woozy so it takes the edge off, I guess similar to pethidine, although pethidine does pass on to your baby.

It's such a shame they don't use it in the States, the idea of a drug free birth would intimidate many but to have to suddenly jump to epidurals is such a radical jump.

I'm a cynic and believe it is more financially profitable for US hospitals to use epidurals for many reasons, thus why medicalised births are much more common than in the UK.

Ooo, interesting point. I guess I just assumed it was the nitrous oxide like we use in dental procedures.

Is it definitely the same thing in the states? In the UK it is call Entonox, it doesn't pass on to the baby at all, it's in your system for a very short period of time (which is why you need it for each contraction). It doesn't actually do anything to pain, just makes you a little woozy so it takes the edge off, I guess similar to pethidine, although pethidine does pass on to your baby.

It's such a shame they don't use it in the States, the idea of a drug free birth would intimidate many but to have to suddenly jump to epidurals is such a radical jump.

I'm a cynic and believe it is more financially profitable for US hospitals to use epidurals for many reasons, thus why medicalised births are much more common than in the UK.

They're both the same thing: a 50:50 mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen :)

That is strange, appeals to my inner cynic lol.

Haha there has to be some sort of financial catch. Epidurals are really expensive to provide, compared to G&A, which costs pennies.
According to a few articles I've been reading, US women tended to opt straight for the epi, so they just phased the G&A out completely. Which is a shame, because it should still be an option for women that don't want to face the risks that come with epidurals.

But if its the same, why is it strictly avoided at dental offices then? We LOSE money by not using it...

Is it to do with the amount they have? Or the fact it's labour when we have it? Would be interesting to know what the protocol is in British dentistry, I've never needed dental work don't and have only heard of anaesthetics being injected.

I'm not entirely sure but I think there are concerns as to the affect of the gas on the baby during development. I assume that during labour it is a different situation and that those risks are gone.

There was an article a while back as it is becoming a popular party drug, folk don't appreciate potential risks and assume that it is harmless.

I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to have a natural birth, it may have to be a section but I'll certainly be seeing how far I can get on gas and air if I get the chance.

These babies are done baking so I am assume it is no big deal when they use it for labor. U.S. used to have this as an option but epidural became more popular .

I don't think they would even allow epidural (if it was strangely an option) if your baby is still baking.

My son used the gas for his fillings (not sure if it made a difference for him) they wanted to put him to sleep and I said no way so I looked for other options and found a dentist that does not do that sort of thing and use gas instead.

But if its the same, why is it strictly avoided at dental offices then? We LOSE money by not using it...

It may be a different dosage used. When I needed dental work, I was offered gas as a way to sedate me, instead of having a proper anesthetic. I assume this is why pregnant ladies should avoid whilst the baby is still developing. :shrug:

It may be a different dosage used. When I needed dental work, I was offered gas as a way to sedate me, instead of having a proper anesthetic. I assume this is why pregnant ladies should avoid whilst the baby is still developing. :shrug:

Im sure you're right, it IS a different dosage. Its also varied through the appt and I would assume we use a significantly less amount of it than a laboring mother would. (Usually we are 70% oxygen and about %30 nitrous). I think its makes sense like you said, the major difference being baby is done developing already.

My son used the gas for his fillings (not sure if it made a difference for him) they wanted to put him to sleep and I said no way so I looked for other options and found a dentist that does not do that sort of thing and use gas instead.

How old is your son? Did he end up doing okay on the gas?

He was around three or four when all this happen (he had caries...they did hospilized him to put him asleep, like they do for surgeries, for filling and caps once but they couldn't save his teeth). They gave him some kind of gas...and as he older he had more. He is fine. It was a pediatrician dentist who was trained to handles gas. Just that the gas did not calm him down so I had to be there t9 c9mfort him

He was around three or four when all this happen (he had caries...they did hospilized him to put him asleep, like they do for surgeries, for filling and caps once but they couldn't save his teeth). They gave him some kind of gas...and as he older he had more. He is fine. It was a pediatrician dentist who was trained to handles gas. Just that the gas did not calm him down so I had to be there t9 c9mfort him

Gas is common practice in neary every dental office :) Whats newer is an oral solution that kids can drink an hour before the appt that sedates them wihout them having to be completely under like a hospital situation. Glad you got your little guy fixed up, hes blessed to have a good momma looking after his teeth at his young age! :flower:

Gas and Air is actually a very strong painkiller - it's just not very persistent in your system.

I remember when I was in labour with my first my hubby was told in no uncertain terms NOT to touch it. It's technically illegal for a start (they have no documentation to treat him etc so if he had any ill effects from it there would be repercussions) but also because of all the adrenaline that's in your system when you're in labour, the G&A doesn't enter the bloodstream.

I personally love the stuff (all the pain relief I've had in both my labours) and while it doesn't stop the pain it's amazing how just breathing in a gas can do so much :haha:

I found this online about "laughing gas" or G&A:

As for long-term effects, nitrous oxide is not a carcinogen or a mutagen. However, chronic exposure can mess up the vitamin B12 in your system, which can lead to impaired DNA synthesis and poor cell growth. Chronic users can end up with something akin to pernicious anemia.

So perhaps its not allowed during pregnancy like a PP said, but only during delivery since the baby is fully developed.

I'm pretty sure it's not the same gas or at least not the same dosage. I've had gas and air at the dentist as a child and it knocked me out completely - g&a taken in labour doesn't do this.

Also there's a big difference between a developing fetus and a fully developed baby in labour. Things like pethidine probably would be off limits as a painkiller earlier in pregnancy but is safe for labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->