Getting nervous!!! Help!

JASMAK

Mom of three
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could "walk me through" what will happen when I get my lap/hysterscopy/D&C? What happens, where do I go, how will it feel, anything I should bring with me? I am so nervous!! I get mine on April 22. I just think I would feel better if I knew what to expect when I arrive and afterwards.

Sorry hun - I've not had one so can't really comment. Good luck though - I hope it goes well

I've had 3 and all have been slightly different because they have been at different hospitals etc. But the basic rundown is...

1. You arrive at the hospital at the arranged time. You might have to sign something or fill out a bit of paperwork.

2. A nurse will then take you to room where you change into a robe and the surgery booties and cap. Don't worry about the robes, the first one is the one where your bum shows but then you get a bathrobe over top of that.

3. Waiting...unless you're going private. I've gone private once and it all went ahead quickly...public however is a different story!

4. The anaesthesiologist will come talk to you and ask if you have any allergies blah blah blah. They will explain what they will do which is basically administer drugs and keep an eye on you during surgery and top up drugs if need be.

5. You'll then get a catheter in your hand, this is where they will put a pre-med or induction drug and also a bag of IV fluids.

6. You'll either then be wheeled into surgery and get started or you will be in your bed awaiting surgery.

7. The next part is the best...DRUGS :rofl: i'm not sure if you have had an anaesthetic before but it is the best thing ever!!! You drift off to sleep so nicely and it feels like the best sleep you've ever had.

8. The surgery itself for a lap/hyp is generally only about 20-30 mins.

9. You'll wake up feeling VERY groggy and you will most likely drift in and out of sleep. 2/3 times I woke up with a lovely heat pack on my tummy and wasn't in any pain really, just a bit tender, but the last time I woke up and was buzzing the nurses straight away for some drugs because I was in pain...then came the morphine...that shit is great :rofl:

10. When you're awake enough and you've had something to eat (such as a sandwich and something to drink) you will be discharged. Then it is home time and time to recover.

When you wake up, if you're in pain then ask for some pain relief because the best pain drugs are at the hospital! Also, ask your Dr for a script for a strong painkiller so that if you are in lots of pain in the days after you can get some relief.

As far as pain, all of mine were quite different.

1st one was pretty much to check for endo and nothing was done. Apart from some bloating from the gass and feeling very slightly tender, I was A-ok and after 2 days I was completely back to normal. I had 2 incisions with this one. 1 of course in my belly button and 1 around my pubic bone.

2nd one was for investigation and apart from a good look I had D&C, biopsy, dye in tubes, check for endo and other stuff etc. I only had the once incision in my belly button. OMFG, to be completely honest I was in agony for the next week and it took me about 3 weeks to feel back to normal. I reckon he butchered me (he was an awful Dr) because a large part of my tummy was black and blue. He also failed to pick up my problems :rolleyes: Even with prescribed painkillers and 60mg of codeine a pop it did nothing for my pain (extreme case though, ignore this!!)

3rd one was to remove my septum and to burn off bits of endo found and he also did a D&C while down there and another tube dye test. I had 3 incisions. Belly button, right of tummy and pubic bone. I was sore with this one but nothing I couldn't handle, and I did have some strong prescription pain killers so that was ok. I felt back to normal within a week.

Just make sure you take it really easy the first week after. No lifting or doing anything physical really...make DH do it all!

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions :)

FJL Thank you so much, I'm actually on a waiting list for D&C and dye tests - so it was good to read what happens with you. I'm going private, so hopefully there wont be a long wait - I'm hoping to hear from them this month, thats what they told me.

Jas - good luck sweetheart, I'm sure you'll be fine.

You already have such a detailed answer so I don't need to add my experience. I only had a lap & dye and had no major problems apart from the slight pain. No need to get nervous you will be fine :hugs::hugs:

Don't have anything to add really, just wanted to say good luck and I'm sure everything will be just fine! :hug:

I had a lap and dye. But it seems it may be different (only very slightly) in the UK. But pretty much the same. I had mild endo removed so was feeling rather sore for some time after.
I was also out of it for most of the day due to high dose of anaesthetic and morphine. But after anti-sickness drug and lots of sleep was fine :) Just a little sleepy.
I found one the biggest causes of soreness was the stitches, once they disolved after a ouple of weeks it felt a lot better. I recommend loose, comfy trousers!
All in all it wasn't that bad and was worth it to get answers. I'm sure you will be absolutely fine and I wish you luck :hugs:

I have not had one, but just wanted to wish you good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->