Gallstones :(

Boomerslady

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I just posted this in 2nd tri, but as it's not that common, I thought I'd try and get as much info/advice as possible.

I've been having a damn gall stone attack since 10pm last night (I didn't know pain like this existed) I've spoken to an on call doctor who advised that at the moment (as it's slowly easing) there's nothing he can do.

I've got an ultrasound on Tuesday to check for them (but I'm 100% sure it's gallstones) the on call doc said it definately sounded like it.

Anyway....he advised that after my ultrasound depending on the outcome, I may have to decide whether to have my gall bladder removed, he said it's rare, but still safe in pregnancy.

Has anyone else had this done?

Or if you've had gallstones in the past, any clue on immediate remedies for my abdominal pain?? It's excruciating and I don't know if I can do anything to relieve the pain.

Thanks

Try not to worry I work on a surgical ward and see cholecystitis everyday, and we get the odd pregnant lady in too. Like you said many have the ultrasound scan and get discharged, others have a test called ERCP and some have the op to remove the gallbladder, which is usually done laprascopically to minimise pain and recovery time. Not majorly helpful info I know, but you will be well looked after either way. As for pain relief can you get your doc to prescribe you something in the meantime? Or just get down to a+e they will have to admit you but bear in mind some hosps won't scan or have much going on over the weekend.

Sorry to hear that you are suffering. I've had four attacks now 1-2 hours each and was completely taken by surprise on the first one so was advised to go into delivery. They ended up treating me for my UTI I had at the time and completely ignored my attack.

The next two I sat out at home as midwife/doctor I had seen since then seemed unconcerned as it wasn't baby related. Then the one I had this week I went into a+e as wasn't prepared to keep sitting them out, got sent up to maternity and luckily had a good doctor this time who told me it was most likely to be gallstones. Too far gone now for treatment other than diet/reducing fat intake but they may ease up or disappear after giving birth. I'm now advised to go into the delivery/DAU everytime I get an attack, even if I'm sure it's the same thing happening again.

Have you spoken to anyone on your DAU/maternity ward? They may be able to offer you some form of pain relief if you are having prolonged attacks.

In terms of what helps the pain, the only thing I find is hot towels on my back.. I like them on my front as well but it makes baby kick really hard, usually where it hurts most!

Thanks for the advice ladies, I'm still in slight pain at the moment which is worrying me.....I'm scared I'm going yo have another attack.

I called my GP who's prescribed me co codamal, I font really want to take it but I will do once and see what it does. My GP was mad at me for not going to a&e especially as it lasted for 8 hours and I passed out, I just don't like bothering ppl.

Fingers crossed for me it doesn't flare up again or I'll have to go to a&e :(

I wish i could give you some reassuring advice, but i have gallstones, and knew i had them since i was 21, so when i was pregnant with my wee girl i had no problem throughout but unfortunately afterward was a different story, i had her by c section on the monday night and was let out the hospital on the Thursday, i had a niggling pain just under my breast bone to the right. I shrugged it off, but as time went on and on it got worse and worse, eventually was admitted to hospital via an ambulance, after blood tests etc they concluded it was the gallstones and i was admitted to the surgical ward. I was in hospital from the Thursday till the monday night and that was because i pushed them to let me out as i hadn't spend a night at home with my wee girl. I am convinced the reason this attack came on was because of the c section and them tugging away at my tummy, i think they must of lodged one of the stones in a duct. I was in the worst pain of my life and the only thing that helped it was morphine.

This is not to say it will happen to you obviously, i don't know if I would be willing to go through an operation to remove it if i was pregnant... if they perhaps guaranteed me everything would be OK i would consider it as the pain was horrific. Sorry not the best of information you want to hear, like i said this doesn't mean it will happen to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->