Gestational Diabetes Group - Us vs. the Carbs

Amelie, have you tried making French toast? My hubby has made it the last two weekends with thick sliced bread and 1 more egg than pieces of bread. Even with real, Canadian maple syrup on it, my numbers have dropped .2 - .4 from fasting after eating it. I know it is quite realy toast, but it does help eat eggs in another way.

You look great Amelie! I know the feeling of missing food gets stronger when you are nearer the finish line. You are nearly there! If it's any comfort just know that I have not been craving anything in particular and aside from a treat here and there and lots of oatmeal, I have not radically changed my diet. I think this GD diet caused a permanent shift in the way I eat. I find myself needing those extra portions of vegetables and fruits otherwise I don't feel good. I have not eaten a single bar of chocolate or binged on crisps, which were a standard part of my diet before. I feel no desire for them.

BTW, 2 weeks and 2 days postpartum I am 8 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight. I am really pleased with that :)

I feel a bit better this morning and my sugars weren't elevated when I got up today.

Baby had been having a relatively quiet few days and now is moving a lot and feels significantly bigger. I think she was growing a lot and putting a strain on me.

I hope after this baby I can eat well forever :rofl: after GD pregnancy #2 I did take up exercise seriously and I miss it a lot. I really like eating and I preferred being able to eat what I wanted but exercising to burn it off.

Amelie, I am totally with you. My DH says he hopes he never loses the ability to work out cause he will weigh 300 lbs if he does! It's not that we don't eat healthy normally, just that it is nice to have the ice cream or cake or donut occasionally. I am still exercising but have slowed down a ton in the last few weeks.

You do look great! If I could ever figure out how to post pics, I would.

Congrats oneway on doing so well with weight loss! I am definitely going to stick with some things from my GD diet, but it will be nice to add the occasional splurge in without worry.

I still have my cravings for sweets but it has def. gone down dramatically. I sense it is also because during my testing my luck phase, I found that there are foods I can eat without my sugar sky rocketing. I mean, I can still eat 1-2 cups of pasta with sauce, garlic bread, with a salad and some fruit and be under the 120 I'm supposed to be at or less 2 hours later. I did go "off" of the diet a few weeks ago, meaning, not completely off but def. not eating how I had been. Less salads, wraps, etc. and I felt really icky. =( I now actually enjoy eating this way. Though I won't feel bad after baby is born if I have a candy bar or something like I do now (even though even a hershey bar is fine for me). My husband loves it too! He has been doing it with me and since the beginning of it has lost 35 pounds! =) Our home scale stopped working. He says he enjoys going to the OB "for himself as well" because he can check his weight every 2 weeks :haha:

I use just a photo uploader website for pictures on here.

My husband is just getting well fed as I still bake and make puddings with the kids and then force them onto him to eat :rofl: he is skinny though.

I had my diabetic checkup appointment this morning. I have technically lost 2 pounds since my appointment 2 weeks ago, but it was right when I woke up and hadn't ate bfast yet. So far I'm able to control it with my diet and don't need any medications yet. I'm almost 33 weeks, so hopefully I can keep controlling it with diet.

I'm really looking forward to eating pancakes and hash browns for breakfast again!

I'm pretty much over testing and injecting right now. It's terrible after all of this time, but I'm fed up with it. I haven't been getting sick so my numbers are in check because I get symptomatic if not. I take insulin if I'm eating something I know will shoot my numbers up, but not necessarily check in to ensure afterwards.

I just want this baby OUT now.

Congrats oneway on doing so well with weight loss! I am definitely going to stick with some things from my GD diet, but it will be nice to add the occasional splurge in without worry.

I totally agree with that. Not worrying about every mouthful is a huge relief. My total weight loss from my last week of pregnancy to now is nearly 25 lbs. I have lost all the baby weight and am now in the process of losing my pre-pregnancy weight. I was overweight when I got pregnant. I was 156 lbs at 5'4". I am now at 148 lbs. My goal weight is 132 or less although if I go below 140 I will be very pleased because I have not weighed that little for about 10 years.

Interestingly enough when I started breastfeeding with my first I actually gained weight. But with this baby I am losing weight. So maybe the GD diet changed something in my metabolism.

Nothern, are they still looking at inducing this Thursday for you? You are so close to done, just hang in there a little bit longer.

:hi:

I'm really struggling this week. I'm now on metformin with every meal and insulin 4 times a day. I'm really trying and still feel like I'm failing, it's really starting to get me down. I'm not enjoying food and feeling anxious when it's time to test and then if it is a high reading I get very down and feel guilty and end up overthinking my whole day. I'm only 18 weeks so a long road ahead too.
I've also had 2 lows in my sleep over the weekend which I've never had before and they absolutely terrified me. I am going to ring my midwife this afternoon for some advise.
You all sound so positive, sorry for my downer post xxx

:hi:

You all sound so positive, sorry for my downer post xxx

Don't worry about that! We have all been there and will probably be there again. I know I had a time right after a doctor visit where I felt like I was failing and I still have a hard time not thinking of just barely under as being too high. Then today I have been under 5 all day and I'm starting to freak out that maybe something is wrong because they dropped so much and I am eating normally. But it has only been one day and it could still go sky high tomorrow for the whole day and make me even more frustrated. Support is what we are here for!

Nothern, are they still looking at inducing this Thursday for you? You are so close to done, just hang in there a little bit longer.

I have to see her tomorrow and she's going to do another ultrasound and sweep, and we're going to see how my cervix is looking. If it looks like I'm making progress and could go on my own in the next week, she might let me go just for the sake of increasing the odds of my VBAC. If not, her schedule got changed so it might be Saturday to be induced.

Amelie, I have a question for you. It's a bit off-topic but I hope you can help! How do you manage your day-to-day life with 2 kids and also work part-time and also fix delicious meals for your family? Do you have a strict routine? I am not a routine person. I am a "wing-it" kind of person. But I realize now that with a pre-schooler and a baby in the house and a husband who travels frequently for work I need to be more organized. It was ok to wing-it with one child. But with 2 kids I need to have more of a schedule. How do you work a routine without feeling like it's hard work?

Hmmmm. I don't do strict routine. I did find once there were two kids I had to do proper meal plans to make sure we weren't all having to go to the shops constantly, it also seemed to help me having a plan for what we would be eating.

I find my girls are better for getting out so we aim to only have one full day in the house each week and we go to at least a couple of toddler groups.

If I'm honest I don't stress a lot about household chores, I do what I can....

Oh, and since dd1 has been at preschool two days a week we try and be up, dressed and out the house by 9am even on non school days.

So I know that I only have one yet, but we both work full time, DD is in school and needs to be run around to her activities, OH plays sports 3xs a week, when I'm not pregnant I'm at activities 3xs a week, etc. I have to have a tight schedule and plan our meals, have a cleaning schedule etc. I don't see it changing much!

I hasten to add, when DD2 was first born my daily aim was just to keep them both alive!

....And my sanity.

I hasten to add, when DD2 was first born my daily aim was just to keep them both alive!

....And my sanity.

Thanks for this! That's where I find myself at the current moment. I guess I need to give myself some time to adjust to this big life change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->