GD support thread

I've been trying to keep up with this thread but I just wanted to provide an update, I was at diabetic clinic today and have been prescribed 500mg of metformin twice a day, once with breakfast and one with my evening meal. I just feel a bit disappointed really as I only had a few high numbers, but I guess the doctors know best!
Has anybody suffered any side effects with these tablets as my nurse said they could give me an upset tummy.
Hope everyone is ok x

I'm on the same hun, as when I went for my growth scan baby was bit on the big side even though I had been managing my numbers ok since starting metformin in mornings :dohh:

I was a little gutted but they just said it will help keep things in check and should help baby not grow too much before next scan - though will have to wait and see what good it actually does!

I have noticed my numbers are easier to control now :happydance:

I too was warned about the side effects of metformin by both the nurse and my mum (she didn't tolerate metformin at all!!) But I have been fine, you will know quite quickly if it agrees with you or not! Just make sure you let someone know if you get any issues - been told it can take up to a week before you see any change to numbers but I noticed a difference in mine within a few days :happydance:

Hopefully you'll notice a difference for the better x

I've been trying to keep up with this thread but I just wanted to provide an update, I was at diabetic clinic today and have been prescribed 500mg of metformin twice a day, once with breakfast and one with my evening meal. I just feel a bit disappointed really as I only had a few high numbers, but I guess the doctors know best!
Has anybody suffered any side effects with these tablets as my nurse said they could give me an upset tummy.
Hope everyone is ok x

I'm on the same hun, as when I went for my growth scan baby was bit on the big side even though I had been managing my numbers ok since starting metformin in mornings :dohh:

I was a little gutted but they just said it will help keep things in check and should help baby not grow too much before next scan - though will have to wait and see what good it actually does!

I have noticed my numbers are easier to control now :happydance:

I too was warned about the side effects of metformin by both the nurse and my mum (she didn't tolerate metformin at all!!) But I have been fine, you will know quite quickly if it agrees with you or not! Just make sure you let someone know if you get any issues - been told it can take up to a week before you see any change to numbers but I noticed a difference in mine within a few days :happydance:

Hopefully you'll notice a difference for the better x

Thanks for the reply Nicky, I wasn't able to pick my prescription up today so I will be starting tomorrow so hopefully no side effects for me!!

My growth scan estimated that the baby is weighing 5lb 1oz I know these scans can be off so I'm not too worried about this.

I have been having problems with my fasting numbers so hopefully this will help. I have to call the nurse on Tuesday and give her my numbers so she can check the dosage is correct. Hopefully I will be as fortunate as you and see a difference quickly. :)

[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply Nicky, I wasn't able to pick my prescription up today so I will be starting tomorrow so hopefully no side effects for me!!

My growth scan estimated that the baby is weighing 5lb 1oz I know these scans can be off so I'm not too worried about this.

I have been having problems with my fasting numbers so hopefully this will help. I have to call the nurse on Tuesday and give her my numbers so she can check the dosage is correct. Hopefully I will be as fortunate as you and see a difference quickly. :)[/QUOTE]

At my scan @ 31+5 bubs was estimated at 4lb 11oz but I wasn't too surprised as my lb was 10lb 6 at bith!!

If they have the dosage right then I would have thought you'd see an improvement by tues, I would also think you would notice by then if the metformin is likely to cause any nasty side effects too! Esp if you only had a few readings out to begin with anyways!

They put me on slightly tighter controls (5.5 before and 7.5 after meals) thats why they increased my metformin by 500mg with evening meal - even though I already had good control. I now have better control and so hopefully be better for baby so althouh initially I was upset I figured its for the best.

2 weeks to go until I find out if its made a difference! :happydance:

At my scan @ 31+5 bubs was estimated at 4lb 11oz but I wasn't too surprised as my lb was 10lb 6 at bith!!

If they have the dosage right then I would have thought you'd see an improvement by tues, I would also think you would notice by then if the metformin is likely to cause any nasty side effects too! Esp if you only had a few readings out to begin with anyways!

They put me on slightly tighter controls (5.5 before and 7.5 after meals) thats why they increased my metformin by 500mg with evening meal - even though I already had good control. I now have better control and so hopefully be better for baby so althouh initially I was upset I figured its for the best.

2 weeks to go until I find out if its made a difference! :happydance:[/QUOTE]

I have just taken my first metformin tablet with my evening meal, so hopefully I should see some changes. I made the mistake of reading the leaflet after I had taken the tablet and it says not to take if pregnant or breast feeding so now I'm panicking a bit :( I have been prescribed metabet sr ill have to ring the diabetic nurse tomorrow

Yeah here in Canada they don't prescribe metformin during pregnancy because oral meds cross the placenta easier than injections... We only have the option of injecting insulin.

I'm finding it harder to control my numbers, I guess the hormones are just getting stronger as I get further along. So I think I will ask my dr about insulin, even though I'm terrified of having it. I've heard it actually not even as bad as taking your BG levels though??

5 more weeks to go though and I don't think I can keep it up with diet and exercise along :(.

Well I stopped taking my insulin two days before my c section because I couldn't keep my numbers up I kept plummeting sure enough it looks as if my GD just went away by itself my numbers have been fine even before I had him. He weighed in at 9lbs even and went home today at 8lbs blood sugars were fine!

After being told whole prefnancy I'd be inducted at 37-38 wks as on insulin, I received my Indiction date last week for exactly 39wks. Baby was measuring average at 36&5 he was 6lb5 so they'd rather keep him there as long as possible. At most I've 11 days left :) induction date 23rd may with expected delivery 24th may :) ekkkk not long x

Did any of you get thrush or itchy down there with gd?

I have not yet, although it is still early for me, but yeast infections are very common in pregnancy and even more common in gd pregnancies according to my midwife!

Well I stopped taking my insulin two days before my c section because I couldn't keep my numbers up I kept plummeting sure enough it looks as if my GD just went away by itself my numbers have been fine even before I had him. He weighed in at 9lbs even and went home today at 8lbs blood sugars were fine!

congrats I was wondering how you were :) hope your recovering well and ejoy your little boy now :flower:

Hi ladies, im new to this thread and going for my gtt tommorow morning, im 33 weeks on wednesday and for the last 6 weeks or so i have had sugar in my urine but they put it down to the fact im on steroids, i was in at triage last week due to headaches and my urine then showed 4++++ of glucose in my urine so they arranged for me to have this test tommorow morning, i had an appt with my haemotologist last thurs and happened to mention all of this to him and he did the finger prick test and my levels came back at 8.7 and this was 2 and 1/2 hours after eating lunch, i have no clue what this means, does anyone know if this is good or not?

Thanks in advance xx

Hi ladies, im new to this thread and going for my gtt tommorow morning, im 33 weeks on wednesday and for the last 6 weeks or so i have had sugar in my urine but they put it down to the fact im on steroids, i was in at triage last week due to headaches and my urine then showed 4++++ of glucose in my urine so they arranged for me to have this test tommorow morning, i had an appt with my haemotologist last thurs and happened to mention all of this to him and he did the finger prick test and my levels came back at 8.7 and this was 2 and 1/2 hours after eating lunch, i have no clue what this means, does anyone know if this is good or not?

Thanks in advance xx

Hi, sorry you have to go through this like the rest of us :/

My guideline for 2 hr readings is 6.7 and under. 8.7 after 2.5 hrs would indicate GD but I guess after your test tomorrow you'll have those results with a diagnosis. What did you eat at the meal before he pricked your finger?

Thanks in advance xx

My guideline for 2 hr readings is 6.7 and under. 8.7 after 2.5 hrs would indicate GD but I guess after your test tomorrow you'll have those results with a diagnosis. What did you eat at the meal before he pricked your finger?

Well being as pregnant as i am i have a big appettite so i had macaroni cheese and chips lol xx

Thanks in advance xx

Well being as pregnant as i am i have a big appettite so i had macaroni cheese and chips lol xx

Hey no judgement here. Before I was diagnosed I was eating like a package of candy everyday :) lol. Gaining weight like a cow too of course lol!

Macaroni and chips = total carbs. (Certain carbs spike your blood sugar with GD). The cheese has some protein and fat… but that’s basically a carb meal so I can see why your number was so high! I can eat about 1/2 cup of mac and cheese (whole grain pasta, not white) and pair it with veggies (not potatoes) and some chicken breast and my numbers will be fine.

You will probably just need to rethink your meals, focus on protein and veggies and have less servings of carbs like wheat, pasta, potatoes, corn…

You’ve only got 7 more weeks to go so hopefully you can just adjust your diet to get your numbers under control!

Hopefully I didn’t confuse you here… if you are positive on your test tomorrow ask your Dr to send you to a dietician and GD clinic if they don’t automatically do that. I would be lost without that support… I thought I needed to cut all carbs out of my diet and that’s not true!!

Congratulations. :happydance::happydance:

Induction scheduled for 8am tomorrow :) will be exactly 39wks (not the 37-38 I was told throughout pregnancy!) but baby average. Weighing 7lb2 yesterday. Ekkk scared, nervous and excited to finally met out little man :):) xx

Induction scheduled for 8am tomorrow :) will be exactly 39wks (not the 37-38 I was told throughout pregnancy!) but baby average. Weighing 7lb2 yesterday. Ekkk scared, nervous and excited to finally met out little man :):) xx

They’re inducing because he is 7 lb? My baby was 6lb5 at my last ultrasound last week… I wonder if they will induce me as well. Or do you have any other factors for induction?

Good luck!!

They’re inducing because he is 7 lb? My baby was 6lb5 at my last ultrasound last week… I wonder if they will induce me as well. Or do you have any other factors for induction?

Good luck!!

I know that where I am they aim for induction about 38-39 weeks for those that can't control their diabetes with diet alone. If you can then they'll let you go to 40+6 before inducing you.

Places do differe though x

That's right nikynora. I'm being induced as I'm insulin controlled, not because of babies weight. Ive managed to control blood sugars well with Insulin ehich is why hes average but still the added risks of placenta breakdown plus I have High blood pressure. Thanks :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->