Getting started help :/

jenny82

Reaction score
LO is only one day old but already one of my nipples is cracked and the other hurts like hell :(

She will latch on fine and is getting her milk but I'm not getting her positioned right and its agony. I'm already dreading the next feed and I shouldn't feel like that.

I've tried lying side by side on the bed which was ok but I couldn't keep her held in. The rugby type position and front position hurt so much but the MW has said I'm not getting her on right. I really don't know what to do!

The beginning is so hard because your nipples aren't used to this much sucking and plus since in the beginning there is no real milk but only colostrum I think the baby just sucks really hard for those few drops of that nutritious pre-milk causing cracked/bleeding nipples - Use some type of Lanolin between feeds (I have the kind that you don't have to wash off between feeds which is much better because the less you have to touch/mess with your nipples at this delicate time the better)

Once your milk comes in at 3/4 days time the cracking will start to heal/scab over and in a week's time should be totally fine with no more pain - the most important thing is to make sure that baby has a very big wide open mouth for latching (watch youtube videos if there is noone to help you nearby with latch - that's what I did and it really did help me - just look up breastfeeding and latch and you should find some really good stuff to help you)

Good luck - I promise it will get better :flower:

PS. It took about 1 week to not dread feeds...after that I had a latch problem with lefty which took another two weeks to resolve (felt like knives across my nipple when he fed on that side - I even pumped it to avoid him feeding on it for a few times). Now at 4 weeks both sides feel fine when feeding...the beginning is definitely the hardest...I didn't think it would get better...I was crying when he fed and resented him...keep going hon if you can...it should get better with time.

I think dreading the next feed is reasonably common to be honest - I know I cried at the thought of having to feed LO again a few times in the early days. As PP said, your nipples just aren't used to facing such an onslaught, and LO has such a tiny mouth in the beginning, it takes a little time to get the hang of things.

Your midwife was probably right that you may not be attaching LO in an optimum position. Maybe contact a local lactation consultant or La Leche League or the NCT and ask them for help. Ideally you need face to face support and someone to show you, rather than just tell you you're doing it wrong and try and talk you through it.

Completely agree about youtube. There are some brilliantly clear videos of ladies of all different sizes and shapes, and seeing it in action can really help make things clearer.

It will get easier, it's just about getting through these first few weeks. Hang in there and get yourself some good support.

Good luck :)

Congrats, Jenny!!

Lansinoh and boobs air drying helped me...I had the same, so painful...bleeding and cracked. Promise it does get better. :hugs:

Thanks ladies - didn't get a chance to pop back on but am going to youtube those videos now. My MW runs or is part of a breastfeeding support group so am going to get info from her tomorrow.

She hasn't fed much since about lunchtime. Won't stay on for long and it is very, very painful when she does. Have lansinoh and i'll work on the boob air drying - visitors are banned for the next few days as its just too much for us all. (Am so worried about wee man the toddler but thats for a whole other thread) :(

Congrats Jenny!!

All of the above advice looks great (haven't read it all).

Feeding a newborn laying down is difficult so don't worry about that position too much.

Definitely sounds like a latching issue. Agree with boob airing advice and rub your own milk/colostrum on the sore area and let them air!

Don't be afraid to take things back to basics. Lots of skin to skin and even a bath together. All this will help the milk producing hormone.

Definitely get help from a latch on/breastfeeding group. I'm a peer supporter and the groups are there to offer support and help.

I hope the wee man is okay. He'll adapt quicker than you expect. Did you see a thread I started when I had just had my little lady (titled "please help"?!!). Well everything has settled down now. It does get easier and you will all be fine.xx

No but I'll go have a look now - I was in tears everytime I looked at him yesterday although thankfully a little better today :)

She fed really well overnight and the cream has really, really helped. Its still sore but not quite the razor blades it was. The youtube videos really helped and OH has been so good in helping too. Just going to take each day as it comes - but today is a good one :thumbup:

Glad to hear you have had a better day. You'll get ups and downs but things will become much more consistent.

I was just the same as you when I had my little girl. I would look at Elliott and cry so much. Hormones eh?!! Elliott loves his little sister and we can't imagine life any other way.

You'll be fine. Give it a few weeks and everything will fall in to place. :hugs: xxxx

Another bad day coinciding with the same MW I had on monday.

She hasn't slept in her moses basket yet *disgruntled look*.

She has lost 1lb of her birth weight *disgruntled look*

If she hasn't gained any by tomorrow, they want to supplement with formula :cry: I thought yesterday had gone ok but apparently even though shes latching, not enough is getting in. I wasn't listening to her swallowing and there isn't as much swallowing as needed. Shes had loads of pee & poo nappies though so I don't understand it. I have never felt like as much of a shit as I did when the MW left. COuldn't even look at her...

It takes time for an improved latch to show results; it won't happen overnight! Also it isn't expected for a baby to start regaining their birthweight until at least 4 days; and in some cases they only start regaining at 7 days plus-so to say if she hasn't started regaining by tomorrow is very premature and is unfair pressure. Under normal circumstances they are only meant to weigh once at about 5 days to see percentage of weight loss, then again at 14 days to see if birthweight has been regained-even if the loss is a bit more than normal at 5 days they should only weigh maybe at 10 days just to make sure the weight is on the up again. Weighing every 2 days is really innaccurate. My youngest only started regaining at 7 days but regained 3oz in 24 hours and was nearly up to 8lbs (was born 8lb 2) by about 11 days; he then stayed static for a few days and by 15 days was a few grams off his birthweight but less than 72 hours later he had gained 4-5oz on top of his birthweight; the only reason he was weighed so often was because he was poorly in hospital otherwise he would not have been. Would it be possible to ask for a different midwife to come who isn't as obnoxious and hurtful? xx

:hugs:

I'm not sure it'll make you feel any better, but how you are feeling is pretty common as has been said and certainly I spent the first 4 weeks or so thinking FF would have been much easier and a lot less painful, even though I was taking 4 lots of paracetamol a day, every day for 4 weeks. I too dreaded the next feed and wouldn't let anyone hold the baby as I was so scared she'd wake up and need feeding. Now, it's SO easy and convenient and I can't believe I ever considered any other way of feeding my babies. (I didn't BF my first 3 for very long)

A latch problem would cause sore/damaged nipples and could also affect milk transfer, so affect baby's weight gain. However, if your baby is having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and the mecomium has gone to a greeny colour now, I would be inclined to ask your midwife to hold off formula tops ups for now and try and optimise BF. Your milk has probably only started coming in today or maybe won't until tomorrow and supplementing with formula now will be damaging to your supply.

You could also get some advice from one of the BF helplines (La Leche, NCT or BFN are good) They will have experience of this and be keen to find a solution that enables you to keep BF.

I phoned La Leche this morning but there was no answer. Will try again later.

Shes only 3 days old so I thought supplementing was a bit premature as well. Luckily the MW is off tomorrow so I will hopefully get a nicer one. My nipples are still sore and its sore when she goes on but it usually eases off. I will keep listening for the swallowing sound. I also wasn't changing sides often enough. I just assumed you did one boob for a while, then the other, but was told I need to be switching more often, especially if she stops swallowing. So i'll keep doing that today.

You can keep switching, but you can if you want. 'Switch nursing' will help increase the amount of milk your baby has, but it is quite normal for a newborn to feed, rest, feed, rest, feed, rest... Unless your baby is excessively sleepy or ill in some way, they will know how long they need to stay on the breast for and you can swap to the other breast once they come off by themselves.

I never noticed my baby swallowing early on. Even now it's not that obvious except at the start of feeds, even then not always. The Jack Newman site has some good videos about how to recognise 'good' sucking/swallowing, you might find them helpful?

Well OH is taking LO out this afternoon so I can just sit with her and try to nurse. I did some skin to Skin this morning but find it too cold for us to do that downstairs.

MW is also finding me a breast pump so that I can express to encourage milk flow. She's going to call later if they have one.

Be careful about expressing too much just yet - you shouldn't really express before your supply is established, at 6 weeks or so.

It does sound like everything is ok and you and your baby are just learning how to BF. Switch nursing can work well, just allow LO to come off the breast naturally. Don't worry about how long she feeds for or how often, just keep offering milk. The first few weeks are hard, but it really does get so much easier once you're over the initial weeks.

God there's nothing worse than that feeling of dread when the baby starts crying and you know another horrendous feed is coming up. My OH would take our sprog in the other room to try and settle her but I could always tell from the type of cry that it was boob she wanted. The early days can be soooooooo tough - I spent many an hour in tears feeling helpless and desperate. The only thing I can say, like so many others, is that it does become so much easier with time. Hard to think this tho when your nipples feel like they've been attacked with a brillo pad...

Thanks ladies :hugs:

I had a major freak out earlier and almost sent OH to mothercare for formula and bottles. My toddler won't come to me anymore - its always to daddy and the baby was hungry all day. I didn't move from the sofa from 12 today, doing skin to skin and feeding and she was still hungry at half 6. In the end I hand-expressed and gave her some off a spoon that way which satisfied her a little.

FOund a bf support group down the road from me which is apparently on tomorrow but won't know for sure until the morning. I really don't want to give up as I was so sure I would be ok this time round...

She's just trying to build your milk supply! Is she really only 4 days old? Just let her nurse for as long as she wants. This stage won't last forever (thankfully!)

Your toddler will understand - plenty of children have had to deal with their younger sibling being the centre of mom's attention for a while.

I hope the support group is on and you get some encouragement to keep going and let your LO and your body do what they need to do :)

I hope the support group helps you. I went to a local one and found it brillaint.

I found the first few weeks really hard and I think it is quite normal. Baby and you are learning what to do and it takes a little while. Your nipples aren't used to but hopefully the pain will ease soon. Lansinoh cream really helped so I would recommend that. I also watched videos on You Tube which I found quite helpful. I invested in a Widgy cushion too which I found helped with positioning the baby to get a good latch.

Well this morning before 7am I went to tesco and bought some bottles and milk :cry: she barely fed at all overnight and I cried all night :/

She lost another ounce overnight and is really lethargic. She's gone from 7lb10 to 6lb9. I have a womb infection and possibly an infection/thrush in my nipples.

The meeting wasnt on but the LLL lady rang me back earlier. She suggested good ways of easing the nipple pain. Have a docs appointment in the morning just to check LO as everyone is so worried about the weight loss (even the LLL lady) and also to see about me too. I'm just sick with worry now. I've been able to hand express some milk and am mixing that with formula. She seems to be taking it ok but still v sleepy. It just all has gone so wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->