Gestational diabetes.

Joyzerelly

Mama to two darlings
Reaction score
I'm 8 weeks and 5 days pregnant and I can't stop drinking, I'm so thirsty and am drinking cold drinks; water and squash a lot. I know its normal to need to drink more in pregnancy (what with making all that blood) but I'm a little concerned about gestational diabetes. How early would it be likely to kick in? And are there any factors which make certain people more likely to get it? (I have a low bmi and am 28)

I have been given an extra blood test to have as my Dad is diabetic. I think I'm meant to get it done before 16 weeks (they have given me a letter and a pouch for the bloods to get sent off in) You have to drink a lucozade 2 hours before the test. Maybe you could mention your worry to the midwife and they can send you for a test too xxxx

I've had a lot of shakes/dizzyness/confusion but I think this is just low blood sugar, something I have always seemed to suffer with.

Good luck my lovely x

I will be offered a test at 28 weeks! Due to my BMI. I did have a recent test for sugar in my urine and it came back clear so I assume you will have the same tests early on x

My blood sugar is all over the place but I thought it was too early for gestationla diabetes?

Hi there,
Gestational diabetes usually appears in the second half of pregnancy and the symptoms are exactly the same as actual pregnancy - increased thirst, increased urination and tiredness!!! I was really worried about it too, I am not usually a massive drinker but these days cant stop! But I peed on a stick at work and it was all fine!!
But defo speak to your midwife if you are worried!
xxx

Oh I've already had my urine tested too, at 5 weeks, and the midwife has already taken bloods for glucose etc, so I suppose I just wait for the results. As you all say, thirst is probably just normal in pregnancy, I feel reassured. I must admit I didn't know that gestational diabetes only normally appears in the 2nd tri.
Thanks

with my 2st lo i was tested it for at 16 weeks routine im only small slim and not over bmi but didnt have it any ways i think i will be offered it again as routine at 16 weeks if i want to have it xxx

I was diagnosed with GD at 19 weeks with my daughter and was prescribed a diet and insulin right away. I was never thirsty, nor was I overweight, and nothing seemed amiss with me, but everyone is different. :hug:

My sister had it in the second half of her pregnancy and had to change her diet and take insulin daily. She was overweight then, but had a healthy baby girl that was not too big!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->